I'm constantly going over my sugar, how bad is this?

Options
I go over my suagr every single day. I don't often eat sweets unless it's a special occasion, it's more from fruits, greek yogurt, and juices I put in breakfast smoothies. Will this really have a huge affect on my weight loss even if I stick to my calories and allowed fat every day?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I go over my suagr every single day. I don't often eat sweets unless it's a special occasion, it's more from fruits, greek yogurt, and juices I put in breakfast smoothies. Will this really have a huge affect on my weight loss even if I stick to my calories and allowed fat every day?

Nope
  • danielleneumann
    danielleneumann Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me too! I am interested to hear more about this. I recently switched yogurts because I noticed the plain organic yogurt I was buying had 10 grams of sugar per serving. So I switched to one that's 4 grams. Other than that though I don't have any suggestions because I eat the exact same way as you.

My personal philosophy is that if you are eating unprocessed real foods that are good for you -who cares about the sugar. Carrots are not bad for you because they are high in sugar and they certainly won't make you gain weight. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

A good compromise might be to eat some veggies replacing SOME of the fruit? Although fruit just tasts soo much better.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    I have this same issue - after breakfast with plain Chobani, a dash of honey and .5 cup of blueberries - I am already almost at my sugar limit... I do not eat candy/sweets and find that most of my sugars come from fruits but I am way over on a daily basis.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I go over sugar almost everyday (usually around 60-70g, sometimes less sometimes more) and it hasn't effected me in any way. It's usually from fruit, muesli etc, but I do have "sugary" food on occasion too.

In the end if you're under calories you will lose weight.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine that in 50 days of logging and although I've mostly been under my calorie goal, there's only been a couple of days where my sugar intake isn't in the red!

I don't really pay it much attention.
  • joyce1129
    joyce1129 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sugar has 4 calories per gram. Cut out 10 grams a day and you've cut out 40 calories per day, or the equivalent of slightly over 4 pounds per year by doing nothing more than reducing your sugar.
  • sullymanjohn
    Options
    Well if most of your sugars are coming from fruits and you go over, in my eyes then you're doing something right! Healthy food that covers your urge for sweets!
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    be more concerned about your macros.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    No worries. I'm always over as well and it never affected my weight loss.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great responses! I'm new at this diet and fitness thing, so I'm still learning about what's good and what's bad.
  • amurret
    amurret Posts: 3
    Options
    Glad you asked this, and good to read everyone's responses... sugar and sodium are things that are so hard to stay reasonable with, unless you've got access to healthy whole foods at all times of the day. For most people that's impossible, and I'm most people, so I always wonder how much it really effects my body. Not weight loss per say because I'm trying to gain, not lose, but just general health.
    On the one hand, if you're going by the "Recommended Daily Intake", from what I understand, it is the amount of a nutrient that is needed to by 97-98 percent of the population to keep them in good health. So another words, it's a cap on the low end of intake, not necessarily high... but on the other hand, from what I've read on Wikipedia, which, isn't too surprising:

"The daily maximum for some nutrients, like sodium are higher in the U.S. than in other parts of the developed world, and are far above established safe minimums.[5][6] For instance, the National Research Council has found that 500 mg of sodium per day (approximately the amount in a quarter-teaspoon of table salt) is a safe level.[7] In Great Britain, the daily allowance for salt is 6g (approximately 1 tsp, about the upper limit in the U.S.), but are still considered "too high".[8][9]"

But the fact is, if you're exercising regularly and staying a "conscious eater", I think your body will work everything else out
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I ignore the sugar limit. I'm over every day, just from the lactose in milk. It's not hurting me any.
  • MrsHumphrey2010
    Options
    I'm glad i found this..i'm constantly going over on sugar too..it never affects my weight loss and it is usually from fruit/yogurt or my granola bars stuff like that. i do buy the 100 cal pack stuff for snacks that are cookie/popcorn with fudge drizzle there so yummy but i stay under calorie always
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    One question. Are you diabetic? Then it can be very bad. If you aren't, then it's irrelevant.
  • sallyjbeggs
    Options
    I, too, had this question and I'm glad to read the other responses. I usually go over but not by a lot until today when I drank a 12oz mountain dew. (The caffeine helps headaches for me). I rarely drink soda anymore.
  • Ltmsenergy
    Options
    I'm usually 50 to 75 grams below my sugar level but always eat close to twice as much protein and fats as my diet calls for. I find that when I eat high fatty proteins and 1/2 of a normal serving of carbs (for example 1/4 cup of oats with butter instead of 1/2 cup oats with sweetner and berries), I do not crave sweets and am not often hungry. Fats seem to help me to maintain my weight better.
  • Ltmsenergy
    Options
    Forgot to add that I do cardio and lift weights for an hour a day. My weight is 132. My caloric intake is ranges from 1,700 to 1,900 per day.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, unless you have been advised to watch your intake by your doctor.
  • Nicoodlenoodle
    Nicoodlenoodle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of fruit smoothies and veggies.. My sugar limit is 24 I reach at least 50 over almost everyday .. I am still loosing weight.. In theory I believe you could eat anything really and you will still loose weight if you are under calories, but you may not necessarily be healthy with clogged arteries and such
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options

Nope

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, aren't your sugars already calculated under carbs? Or, included with carbs I guess?