Beaten down

Options
This is a fitness and food type question, but i didnt know where to post so im posting here. Ive been working out since Sep of 2011. roughly cardio 3x wk and strength training 2x week, ive had times where i dont make it to the gym or bad eating days, or whatever. ive been watching what i eat, or at least trying to. ive lost 12 pounds and according to measurements at the gym some inches too. this is the thing. im am tired. im just so tired, there have been days where i just dont think i can make it thru my cardio, i want to cry, i end up making it thru but it is a battle. what am i doing wrong? i know i could better fine tune my food choices. like i keep telling my friend, im just beat. how do i get out of this?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to the DR. There may be another reason for the fatigue.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    If you'd like to open your diary, people can try and help that way. It might be your diet.
  • bkwrmz7
    bkwrmz7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    how do i open the diary? is that when you close it out? and i have talked with my dr, i have alot of stress which the excercise helps with but no ailments that would cause the fatigue
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well, first thing take a rest day and REST. If you are going to workout intensely your body needs fuel. It needs protein and carbs and fat and vitamins and minerals and all that good stuff. I don't know what you've been eating but you'll probably feel a lot better if you get a good variety of nutrient rich foods.

If not, see a doctor.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Go to settings, then diary settings.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same way
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    how do i open the diary?

At the top of the page choose Settings > Diary Settings (Or go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings )

Choose "Public" under Diary Sharing.
  • TriTigress
    Options
    I would definitely go have your thyroid levels checked.
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to the DR. There may be another reason for the fatigue.

^^^This...you could be anemic....
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Chronic fatigue? Sounds like a medical problem.
  • TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Go to settings to open your diary. Try logging how you are feeling along with your food diary. Maybe you will notice a pattern of what is causing you to be so tired. I noticed that if I eat junk calories, even if I am within my calorie limit, I am so much more tired then if I eat healthy foods. Maybe you just need more veggies!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You might be overtraining, under eating or both. I had that happen to me, and was feeling weeny, losing strength, etc. I backed off on some of the intensity and upped my calories and it really helped. Good luck - Hope you feel better!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling! You're doing too much with too little fuel! More high quality protein has been my solution. My doctor really wants me eating ~700-800 calories a day. With my workout schedule I was so incredibly tired all the time. I increase my food intake considerably, and now I feel better and I'm losing weight again! Don't need to let the doctor know I nearly doubled my calories (to 1300-1500). LOL! As long as I'm losing, she's not going to look too closely at my diary.

Edit - Oh, and I have hypothyroidism, depression and chronic fatigue, so the fact I'm feeling great now is a combination of medications, diet and exercise!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    How's your iron intake? How about B-vitamins? Vitamin D? All of these can cause fatigue. (And also be a symptom of thyroid issues)

You could also just use a break to recharge. Take a week off from exercising and logging and come back refreshed.
  • bkwrmz7
    Options
    Ok much to my discomfort i opened my diary, im going to be embarrased. but there it is. my blood work is normal. to be honest, other than depression, anxiety and chronic headaches, which i take medicine for, i am healthy. how do people stay motivated? i feel like the weight is not going to come off and im just tired. i have taken time off from the gym before, but the trainer i see once a month at the gym says when you do that it sets you back like 2-3 weeks, i definately dont want to do that! so...
  • TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don;t see any vegitables in your diary. Everything else looks ok! Just nothing green... which is very important! Do you take a one a day vitamin?
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree, looks like you need some complex carbohydrates, not just the "bread" type. More grains, beans, less processed stuff. Fruit possibly? Fresh fruit and veg and some nuts/seeds for protein and energy. Try less poweraide and go for something else sweet to drink or replace your electrolytes. You also might have an allergy to something you're eating. Personally I find aspartame draining.
  • KimVanHorn
    Options
    I had the same problem. Doc said my iron was low. I started taking Iron and lots of B vitamins. I felt like a new woman!
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options
    My doctor really wants me eating ~700-800 calories a day. With my workout schedule I was so incredibly tired all the time. I increase my food intake considerably, and now I feel better and I'm losing weight again! Don't need to let the doctor know I nearly doubled my calories (to 1300-1500).

What?? Your doctor is a quack if she really wants you on a starvation diet of 700 - 800 calories per day. NO ONE in the medical field condones less than 1200 calories per day; this puts your body into starvation mode, stalls your metabolism, and forces your body to quickly store any and all fat that you offer it out of survival. You DO need to let the doctor know that you are losing weight eating 1300 - 1500 calories, and then you need to let her know that you will be finding a doctor with actual medical knowledge. YIKES. I'm glad that you found a healthy solution in spite of your doctor's instructions!
  • bkwrmz7
    Options
    I last had labs done in Jan of 2012, everything was pretty normal, a little low in the iron, but nothing that the dr thought i needed to be on a supplement, or so he mentioned. I dont take a multi-vitamin, i havent been able to find one thats easy to swallow, most are like horse pills. are veggies still good if they are like those steam fresh veggies? I can pop those in the microwave at work. complex carbs? do you have more examples? do you think having a sandwhich most everyday is a bad thing? i only drink the powerade on my cardio days, and i dont feel i drink alot of the artificial sweetners, ive already cut alot of that stuff out.