Gone to far? Cleaning?

Options
FitRodr
FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
Ok, I do have OCD (really). I know it, I work on it and am getting better. Most of the time it's with things being straight or "feeling right". I don't know how to explain that part. Somedays I tie my shoes 20 times because they just don't feel right. It's sad & a little overwhelming. I clean alot, not because of germs so much as that I like things clean & tidy.

Here's where I want your honest opinion. Does anyone ever wipe down the doors on the inside of the house? Once a year or so? Serious? I have a 16 year old step-daughter and while I wasI was wiping them off tonight she said that I was wierd and that NO ONE wipes down their doors. I starting thinking about it and wondered.

Tell me the truth, I don't mind being the only one but am really curious. MFP is the only place I know to get honest, truthful answers to questions you wouldn't ask anyone else. There are so many interesting people with varying opinions.

Do you have any strange cleaning tendencies?

Odd subject I know...

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    First off, that's rude of her, especially if she knows about your disorder. Second, no way is it weird! Especially if you have animals, they get dusty and yellowed if they are painted white...I have obsessive-compulsive tendencies myself (wouldn't call it a disorder, but my shrink may say differently! :laugh:) but my mom doesn't, and she cleans them at least once a month (8cats and all.) I say normal.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I wipe down doors! I also clean other peoples houses and I wipe down their doors its actually my pet peeve!
    Ok, I do have OCD (really). I know it, I work on it and am getting better. Most of the time it's with things being straight or "feeling right". I don't know how to explain that part. Somedays I tie my shoes 20 times because they just don't feel right. It's sad & a little overwhelming. I clean alot, not because of germs so much as that I like things clean & tidy.

Here's where I want your honest opinion. Does anyone ever wipe down the doors on the inside of the house? Once a year or so? Serious? I have a 16 year old step-daughter and while I wasI was wiping them off tonight she said that I was wierd and that NO ONE wipes down their doors. I starting thinking about it and wondered.

Tell me the truth, I don't mind being the only one but am really curious. MFP is the only place I know to get honest, truthful answers to questions you wouldn't ask anyone else. There are so many interesting people with varying opinions.

Odd subject I know...
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do it every few months. You should take a before and after picture. Sometimes something doesn't look dirty until you wipe it down. BIG DIFFERENCE!
  • Kristy0728
    Options
    I clean them off when we have illness running through the house. On occassion I clean them off just because I have young daughters who use their messy hands to open doors, lean on them etc.

I grew up in a house where we cleaned the WALLS, polished and cleaned all the woodwork in the house 2 times a year.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have mild OCD and I totally and fully understand that things sometimes just aren't "right" and we need to make sure they are right before we can move on to anything else in life.

I will say that I have never cleaned a door at home (maybe the glass door to the patio) but I clean them all the time at work. It is fairly normal to wipe down a door now and then, they gather dust and dirt like anything else in the house. I just don't clean them at home for some reason! Now I feel odd. :) haha
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I wipe down my doors, and door handles, and door jambs every weekend, especially the restroom ones.
    Options
    Our doors are wood and my husband is a neat freak.... we have to use pledge on all the wood in the house at least once a month including doors, cabinets, baseboards, etc. If its wood, it gets wiped with pledge.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible house cleaner and I wipe down the doors occasionally - especially the bathroom where there are grubby fingerprints on them!
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't have OCD...far from it. Im not a slob, but Im not the most tidy person. I have wiped doors. They get full of finger prints and dust.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Good to know I am not the only anal one around. I wipe the doors all the time, I call it "attention to detail".
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    I not only wipe down the doors, but I move furniture and wipe down all the baseboard and I vacuum the corners of the ceiling. You're perfectly normal -- granted it only happens every few months but I do it.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I do it every few months. You should take a before and after picture. Sometimes something doesn't look dirty until you wipe it down. BIG DIFFERENCE!

I agree! I wipe them down too. I actually use the wet swiffer and wipe down my walls every few months too. They get dusty easy
  • AlliecoreXX
    AlliecoreXX Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Uh yeah. I dust mine every time I clean. They catch dust just like everything else. Ignore her! ;)
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Odd subject I know...

I dust the doors front and back & also the baseboards once a month. That's not weird...that's clean. I don't like having dust & fingerprints on my doors, windows, etc.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I wash my inside doors frequently! I would say every other month, but it should be done every other week! They get smudges, dirt and grime on them from being touched. Your step-daughter was being wierd. How would she know if everyone else did it? LOL! I'm sure none of her friend's moms do it when she is watching. I know I do it when nobody is home generally.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    And yepp, I was taught to clean the walls too. We had two big, dirty doggies growing up who layed against the wall, so once a month the three of us would sit down with Magic Erasers and a big bucket of hot water and scrub the walls. :)
  • Mrsg711
    Mrsg711 Posts: 12
    Options
    Agreed!!!!!
  • Cmacdonald75
    Cmacdonald75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i never wash or wipe my inside doors. not even the door knobs. just never think about it. once in a while will clean the door in the ktichen but it gets dirtier than the inside doors.
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not OCD and I'm not a neat freak and neither is my husband and I don't have any pets (unless you count my kids) and I wipe down the doors probably about once a month. Same with the keyboard and all the picture frames on the walls. Simply because you don't know what has settled over the months and door handles are the quickest way to spread germs. So no, I don't think you are crazy.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I clean my doors and walls about once a week, and I dont even consider myself very good at cleaning. Doors and walls get so gross though they need to be cleaned offten! I wouldnt worry about it if I were you!