If you are a 5'9 woman or taller....

Options

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I may be risking some hate posting here. But just to show that all body types are different, even at the same height. I', 5'9", When I've gone soft I'm perfect at 130, when muscular 135 will be just right. I think it has more to do with muscle tone, frame, and how your clothes feel than a number on a scale.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    "need a sandwich" :laugh: There is a big range of healthy weights and everyone carries their weight very differently. When you throw in muscle mass things get even more confusing. There are a couple of measurements that you can take to tell if you are on the right track.

Supposedly your wrist size can give you a clue to your frame size. Anyone else heard this? You wrap your thumb and your middle finger around your wrist. If the tips meet, you have a medium sized frame and should aim for the middle of the weight range. Middle finger falls below thumb tip for small frame sizes, etc. Not sure about that but I do know another very important measurement is your waist size. Supposedly this number can predict your heart health.

I am 5'10" and I have weighed everything from 145 (wedding day 18 years ago) to 190 (pregnant 11 years ago). I am very active so even when the scale has a high number I always feel like I look good.:laugh: I think this is where being taller is awesome. It feels like we can get away with weighing more somehow...

Even with using wrist size, it still is a very poor gauge of frame size. Based on my wrist size I have a small frame. But based on my actaul hips, because I am 5'6 and even when i was an athlete and under or around 100 lbs with under 10% body fat my hips were STILL 36 inches. So not remotely a small body frame. Better to just look at fat mass vs. fat free mass.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11 and I look great at 200lbs! I have big bones so I look thin at 200 so that is what I am shooting for! :bigsmile:
  • jmp1031
    jmp1031 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9.5" and liked being 160-165
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm just a smidge under 5'9" and I am 185 with a wide build. Wide hips, small waist, big feet and wide shoulders. My goal for now is 170 but I have in the past been down as low as 167 and that was low enough.
  • EloiseCanRun
    Options
    I'm just around 5'9" and around last Halloween I was 168 and starting to slip into a size 8.
    I think, for me, I wouldn't want to be under 155.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I'm going to aim to get my BMI into the healthy range first which means approx 168lbs (I'm 5' 9")

Once I've got there and have hopefully built of lots of lean muscle mass and have burrnt off lots of fat, I'll re-evaluate. I think though I'll base it more on how my clothes fit and how I look rather than a definitive number on the scales.
  • Janet55555555555
    Options
    I am 5'10 and I hope to be 161 to 151. It just all depends.
  • trishobr
    trishobr Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I just joined
  • meusey
    meusey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey, Im 5'9" and loved being 165 back when I was rowing. Much smaller than that would have been weird and I would have looked creepily skinny. Goal right now is a good 160-165 ish. Basically adjusting my lifestyle and seeing where it takes me :D
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and currently 148. Since i'm a cyclist that is preparing for a upcoming race, I would love to get down to 135 pounds.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 183 right now. My ideal is 150 just because that's the weight that I always was since being 5'9" until after having my last 2 children. I'm actually pretty comfortable anywhere between 150 and 175. Once I get down to 175, I'll see how I feel then about trying to get back down 150.
  • Alicia7896
    Options
    5'10, currently at 240lbs and would LOVE to be back down to 190 with an ultimate goal of 170. If I stayed at 190 though, I'd have absolutely no problem with that; it still has me in the "overweight" category with my BMI but my doc says I have a lot of muscle (under the fat, lol) and, as we know, that is more dense than fat.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and recently hit 162lbs. That's inside a healthy BMI, but I'm still very podgy. I have a lot of belly, and flabby thighs, so I could definitely get away with losing another 10lbs.

But I've never had muscle before, and my goal now is to tone up. So maybe I'll lose those extra 10lbs, or maybe I'll change them from fat to muscle.
  • candiceanderson84
    candiceanderson84 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"10" and I'm 158 now but my goal is to 150.
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and think that I liked me best at 145 then... you can gain maybe five pounds and still fit in clothes
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Oh god I feel like I'm completely underachieving right now! I'm 5'9" right now and my goal is 180 and then reassess. I can't imagine myself ever getting lower than 170 without looking like a skeleton. I'm very big-boned (seriously, I am! My skeleton is huge! LOL) and I think I'd look skeletal if I went lower than 170. So I'm going to play it by ear. I'll truly be thrilled if I get into a size 10 or 12 - I think that would look very healthy on my build. But I'll play it by ear. :-)

This is me exactly. I'd be thrilled to be 180!! I'd probably be a size 10.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
  • lorim77
    lorim77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and 143 lbs. While I'm thrilled.. I mean THRILLED!!!.. to be able to finally weigh less than 150, my goal is around 135. I've started strength training though, and since then the scale refuses to bugde... but in the end if I can say 145 and NOT have a handfull worth of belly fat then I'll be the happiest woman alive.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" with an athletic build and weigh 152 and I'm planning on staying here. I wear a 4 or a 6 - mostly a 6.

It's info like this that is so fascinating to me! Years ago, when I was doing triathlons, I weighed 150 or so, and am 5'11". Never, ever got below a size 12, though! Occasionally squeezed into a size 10. It's a real head scratcher... but is good info for the OP to have.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I'm 5'11" and have felt/ looked comfortable at 150-165. I'm hoping to end up in that range again.