Brown Rice

Options
Honey623
Honey623 Posts: 37
Hi :smile: Quick question, I know lots of you eat brown rice...do you add different ingredients to switch it up a bit? Instead of plain old brown rice...:grumble:

Replies

• PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one TRYING to like brown rice. My problem is that I can't add butter or gravy and I just have to have one or the other so I usually don't eat brown rice or rice at all. If anyone can tell us a better way than just cooking and eating it plain, I'd love to hear it.
  • renee_sutter
    Options
    We put slices of teriyaki pork loin on it, and a scoop of the Sacrad Heart Medical Veggie Soup. Very tasty and not dry
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I made curry chicken with brown rice it was delicious
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Where do you get the terriaki pork loin?
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I cook it with low sodium Cream of Mushroom soup instead of water. Yum yum good!
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    I usually have it with black beans and top it with some sauteed onions.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The only things I usually eat rice with are Cilantro Lime Rice as a side dish, Gumbo over rice, Chicken Stir-Fry over rice, or Korean Beef over rice. I can't think of anything else I eat rice with at the moment.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just like white rice, it goes with everything haha.
    I'm vegetarian so I put beans and veggies and stir fry it up! But only after a workout, because it's high carbs
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found a good way to cook brown rice? I tried it in my rice cooker, and I guess the water/rice ratio is not the same as that of Jasmine, Rose, or any other white rice.
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I make this homemade hoisin sauce on it and mix it with broccoli and sometime beans or chicken or fish.
    5 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 table spoons of peanut butter
    1 1/2 teaspoon of honey
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    2 tsp. hot sauce
    1/4 garlic powder
    a dash of white pepper
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I just make some white rice and some brown rice and mix the two.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    II add a bit of shredded cheese or a knorrs stock thingy
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found a good way to cook brown rice? I tried it in my rice cooker, and I guess the water/rice ratio is not the same as that of Jasmine, Rose, or any other white rice.
    I cook mine in the rice cooker too. It takes about 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. It does take longer. My rice cooker has the option for white or brown rice. It usually takes about 90 minutes to cook. You can try it on the stove that way.
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is really good with salsa mixed in with it. I also mix it with petite diced tomatoes. It is really good! It is the only way I can eat it.
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I add Mrs. Dash garlic and herb and a little green onion to mine (while its cooking) when I eat it with fish and veggies. Gives it good flavor!
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I make this homemade hoisin sauce on it and mix it with broccoli and sometime beans or chicken or fish.
    5 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 table spoons of peanut butter
    1 1/2 teaspoon of honey
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    2 tsp. hot sauce
    1/4 garlic powder
    a dash of white pepper

This sounds amazing. I need to remember to try this very soon.
  • MerriAlbert
    Options
    Hi! Either stirfry it with an egg and veggies, some chili oil and veggies, make cabbage rolls with it.
    I eat it with chili as I'm sensitive to wheat and corn. The ratio to cook it is double water than rice with a bit of butter. Cook on high until boiling, then let simmer at low heat about 40 mins or until still slightly moist.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I use 1.5x the water I'd use for white rice:

1cup of rice + 1.5cups of water
    2 cups of rice + 3cups of water
    3 cups of rice + 4.5cups of water
    etc...

I have 2 rice makers, actually, and one actually has a "brown rice" button. It's giant, though, so I usually just use the small one and up the water.

I also use Uncle Ben's "Minute Rice" version quite a bit... not quite as good for you I don't think, but still better than white and still good for a "carb fix". And, I'm better at portion control that way b/c I only make what I'm budgeting for in terms of calories. Otherwise, I could eat it all in one sitting!
  • hotmama1174
    hotmama1174 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing (in the rice cooker) it was hard and crunchy. I am use to jasmine rice-I was trying to take it slowly and do half jasmine /half brown to ease into it but the water/rice ratio is obviously different!