Soda addict looking for friends/support

Options
Made it through yesterday's biggest challenge. I had to go to the grocery store with my husband. We always make a list and eat before we go, so that wasn't such a big deal. But I love soda. We got to the check out and my husband (bless his heart) grabs a soda for himself. I spent the next several minutes chanting "I have water in the truck, I have water in the truck" in my head. I managed to leave without a soda. (Yay!)
I could use some more folks in my cheering section, if you're interested. I promise to return the favor.

Replies

• jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    YOU DID IT! I would really encourage your husband to kick the habit as well, but if he doesn't your will power will be that much stronger. You did such a great job! Congrats.
  • leslieleet
    leslieleet Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. i am starting the no soda thing tomorrow for the 100th time.
    i have a friend who gave it up and lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks.
    it is soooo bad for me, and i know it. i have been drinking it for 30 years.
    time to let go of the crutch.
    good luck

Leslie
  • Swissy98
    Swissy98 Posts: 25
    Options
    Wow!! As a Diet Coke addict - I am impressed! I understand how tough quitting is. Good job!
  • downhomechik
    Options
    Great Job! It's a strong pull. I am a former soda addict as well. I set a goal and drank less and less -tapering off gently . Drink a bottle of water first and maybe that will help too.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Great job btw! And I'm in the same boat you are. Trying to cut out pop. I've been addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper as long as I can remember! This is day two for me!!
  • mikey3925
    mikey3925 Posts: 35
    Options
    Bravo, and good job! I'm a big time soda addict, too, so I know just how big of a deal that was.

Even one little victory like that is HUGE in the long run. I hope in the future you will be able to draw on the good feeling you got from that little exercise of will power.

I wish you much continued success!
  • NJHannah
    NJHannah Posts: 21
    Options
    Woot! Woot! I'm three weeks of diet soda, pat yourself on your back for a huge shift in your thinking, which is all you need to change your entire world.
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I gave up soda in June of 2010 and I haven't looked back!! You can do it!!
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The thing that finally enabled me to give up soda -- after many, many false starts -- was getting a seltzer machine. I found that, as long as I could drink water with bubbles in it, I didn't miss the sugar nearly so much. If you have room in your budget/on your countertop, I highly recommend it.
  • chowderkat
    chowderkat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great job! I just recently gave up soda, too! It was so hard to say no in the beginning, but now it's hard to say yes to soda! It will get easier, I promise!
  • mafmba
    mafmba Posts: 1
    Options
    Good job! I know how hard it can be breaking that habit. I was hooked on Pepsi Max. I have now gone 2 and a half months without one. It is possible to break the habit and you are on the right track. Keep it up.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    GO, GIRL!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DID IT!! WOOOOOT WOOOOT!!!

It was so hard for me to give up soda, but it made a HUGE difference in my weight, my energy level, my general wellness (getting sick with colds and flus less often). Giving up soda also was the first step in a long process of slowly letting go of all of the processed crap I had been raised to eat: white bread, fast food, cakes and cookies, chips, you name it!

You have just taken a very very important first step!

And don't worry if you fall off the wagon. I gave up soda for six years, started up again, and then gave it up two years ago. It is a really hard thing to avoid since it is everywhere and it is totally culturally acceptable to drink it (and NOT culturally acceptable to NOT drink it).

YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!!!! KEEP IT UP!!!
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I started back in November trying to kick it for 30 days, I made it about 25 before I caved. Since then, it's been a lot easier to say no and to choose healthier options like juice (which, is still bad for you in most cases) or water. I still drink diet though. I hope to kick it completely one day but it's just really hard quitting one of my favorite foods! (root beer is my vice)

And it wouldn't be so hard if my super skinny bf wasn't constantly downing Mountain Dew in front of me! lol
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making an effort to quit drinking soda! I know how hard it can be. I had a terrible time quitting soda. I think I had a headache for the first week. But then I was fine. It was totally worth it. It's been almost two years!

Good luck!
  • mountaingirl222
    Options
    Im a soda addict too!!!! Feel free to add me, Im on day 2 no soda :noway:
  • secretiive
    secretiive Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard. I used to have soda in the place my meals. But I've come quite a way since then lol. Kicked the habit around mid-January and I MAY have had 5 sodas between now and then. Just hang in there, you won't even miss em!
  • kimlevin
    kimlevin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! It's so hard, but you did it! I also bought a seltzer maker and LOVE it. Right now it's out of CO2, so I've been buying carbonated water in bottles. I realized it wasn't about the sweetness of soda I loved, it was the feeling of the carbonation and how refreshing it was.
  • linnyrhea
    linnyrhea Posts: 105
    Options
    Thats excellent! I have tried to kick the pop habit for ever, I did for about 4 months around the time I got married and I lost 10lb. This time arund im 12 days in without pop and it feels great! Just hope I can stick to it. Feel free to add me! Anyone can :)
  • Want2BSkinny13
    Options
    I'm a big Pepsi Addict, could drink it day and nite...intravenously if possible..so I feel your pain. I think that is what I miss the most the fizzies and caramel sugar mix...its hard somedays I break down and go have a can. But I keep it to one a day once a week. The best remedy for me is.. IF I dont buy I wont drink it...simple huh?
    I know what you went thru at your last market run...trust me I have so been there done that....I like your little song maybe I'll sing it to myself too...lol