Does anyone carb cycle?

Options
My PT says to give it a whirl to help me get the most out of training and a fat burn...he thinks that I am probably eating more carbs than I should.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Would you clarify a bit ?
    What do you want to achieve exactly, and how is it working so far for you ?
    thanks!
  • Eimear78
    Eimear78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I haven't started it yet but it's a fat burning body building nutrition thing. 1 day low carb, 1 day medium carb and 1 day high car (for high intensity training).
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    In fact, is just a way of managing the way you eat. If you eat in excess, you can cycle and gain weight at the same time. Here is the explanation :
    1 day low carb,
    - Aka rest day - you should be in deficit during that day, low in carb since the glucose you would eat won't be used at all for an effort you won't have.

1 day medium carb
    - Aka training day- after a glycogen depletion, and in order to avoid catabolism (destruction of lean mass) you would make sure to provide enough glycogen, and putt your body in an anabolic state

1 day high carb (for high intensity training : wrong, since it's not specific).
    - Aka refeed :^)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I do a basic hi/lo cycle. Low carb on rest days, high carb on workout days.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    I do a basic hi/lo cycle. Low carb on rest days, high carb on workout days.

I try to do this too.
  • Eimear78
    Options
    So could I do a reasonably basic form of this without going too mathematical...any good websites or tips for novice carb cycler?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I do low carb during the week and moderate-to-high carb on the weekends. I'm not losing anymore, but just maintaining.

Carb cycling isn't a good approach for someone who cares about the scale, because it will be all over the place.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    The best Carb cycling is 3 days low carb and 1 day high carb. It is the most effective fat burning technique ever. It isn't good to go more than 3 days with low carbs as your body starts to slow down and your energy level drops and your muscles could flatten out and become softer. This makes your metabolic rate slow down.
    So on the 4th day when you have a carb load, your body bypasses all the side effects and your glycogen levels are restored so your energy level stays up and your muscles fill out and tighten and your metabolic rate gets a boost.
    Be aware tho, do not rely on the short term scale numbers. Your scale numbers will fluctuate dramatically.
    This really does work great.
    My body also does well with Carb Tapering. Another great technique to getting lean.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options

You are doing it in IF way mate?
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    The best Carb cycling is 3 days low carb and 1 day high carb. It is the most effective fat burning technique ever. It isn't good to go more than 3 days with low carbs as your body starts to slow down and your energy level drops and your muscles could flatten out and become softer. This makes your metabolic rate slow down.
    So on the 4th day when you have a carb load, your body bypasses all the side effects and your glycogen levels are restored so your energy level stays up and your muscles fill out and tighten and your metabolic rate gets a boost.
    Be aware tho, do not rely on the short term scale numbers. Your scale numbers will fluctuate dramatically.
    This really does work great.
    My body also does well with Carb Tapering. Another great technique to getting lean.

Is it necessary to have 3 days of low carbs? I get very down with even one day of carb!
  • Eimear78
    Options
    Princess Chic - girl question...how do low carb days effect your hormones?
  • welloiledmachine
    Options
    [/quote]

Is it necessary to have 3 days of low carbs? I get very down with even one day of carb!

[/quote]

What do you mean you get very down?

It's just the way your body works. Carbs play a huge role in weight loss. You get better results, but everybody is different and not all techniques work for everybody. I prefer the 40-30-30 with carb tapering, but when I'm going to the beach/vacation, I like to do the 3:1 carb cycle technique. But you can also do 3 days low carb and 2-3 days high carbs, this is more so if you are losing weight too fast and your body is really taking advantage of this technique.
  • welloiledmachine
    Options
    Princess Chic - girl question...how do low carb days effect your hormones?
    I really don't see any change in my hormones, but no quite sure what in particular you are concerned about. My carbs are usually between 85-110.
    But here's the macros for the 3:1 ratio.

For average women/ 1400 calories/ 3 days low carb, (these numbers will need to be adjusted according to your calorie needs)

Protein 45% = 630 calories = 157 g
    Carbs 30% = 420 calories = 105 g
    Fats 25% = 350 calories = 39 g

1 day high carbs 1800 calories

Protein 30% = 810 calories = 135 g
    Carbs 50% = 900 calories = 225 g
    Fats 20% = 360 calories = 40g

You'll just have to experiment.
  • JordanFerg
    Options
    if your doing a 4 day training split so one nigh day three low, what would you recommend on the rest days ?