Wow! Just realized I still need to research

Options
Lately I have just been going off the calorie information I have found on MFP. Well today I ate a medium sized banana and logged it. I started looking back over my calories for the day and noticed that banana (medium) said 220 calories. Wow I think not. So I checked a few more on here and then googled it. 105 I believe. Apparently I will have to double check things occasionally until I have a better idea.

Anyone else find this problem and is there a way to take the wrong information off of the site? I looked more and found another log for the right amount.

Replies

• ShawtyLatina
    ShawtyLatina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I find the member submitter stuff (the one's with the asterisks) have the most potential for inaccuracies. If you look for the entries that do not have the asterisks, they're entries logged by the site itself. I've discovered that if you the item with either 'raw' or 'fresh,' you'll find the original data. For example, banana raw or basil fresh. The items I used so far, I've checked against the ADA database and all seems pretty consistent. Hope this helps.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Wow.. your right. I just checked the 2 separate entries. The one with the asterick is the one thats double the calories, it also has 3 confirmations. The one with no asterick is the correct amount and has 90 something confirmations. Do the confirmations mean someone has double checked the amount and agrees? I'm thinking that is the case.

There has to have something so wrong removed. I will try to find out. I love this site and dont want to have to always double check.
  • ShawtyLatina
    ShawtyLatina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The asterisks just means that another member (who must have looked it up for logging purposes at some point) used the same entry and agrees. That goes to show you... Not everyone is reading what they 'sign.' lol. I know I read somewhere that there is a way to report or correct and incorrect entry. If I run across the info again, I'll be sure to share.

Glad the info was helpful.
  • melbellkid
    Options
    I just stumbled on that this morning too and wondered the same thing-I had checked my Subway Flatbread on their site for nutrition info first-when I entered it on here using one that was already entered with the same exact thing I had gotten the MFP info was more than 100 calories less than Subways info...while I would like to believe that my meal had that many calories I know that isn't going to accurately help me lose weight either!
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    You can also verify the calorie info (plus more) on www.nutritionfacts.com which is what I have started using. Rarely do I have exactly something listed to eat other then fruit or nuts. Good luck! :happy:
  • marcenepea
    Options
    I went under Technical support and found a post were someone mentioned how to change this. So I went to do it and when I brought it up it had the correct amount... Weird. I did leave both bananas on my diary for proof. Is there something I'm missing or did someone go in and change it?
  • marcenepea
    Options
    Or.... (more likely) have I lost my mind? LOL
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I roll my bananas around in sugar first, could that affect the calories?
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have entered lots of food into the data base and corrected as well. Astericks? when I enter food an asterick doesn't appear, I think the food on the data base that has an asterick has been entered by the individual person.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Feel free to correct stuff. There was a little movement a few months ago to have people identify and correct errors.
    There were over 50 banana entries with "Banana" misspelled, not to mention whatever other errors might have been present within them. As long as members can submit info, there will be problems. It's our job to also fix the problems.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's one of the downfalls of crowd sourcing, sometimes the information just is wonky.

I wonder if they could set up a system like recaptcha, where enough people agree on, then it's likely true.
  • marcenepea
    Options
    I roll my bananas around in sugar first, could that affect the calories?

I pretty sure this is the problem. LOL
  • marcenepea
    Options
    I can't believe I didn't realize this before. Shows how well I pay attention. I've been logging my food on here for over 2 months. Learn something new everyday. I will be sure to double check things that are new and change them If I'm sure they are wrong.

Thanks for all your input.