for those that LIKE miracle noodles.

Options
For those of you that LIKE miracle noodles (shirataki noodles) What brand do you prefer and what tips or advice can you offer? I have heard a lot about them both good and bad and I would like to try them myself. Thanks!

Replies

• tiffylc37
    tiffylc37 Posts: 29
    Options
    Shirataki is whgat I use. Make sure you do rince them off well, they smell a little differnt when you first open then up for sure. The texture also is not exactly a noodle like pasta. As they cooled it seems to have less bite to them. They were yummy I made lo mein noodles with them.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    also where is the best place online to order them from?
  • kasarin
    kasarin Posts: 82
    Options
    I like them. Biggest advice is wash the, repeatedly in hot water before cooking them. Also do not smell it till it is cooked.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    - Rinse well.
    - Dry-fry in a pan to remove excess water then add to your dish.

I have no particular brand loyalty as I usually buy what's available. They really do take on whatever flavour is in the dish. I've only ever used them in stir-fries and I quite enjoy them.
  • misscaligreen
    Options
    Has anyone tried the "rice sized" miracle noodles?
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    put them in a strainer and wash wash wash. They have no natural flavor so I usually boil them in a sauce for a couple minutes so they actuall TASTE like something :) I like them as replacements for noodles in soups and sphagetti.
  • misscaligreen
    Options
    I like them. Biggest advice is wash the, repeatedly in hot water before cooking them. Also do not smell it till it is cooked.

Hahahah thanks... I have heard that they are kinda smelly lol
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I buy them on amazon, they have great prices on the miracle noodles, my favorite is the fettuccine (I make Lo mein all the time and its delish!!)
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Japan House is the brand i use. it's tofu based. my favorite thing to do with shiritaki noodles:
    1 bag shiritaki noodles
    1 bag Leasa bean sprouts (approx 3 cups)
    3-6 servings of the Biggest Loser Ginger-Peanut dressing (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/4646470) This takes literally five minutes to make in a blender or food processor.

Rinse noodles with hot water for about a minute. Pour these into a preheated pan (should be at medium heat). spread them out the best you can and let them sit for a few minutes.
    Rinse bean sprouts with COLD water and add those to the frying pans with the noodles.
    Stir and let them cook on medium or high heat. I like mine a little crispy so i use higher heat.
    About 1/2- 3/4 way through cooking, add approx 3 tablespoons of the dressing and finish the cooking/browning process.
    Add 1-3 more tablespoons of the dressing after you take them out of the pan, stir it all up very well and ENOY!
    SOOOOOO GOOD! :drinker:

Also, I have been able to find them in several grocery stores. they're about $1.50- $1.99 per bag.
  • ssieben
    ssieben Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love Shirataki Noodles! Rinse Rinse Rinse them well! They are very versatile and can be put in stir frys. If you go on Hungrygirl.com she has tons of recipes. I live in Canada and I can buy them at Sobeys and Safeway. I made "Spaghetti Pie" last night with them. It was filling andddd delicious!

1 pkg spaghetti house of foods shirataki noodles
    1/4 cup egg white
    1/2 cup extra lean ground beef
    1/2 Prego Pasta Sauce
    1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    Chopped Fresh Mushroom
    Chopped up assorted peppers
    1/3 cup low fat mozzarella

So you basically take a pie dish, throw the whole package of noodles in (after extremely well rinsed and patted dry with paper towels) and mix the egg white in it. Throw in some pepper, garlic.... whatever spices you like. Bake at 350 for about 15 mins til you have a "crust". Then top with beef, sauce, veggies, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese and put back in the oven til its all bubbley and glorious. The whole Spaghetti Pie was only 440 cals :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I use the Miracle Noodle brand and I buy them on Amazon. I haven't noticed that they smell bad but I don't exactly take a deep breath when opening the bag, either. Rinsing for about 60 seconds in warm water does the trick. I've only ever used them in stir fry. I've tried the "dry frying" method before adding them to the meat and veggies and didn't really notice that much of a texture difference than when I haven't.

I should state that my husband normally freaks out about "weird" food and hasn't even questioned when I've used them. I haven't told them what they are, though, either. :laugh:
  • misscaligreen
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I appreciate it! :flowerforyou:
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    I have bought Miracle rice to make fried rice using liquid aminos as soy sauce and it was delish.

I usually by Shiritaki noodles at the asian market as they are half the price of how you'd pay for the Miracle brand.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I use House Foods Shirataki Noodles. I try to not buy 'em unless they're priced at $1.50 a package or below. (fairly standard sale pricing around here).

For prep, I dump them in a strainer, rinse them a bit, dump them in the container I plan to use for my meal and microwave them for one minute. Then I dump 'em back the strainer, shake a bit, then pick up the whole thing of noodles in a double layer of paper towels. I squeeze as hard as I can to soak up and squeeze out as much excess moisture as possible. Then I put 'em back in the container and cut into smaller pieces.

For usage, I just start cooking onions, carrots, mushrooms, eggplant, whatever, in the pan. Once the onions start to get translucent or even to browning a bit, I dump in the noodles. That's when I add all of my seasonings and spices too. Let those cook until everything is pretty much cooked through and the noodles look nice and dry. Then I add my protein (chicken, pork, shrimp, whatever) and chopped bell pepper. (I prefer my bell pepper to still be a bit crunchy) and cook until the meat is cooked through.

Sometimes I add an egg or maybe some other sauce as a finisher. What goes in the noodles basically depends on two factors 1. what I have in the house at that time and 2. How many calories I have for the meal. But it's always some mix of veggies and then some sort of lean protein.

I've done creamy sauces with them before and they just don't seem to work as well. The noodles have an odd bite to them that really only goes away with the extended pan cooking. And tossing heated noodles with a creamy sauce is fine for the flavor, but the texture is always a bit off.
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi, good news. Miracle Noodle is having a 15% sale on their website until Saturday night.
  • sheilsun
    Options
    Hi, I have tried the rice..absolutely delicious. Made stuffed peppers, an asparagus risotto (sp?) and also added the rice to chicken soup. My family loves the rice dishes..without the calories!!
  • sheilsun
    Options
    Here is how I made the asparagus risotta dish. Very simple and fast. Hope you like it.

. Asparagus (about 1 lb.cooked,cut in bitesized pieces), green onions, red peppers,favorite seasonings, one pkg miracle rice,low-sodium chicken broth and grated Parmesan or other favorite low-fat cheese.
  • purplelilac123
    purplelilac123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What section can I find the House Foods Shirataki Noodles in at the grocery store? I never noticed them before but the site says that Shop Rite carries it.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Been researching these and really want to try them but the prices are so high if you want to get them in the Uk, Given I can get a packet of wholegrain pasta or rice for less than £2 that lasts for weeks, I don't fancy paying over £2 just for one serving.
  • LifeLongJourney
    Options
    Did anyone else get a miracle noodle ad at the top of the page when the entered this thread?

I never tried them but I am very interested on getting my hands on some.