evil late night munchies, can you help?????please???

Options
my biggest curse is the late night munchies, it is like i am possessed or something. i lie in bed fighting with my self not to get up and eat, and generally i lose. have spoken to other mfp community and it is very very common apparantly. does anyone else have this problem??? does anyone have some advice or solutions (barring locking oneself in ones room and throwing the key away??)
i have tried munching on healthy fruit and stuff, it just doesnt cut it for me. i am sooooooo good during the day, but night? well craving that sugar and fat really bad.
HELP x

Replies

• BlooQKazoo
    Options
    Ugh. Same. :P I love eating after 10. I've read in several studies, though, that it doesn't hurt to eat late at night, so I'll save about 300 calories so I can have some 100 calorie popcorn and some oatmeal or something. I recommend the oatmeal especially, because it's super filling (especially if you add apple slices or berries). I've also discovered diet hot chocolate (Nestle does a 20 calorie one and Swiss Miss has 25 calorie), and I'll have two tablespoons (one serving) in a few cups of water with a packet of Truvia so that I get my sugar fix without actually getting much sugar. If I'm super hungry, I"ll get a bag of frozen veggies (broccoli or California Blend), add some cinnamon, and eat about half a bag. It's super filling, super good-for-you, super warm (because I hate cold snacks late at night), and only 90 calories!

I see no shame in late-night snacking. If you feel particularly daring, try a Fiber One 90 calorie brownie/fiber bar too! They're amazing (though small), and you only need to run a mile to burn it off. Mwahaha!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    air popped popcorn
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    my biggest curse is the late night munchies, it is like i am possessed or something. i lie in bed fighting with my self not to get up and eat, and generally i lose. have spoken to other mfp community and it is very very common apparantly. does anyone else have this problem??? does anyone have some advice or solutions (barring locking oneself in ones room and throwing the key away??)
    i have tried munching on healthy fruit and stuff, it just doesnt cut it for me. i am sooooooo good during the day, but night? well craving that sugar and fat really bad.
    HELP x

What do you usually snack on?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I usually "save" some calories just for this purpose. If I didn't "save" the calories, then I can't have the 100 Calorie Oreo Thins.....(just an example). This is my "reward" ..... yeah I know food rewards.....:blushing: Right now I'm trying to switch to Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares, probably healthier.

The trick is to find a something that you like ..... but not too much.

Sweet & Salty ..... the best thing. Wal-Mart sells "snack sized" packs of Indiana Popcorn Kettlecorn! Yum .... I can't have the full sized bag in the house.
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    well, pretty much what i can get my hands on that is in the fridge. i guess stuff like leftover dinner or cheese on toast, or crackers and cheese, rice, mostly carbohydrates i reckon.
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    HELP x

• annekevee
    annekevee Posts: 14
    Options
    Do you eat enough during the day? Maybe you're just hungry.
  • DinaRobin
    DinaRobin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more during the day so you are not hungry, and then go cold turkey for a few nights to get your body and mind adjusted. It will be tricky but could really help you get over it. A bit like controlled crying for babies!
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    yep i do for sure, my diary is open for viewing xx
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    Eat a bit more during the day so you are not hungry, and then go cold turkey for a few nights to get your body and mind adjusted. It will be tricky but could really help you get over it. A bit like controlled crying for babies!
    i hear what your saying about going cold turkey for a few nights.... your quite right. i just need to suck it up and get tuff on myself. i am a strong person, but when it comes to food i am just weak. oh. it all tastes soooooooo good. if only it didnt. thanks for advice x
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    yep i do for sure, my diary is open for viewing xx
    no i am not hungry, it feels like an addiction, eating for the sake of it. i must say if the pantry and the fridge were empty i would be fine. it is just knowing it is there. calling me. eeeeeaaaaaaaaaat meeeeee. I just lie in bed and think about it till i get up and eat it. sad i know. LOL. i should put headphones into my tv and turn it up really loud, might just drown out the food thoughts...
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake, as it is so filling but if that does not do the job i try herbal tea :)
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    Ugh. Same. :P I love eating after 10. I've read in several studies, though, that it doesn't hurt to eat late at night, so I'll save about 300 calories so I can have some 100 calorie popcorn and some oatmeal or something. I recommend the oatmeal especially, because it's super filling (especially if you add apple slices or berries). I've also discovered diet hot chocolate (Nestle does a 20 calorie one and Swiss Miss has 25 calorie), and I'll have two tablespoons (one serving) in a few cups of water with a packet of Truvia so that I get my sugar fix without actually getting much sugar. If I'm super hungry, I"ll get a bag of frozen veggies (broccoli or California Blend), add some cinnamon, and eat about half a bag. It's super filling, super good-for-you, super warm (because I hate cold snacks late at night), and only 90 calories!

I see no shame in late-night snacking. If you feel particularly daring, try a Fiber One 90 calorie brownie/fiber bar too! They're amazing (though small), and you only need to run a mile to burn it off. Mwahaha!
    ooooh diet hot chocolate sounds scrummy. i dont do tea or coffee or alcohol, but winter is coming up fast (i live in New Zealand) and maybe instead of eating, i could have a couple of those to fill me up. wow, thats a wee bit of a revelation actually, i might try that. thanks heeeeaps. will post tomorrow here and let you know how it went. xx
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake, as it is so filling but if that does not do the job i try herbal tea :)
    excellent, the protein shake idea sounds pretty good, its the sort of thing i would be aiming for as a late night munchie attack food. herbal tea doesnt do it for me, but i am gonna try the shake. thanks. xx
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So what's the problem? Why not save your calories for later and have a small meal or snack an hour or two before bed?
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    HELP x
    whoops sorry, am new to this and still trying to work my way round how to work the quote thingy. answer is as above. thanks

• Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been "pigging out" at 0100 when I get home from work (I work 4-midnite) ever since I started MFP last year. I tried eating a bigger dinner, eating a lighter dinner then having a late night snack, but nope, still want to eat lots when I get home. Keep track of what you eat while you eat it so you can burn it off later. Or I guess in your case, work a little extra to burn more calories to allow for your late night snacking. I try not to eat more than 300 calories now at this stage. Good luck finding something that works for you.
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    So what's the problem? Why not save your calories for later and have a small meal or snack an hour or two before bed?
    [/quote] i am open to suggestions and that sounds good, thanks.
  • VonJesserz
    Options
    < is snacking on dry frosted flakes :o

One of my weaknesses is sweet snacks! But I ate good today and exercised tons. Hehe
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    < is snacking on dry frosted flakes :o

One of my weaknesses is sweet snacks! But I ate good today and exercised tons. Hehe
    thanks x