Ex-Weight Watcher Leader - Fibromyalgia sufferer

Options
Hello all! I always had a little bit of extra weight, like about 15 pounds, but what woman is ever satisfied with her weight ever? Then back in 2005 I joined Weight Watchers - again! This time, I stayed the course, and lost 20 pound to get to 132, which was terrific for me. So in 2006 I became a leader. Started my meetings on October 10, 2006 - was involved in a major car accident on October 29. Didn't mess me up physically too bad, I didn't think, but despite ALL my best efforts, and following the WW plan religiously, I managed to still gain 40 pounds WHILE I was a leader. Very embarassing and I felt like a total fraud. Fast forward thru a lot of health problems and finally got the diagnosis of fibromyalgia. For the last couple of years I have been trying all kinds of things from WW, to alkaline diet, to everything in between, to no avail. I have never actually counted calories, so this is new to me. I do like this app very much, and look forward to tracking with it to see where it can help me with my weight.

If anyone else is out there with FM that can offer words of advice, please, I am open to suggestions..

:smile:

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Fibromyalgia groups you may be interested in:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?phrase=fibromyalgia&order=0
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi there.....

I was diagnosed with Lupus in 1982; osteo arthritis in 1994 and Fibromyalgia in 2005. After being diagnosed with FM, i was unable to exercise at all and i gained 100 pounds.

I cannot live at that weight. I had to make serious lifestyle changes. I found MFP and yet it took me another 2 years to get serious about it.

Now, I log everything I eat. I have access to a pool and I swim every day that I can. I try not to take more than 2 days off in a row. I FORCE myself to get going. I have to. I cannot give in anymore. So far, I am down 43 pounds. Yes, I'm in a lot of physical pain, but I don't care anymore. I'm not going to let that keep me from living.

Please add me, if you'd like.
    Mare :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Hi there.....

I was diagnosed with Lupus in 1982; osteo arthritis in 1994 and Fibromyalgia in 2005. After being diagnosed with FM, i was unable to exercise at all and i gained 100 pounds.

I cannot live at that weight. I had to make serious lifestyle changes. I found MFP and yet it took me another 2 years to get serious about it.

Now, I log everything I eat. I have access to a pool and I swim every day that I can. I try not to take more than 2 days off in a row. I FORCE myself to get going. I have to. I cannot give in anymore. So far, I am down 43 pounds. Yes, I'm in a lot of physical pain, but I don't care anymore. I'm not going to let that keep me from living.

Please add me, if you'd like.
    Mare :)

Let me just say that YOU ma'am are a superhero. :heart:

NO excuses!!!
  • rookmb
    Options
    Thank you so much, auroranflash!!!!
    It's people like YOU who keep me going every day!!!!:heart::heart:
  • bbbeauty
    bbbeauty Posts: 3
    Options
    You make me feel like a wimp! Yes, the pain, nausea, and mind numbing fatigue makes it very difficult to move more (and working full time and being a makeup artist on the weekends doesn't help. Just getting one day off a week seriously is draining), and then I feel sorry for myself and want to lay around even more. I haven't been eating all that badly, but the inactivity and the hormonal imbalances have wreaked havoc. But, there are only 3 options: 1, move through the pain, 2, stay the same, or 3, get fatter and worse off. Option 2 and 3 are not acceptable.

Even though at times I cannot imagine feeling worse, I know that folks like you somehow, do feel worse. I don't know how you do it. I feel like I am barely surviving myself, just dragging myself through the day. Hopefully, getting this extra 50 pound "sack of feed" off will help some with that - but I cannot imagine having other conditions, as well.

I pray for good health for you, and good spirits as well, as I know that sometimes holding on to the good spirits can be tough!

Take care, be well!
  • rookmb
    Options
    You make me feel like a wimp! Yes, the pain, nausea, and mind numbing fatigue makes it very difficult to move more (and working full time and being a makeup artist on the weekends doesn't help. Just getting one day off a week seriously is draining), and then I feel sorry for myself and want to lay around even more. I haven't been eating all that badly, but the inactivity and the hormonal imbalances have wreaked havoc. But, there are only 3 options: 1, move through the pain, 2, stay the same, or 3, get fatter and worse off. Option 2 and 3 are not acceptable.

Even though at times I cannot imagine feeling worse, I know that folks like you somehow, do feel worse. I don't know how you do it. I feel like I am barely surviving myself, just dragging myself through the day. Hopefully, getting this extra 50 pound "sack of feed" off will help some with that - but I cannot imagine having other conditions, as well.

I pray for good health for you, and good spirits as well, as I know that sometimes holding on to the good spirits can be tough!

Take care, be well!

First of all, the fact that you're working full time, PLUS weekends, is amazing to me. Don't sell yourself short. I know that when I was working I could barely manage to get through the front door before collapsing. I had to end my career 8 years ago and it's taken me that long to adjust to the pain; the exhaustion; the hormonal changes, etc. I just didn't like the reflection I saw in the mirror every day. Enough was enough.

Thank you for your kind words and support !!! :heart:
    Mare
  • MariaM7786
    Options
    Hi!

Congrats on your weight loss, that is amazing!! I don't have any friends yet, so I would love if you added me =)

I just wanted to say that I was finally diagnosed in January with Fibromyalgia after almost three years of my symptoms progressing. I am also the mother to two special needs children, so between the stress of raising them and being in chronic pain and dizziness, I was packing on the pounds. Nothing I did was helping taking the weight off. When I tried the medication and it made me swell up, I wanted to give up. I thought for sure I wouldn't live out the year, feeling the way I did.

Then I found MFP and the courage to get my life in order. It really hit me that if I didn't get healthy who would raise my children if something happened to me? So my husband got me a treadmill and I started off slowly. I logged everything and did cardio 30 mins a day. I am proud to say that in 2 months, I am down 20 pounds and 2 pant sizes. My symptoms are not gone but they are less severe and I sleep so much better. I have not taken any medication these past 2 months either. I still have a ways to go to get fit, but I am so much happier =) On my bad days I still do my cardio or 30 day shred, I just don't push as hard, then I go take a nap. =)
  • cheria55
    cheria55 Posts: 26
    Options
    I also was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 6 years ago and cannot take any medications for it due to allergic reactions. I felt so tired and in pain all the time that I totally let my health go. I slept a few years of my life away I think. The daily exercise helps me feel better but it also tires me to the point I have to sometimes nap right after. My husband is not very supportive, he gets sick of my aches and pains, sleeping to much or insomnia due to not being able to get comfortable at night. Oh ya and I almost forgot to mention my fibro fog lol. I can't tell you how nice it is to hear others talk about these problems. I am feeling much better now that I am eating better and exercising and would love to continue to hear how others deal with this so please add me I would love to have some friends here.