Do anti depressants slow down your metabolism?

Options
I have been put on Effexor and am paranoid that it is making me gain weight. Recently I have seen a 2 kilogram gain over a course of a month. It scares me. I hear mixed reviews from people that Effexor makes you put on weight but others say they lost weight, decreased appetite, increased appetite!

Arghhh!!

I just want to know if anyone can tell me if anti depressants slow down your metabolism? I'd imagine that because it has sort of 'chilled' me a bit and not made me so edgy, that my heartrate has maybe slowed down a little!? and maybe it's relaxing my metabolism or something?

I don't know! I'm just confused :(

Replies

• bottenana
    bottenana Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The problem with Anti-dpressants and AAP is that they affect your body chemistry and because everyone has a different chemistry, there's a wide range of them. I would talk to your doctor about your concerns of weight gain with them. Zoloft is a weight neutral AD and there are a few others out there. When you bring it up with your doctor, stress you want weight neutral AD's and weight gain is a concern. There's a slight slowing of the metabolism but not enough to negate a daily diet/excercise program. Good luck!