Increased calories and no loss on weekly weigh in?

Options
I had a week off from mfp due to being away and gained 2lb over that week, as I was not eating all of my 1200calories prior to this, I decided that after my week away it would be a good time for me to start introducing more calorie dense foods and not so many low fat options to hit my 1200. However I had my weekly weigh in after hitting 1200 every day and found that I have maintained the same weight and seen no loss, how long will it be before I start losing again? I am careful with my sugar and sodium intake and just wondered if I am doing something wrong?

Replies

• Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i saw the scale move on the 2nd weigh in after my calorie jump! i went from 1200 - 1650. ; plateaued for 4 weeks prior!
    sorry your still eating the 1200 i thought you were uping them....
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If I understand you correctly .. which I might not .. You went from less then 1200 cal a day to 1200 cal a day.
    When I first started on here I was eating less then 1200 cal a day for a month I was on a raw diet which put my body into starvation mode. my body is a entire person bigger then yours so you may not need as much time to adjust as mine did but after uping my calories to BMR - 1000 (1600) I started to see the weight drop after about 1.5-2 weeks. It has been to explained to me on MFP or this is how I have interpreted it that our body in starvation mode slows down our metabolism and is like W T H are you doing to me it is conserving every calorie it can that you give it, when you start feeding it again it needs time to re-adjust out of starvation mode to figure out ok .. shes feeding me again awesome I can start burning fat instead of muscle... and for me that too again about 1.5-2 weeks. HTH
  • vickyj29
    vickyj29 Posts: 38
    Options
    Thank you both so much for your replies, I got caught up in the trying to be too healthy by having low fat versions of everything, I am glad that I will see the weight starting to come off in the next week or so. I am glad for the information as I'm going back to work from maternity leave in a few weeks so will possibly have to increase my cal intake again and will know to wait a few weeks to see a loss, thank you once again.
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    All my "dieting life", I've always gotten between 1000-1200 calories. I completely stalled on my weight loss recently despite the fact that I am working out hard 6 days a week. I had a full metabolic test done and it turns out that at 5'2 and 110 pounds, my body burns 1320 if I were to just lay in bed all day and not move. So I had to up my calories to at least 1350 on rest days and eat back most of my exercise calories. It's been really tough mentally to do but I have faith that it will work. I just upped my calories this week so I can't say if it's successful yet but I'm trusting my coach/trainer and going with this protocol. Good luck--I know it's hard but it's also "science" and our bodies DO need those calories or we won't function properly!!
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm so new to all this calculation stuff. I just figured out my BMR and BMI and now I don't know what to do with the numbers. Can someone help me with this? I've been stuck at the same weight for four days and this morning showed a gain in weight. I'm sure I am in starvation mode. Also, I had gastric bypass 18 years ago and I have gained back 30 lbs over my goal weight in the last year. Because of the GB, I don't know if I utilize calories as everyone else since I lost about 3+ feet of intestines during the GB. I have been dieting since January 5th. Started out counting carbs and after six weeks of really sticking to it, I had only lost three pounds. Discouraged doesn't even cover the emotion. I took a week off dieting and started to count calories. My daughter told me about this site and I love it. The numbers don't lie. But,,,,, I need help. I've only lost a total of 6 lbs since January 5th. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    More than likely 1200 isnt enough for your body. First lets figure out a few things. How much weight are you trying to lose? Also, what do you do for a living and what is your workout schedule. One last thing use the site bmr tool and post results. Just off hand i have a feeling you should be around 1500 ish calories.

BTW, dont do low fat as fat is very healthy for you. Also low fst substitutes are highly processed and usually are loaded with more sugars. Stay as close to all natural as possible.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    More than likely 1200 isnt enough for your body. First lets figure out a few things. How much weight are you trying to lose? Also, what do you do for a living and what is your workout schedule. One last thing use the site bmr tool and post results. Just off hand i have a feeling you should be around 1500 ish calories.

