Brown Rice

Options
13»

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    omg I love brown rice!! That is all we eat at our house. We do eat it plain, but some mix ins that I like are:

Cook the rice with half water half teriyaki sauce
    Instead of cooking with water pour in some kind of broth
    I love putting in a can of chicken and noodle soup and cooking the rice - delicious!
    Cook the rice and then add with scrambled eggs

Let me think of some more ideas.....

Very cool! Thank you for posting this!
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • Noorkitty
    Noorkitty Posts: 15
    Options
    I also cook quinoa like I cook rice. Because all this 1 cup this to 2 cups that used to drive me mad and I used to get real soggy results. So now do open pot cooking whee I can watch, just like pasta actually.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found a good way to cook brown rice? I tried it in my rice cooker, and I guess the water/rice ratio is not the same as that of Jasmine, Rose, or any other white rice.

it helps to soak brown rice for a few hours before cooking.
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I cheat, I make the 10 min boil in bag brown rice. I'm not sure if there is a nutritional difference but all it takes is 10 min in a microwave and it comes out perfect. Any other way and I either burn it or under cook it.

I sometimes put a little Italian dressing in it or low sodium soy sauce. However, low sodium soy sauce it still pretty high so if your watching that, I would advise against it. There is also a spray that I use that I found next to Pam in the grocery store. It an oil and balsamic and its really good.

I put chicken or steak in it, bell pepper, carrots, bean sprouts. Whatever I feel like throwing together.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I use it for stuffed bell peppers (turkey stuffed peppers from skinnytaste.com)

Awesomeeee

I pretty much only use it in recipes lol
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i dice up asst veggies and throw in while the rice is cooking and then add bragg's liquid aminos to it before eating.
  • suedonym
    suedonym Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A portion of brown rice with some thick greek yoghurt & a little sweet chillie sauce... delicious, almost like a pudding.
  • jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    Bump
  • ThinMint7
    ThinMint7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use brown rice in place of pasta; this week I made meatballs & spaghetti sauce for my family and I ate mine on top of brown rice. (The family ate theirs with pasta).
  • Honey623
    Honey623 Posts: 37
    Options
    Y are you trying to eat brown rice?
    I:heart: white rice but im trying hard to stay away from it so brown rice it is I just want to try something different & new thats healthy:smile:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found a good way to cook brown rice? I tried it in my rice cooker, and I guess the water/rice ratio is not the same as that of Jasmine, Rose, or any other white rice.

2 1/2 c water per 1 c rice. My rice cooker compensates automatically with extra time (I guess it knows when the water is gone? idk...)
  • jopamom
    jopamom Posts: 11
    Options
    Soak it for at least an hour with warm water. Then put it in the rice cooker.
  • MeMountainMom
    MeMountainMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You can Put it in a casserole in place of any carb. Great way to flavor and add till you get used to it.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the rice cooker too. It takes about 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. It does take longer. My rice cooker has the option for white or brown rice. It usually takes about 90 minutes to cook. You can try it on the stove that way.

On Sundays I make up 2cups of dry brown rice with 5 cups of water a very large bowl and nuke it in the microwave for 30 minutes on high. Then I measure out the cooked rice and separate it into one cup portion sizes to freeze for when I need it.

When I need it I thaw and heat it up, toss it through my raw salad greens add coconut oil and some soy sauce/ periperi sauce add my chicken/cooked mushrooms/whatever protein of choice and mix that through as well. Turns into a warm salad with alot of different textures. Taste great I have a version of something like that everyday. I love brown rice. I may start weighing it instead of measuring as due to being about 216 calories a level cup its easy to get additional calories if your measurements are off.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Coconut brown rice A few calories more with coconut milk so great for those trying to boost calories.

http://video.about.com/thaifood/How-to-Make-Thai-Coconut-Brown-Rice.htm