HRM with GPS

Options
Hey Friends,

I just bought the Polar FT60 (HRM w/GPS) and I did a 5 mile run this morning and was extremely disappointed. The GPS lost signal several times and at the end of my workout it said I only burned 18 calories. What I like about this HRM is that the batteries are replaceable. I use to use the Garmin 405cx, which I loved but my battery died and it cost close to $200 to replace it :( What is everyone else using?? If I am going to exchange my HRM I would like to have with a GPS because I am training for my first marathon and I like to know my speeds. Also, interval training/bike mode would be a plus. The Garmin 405cx had interval training/bike mode but the Polar FT60 did not.

Replies

• dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I dk if this will help... but I use runkeeper on my phone (If you have a smart phone) Its a really cool app that follows you via GPS tells you your pace, how far you went, elevation levels etc... and its a free app ! It also has coaching feature if you want it HTH :happy:
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I used my iphone for a backup for my run this morning since it was my first time using my new Polar FT60. My only reservation, using my iphone, is the battery and the GPS signal. I go through Sprint so it doesn't always have the best signal in rural areas and I am afraid I'll be on a long run and my battery will die. I rely too much on technology, LOL.
  • kevinmstevens
    kevinmstevens Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The only one that I have used, 3 of them now, is the Garmin Forerunner 305. It is a GPS with HRM. They don't make it anymore but it is awesome. Timex actually makes a good one in their run trainer model and also the world trainer. Go to a website by DCrainmaker and this guy does an incredible job of reviewing all kinds of tech gadgets. I like the new garmin 610 but i ain't that rich. Good luck with your run and you can do it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Somethings to try:
    Is the strap tight enough/wet enough? That should help with the signal to the watch and improve the calorie count.

As fars the GPS, I don't know how to help you there.. I also own a FT60 but don't use GPS with it... Mine has always worked like a charm though without the GPS.
  • honey1017
    honey1017 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar ft60. At first it worked like a charm but recently I am having the same problem and it is very frustrating. I've sent the watch in for repair but it was returned stating that it is within Polar specs.

The runkeeper app does log distance but does not have an accurate information for calories burned.

I am very interested in other suggestions for a hrm.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree the calories burned are no where near accurate on run keeper hahaha but between MFP RK and my HRM there all different so I take an average of the 3 and go by that! LOL

& I go through sprint as well but am not in a rural area and havent lost signal yet sucks that it is an issue for you... and I should add my "runs" at this point are never more then 40 mins and my longest bike ride was around an hour so I dont have to worry about battery life! Sorry I couldnt be more help!
  • bigtone34
    bigtone34 Posts: 136
    Options
    I use 2 methods to check distance. I have a polar rs 300 xd with the foot pod and I also use map my run app on my Iphone. Today I ran 13 1/2 miles and the watch/footpod had 13.52 and the map my run had 13.50 so they are very close.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Suunto ambit! Was just released, very accurate and easy to use with a ton of features.