Strength Training?!?

Options
Please someone help me understand strength training...I'm not really sure I know what it is. Some info. says use light weights & increased reps, some says heavier weights & less reps, & some says easy things to do at home with no weights??? Can anyone reccommend a good web site or strength training DVD or something?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Depends on your overall goal and where you are now.

If you have access to a gym i'll always suggest starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
    These programs build real world strength in short time.
    Both programs only ask you to be in the gym maybe 3 days at the most so youll have time to spend with your personal life!

Start there.

If you are at home, p90x, Insanity, 30 day shred....
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

If you have access to a gym i'll always suggest starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
    Both programs only ask you to be in the gym maybe 3 days at the most so youll have time to spend with your personal life!

Start there.

Thank you very much!
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options

Start there.

I would basically second your comment. But I would break it out a bit more by goal.

Pure strength then your best bet is to pick up both the "Starting Strength" book and DVD. The book will give you all you need to know to start a program and the DVD is simply the best of demonstration of the five basic lifts. What is so great about the video is Mark breaks everything done and makes it simple and logical. Also they demonstrate all of the movements with multiple people representing different genders, body types and sizes. It will save you a lot of time and pain.

If your goal is mainly endurance strength then I would look at TRX or general strengthen training with body weight movements, kettles and medicine ball type workouts.

If your goal is body building, I would say I have nothing more to say to you. I am sorry just don't respect those goals.

If you goal is more general, "New Rules for Lifting for Women" would be a great alternative program to Starting Strength because Lou covers programs for all types of strength goals.

Whichever you choice, stick to programs that involve large, mufti-joint exercises like the squat, dead-lift, clean and press, etc. If someone advocates machines or isolation exercise, just keeping walking.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    This is a great program for women who are beginner to intermediate in weight training. Cheap, at home, 3 times a week. Worked great for me.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/belly-off-club-workout
  • jirocpa
    jirocpa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you're just getting into strenth training, you'll want to find a dvd that you can follow and relate to, that doesn't leave you dreading the next workout. My wife falls into that category. So she started with a Beach Body DVD by Chalene. My wife found Chalene to be fairly easy to watch, the moves are all compound exercises so you're done in 30-40 minutes, and you only need a small set of handweights. That was two years ago. My wife then wanted a bigger challenge, so she went to P90x, and she is still sticking with it, a couple of times a week, for over a year now. She still doesn't have bulging muscles, and never will, but she works it hard and her arms and torso look fantastic, even after two kids. Now the motivation to work out again is that she likes how she looks and doesn't want to lose it.
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody!!!