Spaghetti Squash

Options
brittldb
brittldb Posts: 12
Has anybody used spaghetti squash inplace of pasta noodles when making spaghetti? I want to try it, but I'm scared it will taste funny.

Replies

• 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I've never had it before but, I am trying all sorts of "new" things. There is nothing to fear, but fear itself! Go for it!:smile:
  • sky379
    sky379 Posts: 46
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is the best! It doesn't really have much of a taste, but will take on the taste of whatever sauce you use. Its good with some evoo and some butter and basil. or really good with some pesto and add a whole bunch of veggies into it. but you can treat it as spaghetti and use spaghetti sauce.

You won't be disappointed. It's a great vegetable.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I love it. It does not taste like pasta but if you like vegetables it really a great substitute. I roast mine for an hour and then freeze it in single serving 2 cup sizes. When I want to make it I add it to 1/2 cup of sauce and 1/2 cup of water and cook it for a while. I usually add zucchini and yellow squash to the sauce also. You get a ton of food for very little calories and carbs. Sometimes I add a piece of chicken or fish.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time. I usually put a little salt and pepper on it before I steam it and then eat it with spaghetti sauce.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    it's firmer, crunchier (in a veggie-way) than pasta.

It's yummy! Go for it! Worst possible outcome? You try it just once. Best? A new food to eat that is SO low-cal!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    It tastes like squash with spaghetti sauce on it..............its good.:bigsmile:
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is amazing.
  • robin49505
    robin49505 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You would basically be having sauce over veges - don't go into it thinking it will taste or feel like spaghetti. I love squash so it's a good meal - you would still be getting carbs but better carbs.
  • kelr04
    kelr04 Posts: 15
    Options
    How do you cook it???
  • denise3085
    denise3085 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time this week - in baked spaghettie casserole. I LOVED IT!
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half, place the halves face down on a cooking sheet (I put tin foil down), cook on 425 for 30 minutes, then scoop out with a fork or an ice cream scoop.

I absolutely love it. I don't think it's a great pasta replacement, but I like to saute onions, tomatoes, sometimes mushrooms and throw it into the cooked squash. It's really, REALLY good.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I made this a few times during the winter...modified the recipe so I could make a regular sized pan of it. I also added mushrooms and browned ground turkey.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html

Spaghetti squash doesn't have the consistency of noodles but it's fun and crunchy...lol.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I spiralize zuchinni and use in place of noodles.

zuchinni.jpg
  • KRob9
    KRob9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My fiance' hates squash, but I told him he had to try spaghetti squash. I used this recipe and he LOVED it!!! Even he said, "Well, they're not really noodles, but still tastes like spaghetti to me!

This is the recipe we used. It's more of a casserole. We used less cheese...and traded the cheddar for mozzarella.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-spaghetti-squash-with-beef-and-veggies/detail.aspx

Enjoy!!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options

zuchinni.jpg
    GREAT idea....like this! Thanks for sharing...
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

zuchinni.jpg

Do you have some kind of tool to do this easily? May sound dumb but until I started this site I did not cook much. :)
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm spaghetti squash! Doesn't tastate like noodles, but so much better!
  • BriskaPacojame
    Options

zuchinni.jpg

how do you do that??
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Has anybody used spaghetti squash inplace of pasta noodles when making spaghetti? I want to try it, but I'm scared it will taste funny.

I make it all the time. The first time I made it my then 4 year old saw me baking the squash and got whiny about it. Said, "I'm not eating any of that!"

Then I made up his plate. It was 50/50 whole wheat angel hair and spaghetti squash and marinara with black beans and grated carrot in it. He licked the plate clean and said, "Thank you for not making me eat squash!"

He was never the wiser and never will be. :wink:
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

zuchinni.jpg

Do you have some kind of tool to do this easily? May sound dumb but until I started this site I did not cook much. :)

yes i bought a spiralizer off amazon. This one in paticular: http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332534724&sr=8-1