sweetening coffee.....what to use?

Options
I enjoy a good cup or more often than not 3 cups of coffee most mornings, but am getting tired of plain old black unsweetened coffee. So, my question is this: is stevia any better for you than splenda, as far as artificial sweeteners go? I have a friend that insists stevia is better, but I can't handle the taste. any & all opinions are welcome

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Why do you need artificial? I think agave tastes really good in coffee. It has a lower glycemic count than regular sugar. I also use vanilla sugar(put a few vanilla beans in a glass jar and cover them with sugar. Wait about a week and the sugar is infused with vanilla) I just count the calories as they are.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I use splenda. I hate agave and new research is coming out that says agave is not low glycemic afterall and in fact is basically fructose, the worst of the sugars. I tried stevia but don't like it. I find it very bitter. I don't drink coffee every day so I am not worried about using the artificial sweetener. I think there's too much hype surrounding the use of artificial sweeteners. I think as long as you are not consuming large quantities every day you'll be fine.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i still use real life sugar in my coffee. but the kind i get is an organic sugar made directly from evaporated cane juice so it's less processed.

anything else to me makes the coffee taste weird and believe me, i've tried everything.

the other option for me is to drink it iced since that's the only way i can drink unsweetened coffee.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    You can buy truvia, purevia, etc which is refined stevia. Not sure if it's healthier in that state, but it tastes more like just sugar.

I've tried the Torini sugar free flavored syrups but they all taste gross, IMO.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use splenda. I tried to switch to stevia but it was way too bitter...kinda gross lol.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Sweet and Low. Which I know it's really bad for you. I use a lot every day. 3 cups of coffee = 6 sweet n low, plus I use it in cereal when I eat that. I've tried others and I just don't like them.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Call me the purist. I actually enjoy plain black or just a bit of half and half in my coffee. I drank my coffee with sugar for about a year...however I stopped that habit about 5 years ago and now if I ever have a coffee with sugar it is so sweet I can only handle a sip or two. I also would rather have those calories for other foods. If you need sweetener try stevia or honey...both are natural and healthy. Stevia has low cals but can have a bitter taste if too much is added, honey is similar to sugar but can infuse a floral taste. If you need sugar...just cut back on your portion. Do what is right for you.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Since learning I have pre-diabetes, ive been doing half real sugar and half Purevia (stevia). It can taste a bit weird, but its better for my health.
  • aimeelee76
    aimeelee76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use splenda and I drink two cups of coffee everyday.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few brands of stevia. I think they all taste bitter. So I use half sugar and just a pinch of splenda. Coffee is one thing I just love, so it has to taste good.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I would go with regular sugar and just work it into my calories for the day.
  • devinbugland
    Options
    thanks for the advice!!!
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use real sugar.. Only a small tsp of it, though. I grind my coffee fresh at home. It tastes way better than the pre-ground crud.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I only drink one cup a day in the morning, so I allow myself a little bit of real sugar.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I use xylitol, aka birch sugar, taken from birch trees. Not the stuff made from corn. Don't feed it to your dog, and other than that, it's the opposite of sugar - kills bacteria, remineralizes teeth, anti-viral, low-glycemic, etc.

I sometimes also use coconut palm sugar.
  • ice99706
    ice99706 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia... half a spoon, it's pretty sweet. Zero calories. And all natural. :D

I like it waaaaay better than Splenda or NutraSweet.
  • lionempress
    lionempress Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Splenda is sucralose which is bleached sugar. You actually get used to Stevia once you use it regularly, and it is natural not artificial. I don't mind it in tea, but not so much in coffee. Another all natural sweetener that I plan to try in the future is xylitol, which I heard doesn't have an after taste and can also be used in cooking/baking. Other than those two, plain cane sugar, or agave I would stay away from the others.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    vanilla almond milk makes it yummy!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I prefer Stevia in the Raw. I have tried different brands of stevia, and some are very bitter. Apparently they are not created equal.

I prefer also to stick with plants for sweeteners as opposed to chemicals.
    My body literally cannot tolerate aspartame- INSTANT migraine
    and sucralose *can* have a laxative effect if used on a regular basis
    NEITHER of these scenarios work for me, and I'll avoid them @ all costs.
  • SSAHM
    SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Try natvia