Problems with arm curls

Options
Hey everyone,

I've been doing some strength training at the gym. Only using the machines at the moment. I had a go on the arm curl machine the other day, which I suppose is the equivalent to a barbell bicep curl. My right arm is fine, but as I lift I get an odd sensation in my left arm. Kind of like a caught nerve or something. It feels like it runs from my inner elbow up under my bicep. While I wouldn't say it is really painful it is unpleasant, and I don't like to think I'm doing damage. I thought maybe the machine just had an unnatural arc to it, but when I tried the same thing using free weights I had the same problem.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas, also wondering if you can just stay away from arm curls altogether and let the other exercises build your biceps.

Thanks
Nero

Replies

• almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    its common... I use to get it also!! A strength imbalance between the bicep and forearm can result in the pain you describe.. train your forearms and ease off the rest for a bit.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    If you are placing your elbows on a pad, then yes, you may be pressing on a nerve. There are lots of other ways to do curls to avoid this discomfort.

Barbell curls (or use the cable machine with a bar on it)
    dumbbell curls (alternating or both at once)
    preacher curls
    concentration curls

There are others, but you get the idea. Just find a variation that is more comfortable.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You could try using an EZ-bar or doing hammer curls instead.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you are placing your elbows on a pad, then yes, you may be pressing on a nerve. There are lots of other ways to do curls to avoid this discomfort.

Barbell curls (or use the cable machine with a bar on it)
    dumbbell curls (alternating or both at once)
    preacher curls
    concentration curls

There are others, but you get the idea. Just find a variation that is more comfortable.

All of these will help with this. I have the same problem with machine curls.

I mostly do concentration curls and standing barbell curls for biceps and no longer have that issue.
  • nero82
    nero82 Posts: 27
    Options
    Wow, great to know I'm not imagining it! I will try some of your suggestions, thank you everyone.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Wow, great to know I'm not imagining it! I will try some of your suggestions, thank you everyone.

It's a weird sensation. I've had it in my legs too doing machine leg curls. Freeweight exercises will help use more muscle groups anyway. It'll be good to get friendly with the dumbells.