BTW, dont do low fat as fat is very healthy for you. Also low fst substitutes are highly processed and usually are loaded with more sugars. Stay as close to all natural as possible.
    1381 is my Bmr from the tool here. Also, I have high cholesterol so I was cutting out fats. I also monitor sodium and potassium. I'm a retired professional cake decorator, 63, Fairly sedentary but trying to walk at least 3 days a week. I was forced into early retirement because I fell and broke my arm a year ago in January. I have a bad case of osteoporosis and my bones break very easily. Broke a rib rolling over in bed once.
  • psuLemon
    Options

1381 is my Bmr from the tool here. Also, I have high cholesterol so I was cutting out fats. I also monitor sodium and potassium. I'm a retired professional cake decorator, 63, Fairly sedentary but trying to walk at least 3 days a week. I was forced into early retirement because I fell and broke my arm a year ago in January. I have a bad case of osteoporosis and my bones break very easily. Broke a rib rolling over in bed once.
    Well dietary fat does equate to cholesterol. And weight loss alone will improve your cholesterol. For you, i would put you at 1500 calories as long as you walk 3 times a week. You would not have to eat back exercise calories. I generally suggest 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. The best thing you or anyone could do is start doing some strength training. This will minimize muscle loss which slows your metabolic rate.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options

Well dietary fat does equate to cholesterol. And weight loss alone will improve your cholesterol. For you, i would put you at 1500 calories as long as you walk 3 times a week. You would not have to eat back exercise calories. I generally suggest 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. The best thing you or anyone could do is start doing some strength training. This will minimize muscle loss which slows your metabolic rate.
    I will change my goals by your recommendations. I really appreciate you helping me with this. I've been getting so discouraged and I know there has to be an answer to why I am not loosing this weight.
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm going through almost exact same thing - I'm aiming for 1300 cals (with intention of increasing - I'm doing it slowly). I lost weight on 1200, but haven't lost weight for a week on 1200-1300. But I'm sticking it out. I know it's difficult, but there might be other factors. I go through patterns of losing weight then not losing any for a week even though I eat consistently, so I think this would have happened whether I increased my calories or not. I am a tad impatient, I must admit, but I AM going to stick this one out.

Must say, I lost more weight last week when I hit 1200+ than I ever did on 700-900 calories (I have an ED, hence the very low cals there). I know people on 1000 or less will never believe that! It's true, though.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I'm going through almost exact same thing - I'm aiming for 1300 cals (with intention of increasing - I'm doing it slowly). I lost weight on 1200, but haven't lost weight for a week on 1200-1300. But I'm sticking it out. I know it's difficult, but there might be other factors. I go through patterns of losing weight then not losing any for a week even though I eat consistently, so I think this would have happened whether I increased my calories or not. I am a tad impatient, I must admit, but I AM going to stick this one out.

Must say, I lost more weight last week when I hit 1200+ than I ever did on 700-900 calories (I have an ED, hence the very low cals there). I know people on 1000 or less will never believe that! It's true, though.

What is an ED?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Good luck on beating that ed. I am helping someone now do that and its working fairly well. Feel free to add me as a friend. Also based on your ticket, your goal needs to be 1/2 lb per week or you risk muscle loss

ED = eating disorder
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options

Good luck on beating that ed. I am helping someone now do that and its working fairly well. Feel free to add me as a friend. Also based on your ticket, your goal needs to be 1/2 lb per week or you risk muscle loss

ED = eating disorder
    I learn something new on here every day. Thanks for educating me. And I agree with the above post and hope you beat that ED. Good luck to you.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Measure!

Dont weigh!

I have people in my group shedding body fat.
    Some go up in weight and some go down depending on their calorie and macro settings.

Let your belt be the judge!
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options

ED = eating disorder
    I learn something new on here every day. Thanks for educating me. And I agree with the above post and hope you beat that ED. Good luck to you.

Thank you <3

Oh, and to the dude who says "let your belt be the measure" - YES. See, the scales don't measure fat. If I didn't eat for 2 days straight, I could lose, say, 3lbs or something? But that wouldn't be fat. That would be no food weight, water etc. And if you keep eating less, of course the scales go down, but it's all sorts of things that are making it go down. Lean muscle is one of them, something I never knew until recently. If your belt gets looser and all that, you know you're on to something. Scales ARE helpful, but they're just a part of it. Like I said, they don't just measure your fat going down, they measure other stuff going down too, and some of that stuff you don't want to go down! :)