Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Sodium and Sugar

SSAHM
SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
I will eat realatively normal food but just watch my calorie intake, yes i am trying to cut out most of the crap but im not going to live on salads and vegetabes for the rest of my life. Thats not me, im not a rabbit and i know that if i do limit myslef to those foods i am setting myself up for failure because its not something that i will stick to. So keeping this in mind, although i am eating rather healthy i still seem to always go over my sodium and sugar content. Is this going to matter so much??

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    I don't even track sugar or sodium. it's all about calories.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    I will eat realatively normal food but just watch my calorie intake, yes i am trying to cut out most of the crap but im not going to live on salads and vegetabes for the rest of my life. Thats not me, im not a rabbit and i know that if i do limit myslef to those foods i am setting myself up for failure because its not something that i will stick to. So keeping this in mind, although i am eating rather healthy i still seem to always go over my sodium and sugar content. Is this going to matter so much??

Depends on what you're concerned about. If you are eating at a deficit, you'll lose weight. Too much salt has been linked with high blood pressure.
  • repubgurl
    repubgurl Posts: 105
    Watch out for processed foods. I go over on my sodium especially on days where I've eaten prepackaged foods.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Sodium may be a concern for you if 1). High blood pressure may be a problem (runs in my family) 2). You watch the scale like a hawk since the sodium can cause water retention

I fit into both those categories so I watch my sodium typically.

As for the sugar. I don't know. I haven't tackled that yet. I still get a lot of it from fruit, but I love me some fruit.
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member

What a load of bs that is.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member

I don't track sugar or sodium either. I have lost 74kg / 163lbs.
  • tsh0ck

I don't track sugar or sodium either. I have lost 74kg / 160lbs.

and I'm 31 in 100 days. so ....
  • Cobehale
    Cobehale Posts: 54 Member
    I am going over my sodium and sugar too - so I have been doing some checking and the general consensus is that the sugar value is too low and accounts for all types of sugar regardless if it is naturally occurring or not - no differentiation between a chocolate bar and fruit for example. Do some google research on sugar RDA and that might help you set a different sugar goal for yourself.

For me the sodium is an issue because I am relying on some pre-packaged entrées to help me with portion control. Once I get that under control I will return to home cooked meals and I expect the sodium values to drop. I have really upped my water intake to counterbalance the higher sodium.
  • tsh0ck
    and that's just it, exactly. the sodium can cause scale fluctuations ... but enough water and it will flush out for most people. obviously you need to keep an eye on not adding any. same with sugar. but the thing is, we're all eating less and eating better. that in and of itself will result in a reduction of our sugar and sodium levels from the levels they were pre-MFP.
  • I will eat realatively normal food but just watch my calorie intake, yes i am trying to cut out most of the crap but im not going to live on salads and vegetabes for the rest of my life. Thats not me, im not a rabbit and i know that if i do limit myslef to those foods i am setting myself up for failure because its not something that i will stick to. So keeping this in mind, although i am eating rather healthy i still seem to always go over my sodium and sugar content. Is this going to matter so much??

Amen to that, I refuse to just eat veggies and salads the rest of my life either, I like my sweets and always will, I just eat less of them now, and i don;t care what anyone thinks of this!
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    I don't watch my Sugar because most of my sugars come from healthy things like fruit.... i DO watch my sodium because i find that the days i do go over on my sodium i weigh more the next day... i know its just water retention but i would rather not see the spike in my weight and be worried about my weight gain.... so i keep sodium in check... this takes some practice, you need to cut out most process/canned foods or buy the low in sodium stuff.