Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Y are you trying to eat brown rice?
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    omg I love brown rice!! That is all we eat at our house. We do eat it plain, but some mix ins that I like are:

Cook the rice with half water half teriyaki sauce
    Instead of cooking with water pour in some kind of broth
    I love putting in a can of chicken and noodle soup and cooking the rice - delicious!
    Cook the rice and then add with scrambled eggs

Let me think of some more ideas.....
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Just like white rice, it goes with everything haha.

^ THIS!
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Use chicken, beef or vegetable stock to cook it in instead of water. Gives it a lot of extra flavor. Eat as a side dish, or top with veggies or meat. Or, let it dry out a bit after cooking and saute' briefly in a light oil to get nice nutty flavor. It grows on you.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My fave brown rice add-ins are soya sauce, BBQ sauce or Frank's Red Hot Thick. The best thing about brown rice is that it takes flavor really well.
  • vegagirl2012
    Options
    bump
  • Honey623
    Honey623 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thank you everyone. They all sound yummy!:happy: I look forward to tryin them :smile:
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhh yummy, this thread had a Curtis Stone ad on the side. Mmmmmmmmmmm :love: :love: :bigsmile:
  • jbuntu
    jbuntu Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found a good way to cook brown rice? I tried it in my rice cooker, and I guess the water/rice ratio is not the same as that of Jasmine, Rose, or any other white rice.
    I cook mine in the rice cooker too. It takes about 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. It does take longer. My rice cooker has the option for white or brown rice. It usually takes about 90 minutes to cook. You can try it on the stove that way.

I agree with Monda. Brown rice cooks well in the steamer but it takes longer. I usually ad 1.5 cups of water for every 1 cup of brown rice. The steamer just automatically takes longer to steam off the extra water.

I like to spice mine up with McCormick Grill Mates Fiery 5 Pepper or Mrs Dash's Extra Spicy seasonings. There are also many quick and easy recipes for stir frying leftover rice on youtube. Fried rice is definitely better using day-old steamed rice. You can also cut way back (or even eliminate) the oil when stir frying to save the calories.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    i do what i do with white rice....stir fry, chicken cacciatori (sp), curry, add it to soup, fried rice, etc
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one TRYING to like brown rice. My problem is that I can't add butter or gravy and I just have to have one or the other so I usually don't eat brown rice or rice at all. If anyone can tell us a better way than just cooking and eating it plain, I'd love to hear it.

I put a small amount of flavored EVOO in my rice cooker when I'm making brown rice. EVOO that matches the flavors of the entree. So if I'm making spicy chicken, I'll use Chili Pepper infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil in it. And maybe some cumin powder.
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    When I first had brown rice, I hated it so I covered it with salsa. Now it doesn't bother me so I can eat it plain, but sometimes I still like it with the salsa!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found a good way to cook brown rice? I tried it in my rice cooker, and I guess the water/rice ratio is not the same as that of Jasmine, Rose, or any other white rice.

Brown rice requires much more water than the others. Which is a good thing, in all reality! It's much more of a "whole food" than some other rice choices. Which means more health benefits for you :)
  • Noorkitty
    Noorkitty Posts: 15
    Options
    I did the same thing (in the rice cooker) it was hard and crunchy. I am use to jasmine rice-I was trying to take it slowly and do half jasmine /half brown to ease into it but the water/rice ratio is obviously different!

Ok make it like this. The Bengali way.
    Take saucepan
    Rinse rice
    Cover with water about 3 fingers up.
    Cover pan and let it boil
    Then reduce heat
    Watch it.

Stir from time to time.
    Check rice, when done
    Take colander
    Strain out the starch. Let rice sit and rain.
    You can not go wrong - we are rice eaters !
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    omg I love brown rice!! That is all we eat at our house. We do eat it plain, but some mix ins that I like are:

I love putting in a can of chicken and noodle soup and cooking the rice - delicious!

I use the medium grain brown rice that needs to cook for close to 45 minutes. I like to use broth as well, or soup, and sometimes I'll chop or dice veggies like carrots, onions, celery, etc. I also crush garlic and put in sometimes. My husband likes peas in there, but I'm not big on them.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    bump
  • michknd
    michknd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I put low sodium old bay seasoning in the water when i cook it, I also use the large rectangle tupperware with the vented top & in my microwave it takes about 24 minutes where regular white only took 20.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I use the medium grain brown rice that needs to cook for close to 45 minutes. I like to use broth as well, or soup, and sometimes I'll chop or dice veggies like carrots, onions, celery, etc. I also crush garlic and put in sometimes. My husband likes peas in there, but I'm not big on them.

Oh, and instead of butter I put olive oil in the water while cooking.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i cook mine with some low sodium and fat free broth.

Sometimes i cook it with plain water and then when its done i add a bit of Taco seasoning to it...its yum!!
  • Noorkitty
    Noorkitty Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi :smile: Quick question, I know lots of you eat brown rice...do you add different ingredients to switch it up a bit? Instead of plain old brown rice...:grumble:

Brown rice is a nice nutty flavour which I love. And yes takes a bit longer to cook than white, so make it how I and my granny has been cooking rice for generations :)

Also I eat it like I have rice with curries or dry veg or even as a salad. But if you want to spice it up a bit....

Some easy combos
    Heat oil
    Crack whole seeds - cummin or mustard seeds
    Add sliced onions
    Caramelise
    if brave you can add dry red chillies or even chopped green chillies
    Salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder. A pinch each.
    This is your base. If you don't have cumin seeds doesn't matter as long as you caramelise the onion.

To this add fried aubergines, or peas or even fried diced potatoes.
    ( marinated diced aubergines or potatoes with salt and a pinch of turmeric, then fry)

Always garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley.