Is 1200 Calories a day too little?

Options

Replies

• zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    1200 Calories Gate again.

Some people say it's enough, others don't. Depends on you, what you need, how much you exercise. Some days I'm satisfied with 1200, others I'll eat 1500 and others I'll eat 1800. Go with what feels right, not what people tell you you should or shouldn't eat:)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have very similar stats to you - 5 6" and 178lb in my case. I am on 1700 calories (before exercise) and have a goal of losing 1lb per week. You may have a different non workout daily activity level (mine is pretty low) so these numbers may not be right for you (they may actually be too low if you are more active) but I am giving then here so you can get an idea - and I lose weight at this level. I would suggest you try upping you calories. I like the suggestion of upping it by 100 per week.
  • CindyCountingCalories
    CindyCountingCalories Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My doctor, who MADE me sign up for MFP while I was in his office, would like me to eat 800 to 900 calories per day.

If I make sure that every calorie is good, nutritious, whole foods. I am pretty comfortable at that number.

His philosophy is "the faster you lose the weight, the more likely you are to keep it off".

I'm not sure if that's true, but at 1,200 calories per day (MFP's suggestion for me), I was losing about 1 lb per week. Lopping off that other 300-400 calories per day has me losing about 2 lbs a week.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!

If you look at all those who do the fad diets, they tend to gain it all back after they all lost it fast. Next, not that I want to question the wisdom of your doctor, but how much do you have to lose to go on such a LCD? Just curious.n Also, does your doctor realize, that fast weight loss increases the chance of muscle loss?

OP, as you lose weight you need to adjust your goal. Based on your weight, you should be aiming to lose 1 lb per week.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Bump for this ^^^

Thanx!
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    For me personally, at 5'4 and 154 lbs, 1200 calories is WAY too little. I eat 1600 calories NET every day, and I'm very active. Depending on my exercise that day I usually eat around 2000-2600 calories a day.

I would die on 1200 calories, lol.
  • fuzzyslipperz
    fuzzyslipperz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me personally, at 5'4 and 154 lbs, 1200 calories is WAY too little. I eat 1600 calories NET every day, and I'm very active. Depending on my exercise that day I usually eat around 2000-2600 calories a day.

I would die on 1200 calories, lol.

/agree. I do sometimes eat 1200 net when I have a very busy day and can't get in 2500+ calories, but not all the time. My husband would throw me out on the street. I'm 5'4 and 122 #. And I'm 44, not a teen with a great metabolism. :P
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 is perfect for the 4' tall girl that wants to be skinny and not look like a chicken nugget. Um, listen to your body. It's tired because it's hungry/deficient.

Congrats on all the weight you've lost. Now it's on to the next level. Build your strength and stamina and for your body's sake, a bit of muscle will do some good.

@ 5'2 I've found out that I can lean out on approx 1600 calorie diet. Obviously that number is a minimum. I would never pin myself to that number on a daily basis. That number would include at least 30% protein or more if I can help it.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    My doctor, who MADE me sign up for MFP while I was in his office, would like me to eat 800 to 900 calories per day.

If I make sure that every calorie is good, nutritious, whole foods. I am pretty comfortable at that number.

His philosophy is "the faster you lose the weight, the more likely you are to keep it off".

I'm not sure if that's true, but at 1,200 calories per day (MFP's suggestion for me), I was losing about 1 lb per week. Lopping off that other 300-400 calories per day has me losing about 2 lbs a week.

I'm guessing you were extremely overweight. Otherwise, I can't believe a doctor would recommend this to the general public. I think when you post what your doctor recommended, you should post all of your body stats. What did you weigh when this was recommended? How much of that calorie goal is protein intake before your body starts eating up it's own muscle? It boggles me that a doctor would recommend that. Anybody reading that post, please keep in mind that medical advice was aimed at one person's "specific" needs.
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think it goes on how much you want to lose and how quickly. I'm 5"6 and I started at 185lbs (I'm not 178.4lbs) and my allowance is 1260 per day. I put that I want to lose 1.5lbs a week and I've pretty much done that consistently :)
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I'd be looking for a new Doctor!!
  • HopeytheHopester
    HopeytheHopester Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same diet as you and I only eat 1200 calories a day. It still lose weight. I think the calorie count is right/ did anyone see the hunger games movie?
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Ugh. In a word...YES. I don't think it's sustainable long term, and that's the goal, right? I'm losing right now at around 1800 or more a day. Lots of working out though...but you could easily still lose on 1500. I'd do it. The scale may go up for a few days...but it will fall back off again. DO IT!!:drinker:
  • jocelynne21
    Options
    1200 is okay what i do is just break my meals throughout the day. If i am hungry I will exercise to eat the calories i have lost
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    1200 Net Calories is not too little.

yes it is
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I was told not to go below your BMR because that is what your body needs to run your organs. My bmr is 1500 , I eat 1600 and exercise everyday .
  • jpbeck
    jpbeck Posts: 30
    Options
    My dietitian says 1200 calories is too little, but she probably was taking my individual traits into consideration. She put me on a 1600 calorie diet.
  • poponastick302
    poponastick302 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Whatever floats your boat! For me, 1200 is fine but I wouldn't be able to go any lower. So, go with what your body feels. If you're not feeling okay, then something certainly isn't right. As previously suggested, increase your calories gradually and see how you feel. Remember to monitor your weight as well - if you're losing it too quickly, not losing any at all or gaining weight, your eating habits are the first place to look.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Check out these links. They are in the group called "Eat more to weight less".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr
    and
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

I have lost weight consistently while eating 1800 calories a day, plus most of my exercise calories. That's close to 2200 calories some days! Just something to read about and see if it works for you. I know 1200 calories was very detrimental to me. That's when I educated myself. FYI - I lost 12 lbs on 1200. Then I upped - I gained, then I started losing like mad. I even have crazy calorie spike days once or twice a month. I have been dropping weight and inches like mad.

Good luck!

14839892.png
  • irenedemos
    Options
    I agree with you 100%.
  • shay_younggurl
    shay_younggurl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We're actually in the same position. I'm 5'7' and 178 pounds and have been instructed by MFP to consume no less than 1200 calories a day to lose two pounds a week. However, I burn about 600 (sometimes more) during a day's workout, so therefore I can consume about 1800 calories a day. I would die if I had to eat only 1200 calories a day. I need at least 1800 calories to sustain, with or without exercising!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I'd be looking for a new Doctor!!

Agreed! That sounds way dangerous considering most medical sites/articles I've read say never go below 1200 (at least not on a regular basis). That's just about a starvation diet! And loosing weight fast will NOT help you keep it off faster- you will be more likely to burn out and you will gain back fast once you start eating a more normal amount of calories. Best to eat more calories and work out more if you can. Better to take it slow and let your body adjust, and learn how to eat healthy and change your lifestyle- not just crash diet. And if you are really overweight, losing that fast will also cause tons of excess skin that will probably have to be surgically removed if you want it gone. Even my formerly-400lb + aunt was never told to go that low on calories!