intermittent fasting

Options
i just read a little about it and im working on researching it...basically its fasting throughout the week, a cycle of eating and not eating.like i said im in the middle of researching it but i thought id ask if anyone has had any experience with it...good or bad..thanks

i do not want to hear a ton of posts saying "this cannot be healthy"
or "blah blah like anorexia..."
because its childish considering i am doing my own research along with asking about others experiences so please don't do that.

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • ksimms
    ksimms Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's something I do because it works for me. I've lost the last 10lbs using this method.

I still eat between 1400-1800cals a day (depending on what I feel I need) I just choose to do it in two meals.

I use an eating window style of fasting. I eat all my cals for the day between 12 and 9pm.

I tried doing an alternate day fast and it was a good cleanse for the mind and to see how little food you actually need in a day. It helped me become in tune with my body...but I couldn't personally do that kind of fast for very long.
  • itsshadowwithane
    itsshadowwithane Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i keep seeing 16/8. is that 16 hours of fasting and 8 where you consume your food?
  • ksimms
    Options
    Yep, that's the idea.

There's tons of different ratios, I've heard 13/11 and even 20/4. It's whatever works best for you really.
  • ksimms
    Options
    If you want to read some more, try leangains.com and or theiflife.com I really like the IF life, Mike is actually pretty damn funny. They both have lots of info on them if you want to continue reading.
  • itsshadowwithane
    itsshadowwithane Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    could you explain say a weeks worth of eating to me?
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Bonk.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've just started the 8 hour eating window. I need to do some more reading on it, but I like it so far. I haven't been doing the two/three meals, but maybe I'll get more strict.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    www.leangains.com

^ IMO this would be the best place to research it.
  • Amisha136
    Amisha136 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you try it, I'd love to hear how it goes!

I like the idea of occassional water fasts or fruit fasts to enhance the detox effect of my weight loss effort but I've never heard of this style of fasting before.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    could you explain say a weeks worth of eating to me?

You eat what you want. You may do the 16/8 - fast for 16 hrs and then have an eating window of 8 hrs daily.
    Some do 2 x 24 hr fasts in the week.
    Go to theiflife for info.
    http://www.theiflife.com/intermittent-fasting-101-how-to-start-part-i/
    http://www.theiflife.com/the-2-meal-philosophy/
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting with it and I like it so far. I eat all of my calories still, just in a shorter amount of time. It's not a 'magic bullet' where you can eat whatever you want of course, but It makes it a lot easier for me to stay on track because I can eat more in one sitting lol.

Lots of good links here.
  • PrincessNariko
    Options
    I never eat after 21.00. Makes it alot easier not to snack all night.