Beating Self Sabotage

Options
I know I have a serious problem with self sabotage when it comes to weight loss. I am so unsure of how to stop it. Every time I am almost at a new goal I screw myself up and gain weight. I can meet fitness goals without doing this just not eating goals. Any ideas how to stop?

Last week when I weighed in I actually met my first 10% goal, woo wee, so instead of keeping with what I was doing I over ate every day.. causing a weight gain of 4.5 lbs. I do this time after time and I seriously do not know why.

No I did not eat over what MFP says I can but I still over ate. I know I can not eat back the exercise calories and still lose. It does not work for me. I need to stay closer to 1200 - 1400 calories a day to lose.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not going to be able to give you any ways to help you, since , I'm the Queen of self-sabotage, myself. But maybe together we could come up with the whys and the ways to STOP doing it. If someone tells me they can tell I've lost weight, it seems like I'm immediately eating all I can to prove them wrong. I'll send a friend request to you.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I also need the support to beat the self sabotage especially today. It is so bad. Hopefully we can all work together. I will send each of you a friend request amd lets try to work together to help with the motivation.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Let me know when you find the answer! I have had a horrible horrible horrible self sabotaging week! The only solution I have come up with is to jump off a bridge and get the sabotage over with quickly LOL any help and advice would be appreciated!
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Not sure where to find the answer as to why I do it let alone how to stop it! I wish it were like other things in my life. I just make up my mind to do something and it just happens! Not this though. It still gets the best of me every time.
  • Ladyeliah
    Ladyeliah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Last week, after jumping up four pounds in one day with no sign of it going anywhere for a week, and I ended up eating an entire batch of frozen cookie dough balls, a medium pizza, and a stuffed cheese bread in two days along with who knows what. I finally realized that watching those numbers on the scale was driving me crazy, so I set myself a new goal that will help me move in the right direction anyway. I started Couch to 5K so I have all kinds of mini-goals to meet and an ultimate goal to reach for and it gets me out of the house and away from the food and gives me something else to think about.

Maybe figuring out how to distract yourself will be enough. Every time you find yourself reaching for things you know don't fit with your goals, give yourself something else to do: take a walk, clean something, do whatever it is that you love to do that doesn't involve food.

We make our own weaknesses. Every time we give in, we make them stronger. Find what you love to do and not love it. Don't let food be the thing that defines you. It's the fuel that keeps our bodies going, but it's not everything.

You can do anything you put your mind to!
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am also a self-saboteur... Sometimes it helps to journal about how you are feeling when you actively are looking to eat outside of your planned menu. Also, there's the whole phone a friend possibility. Lastly, forgiveness is key for me. We are our own harshest critics and are quick to crucify ourselves for stepping off the path. The longer it takes you to forgive yourself, the longer you will sabotage yourself from success.

Personally, I had some rather deep-rooted fears of what successful weight loss meant for me, almost a repercussion if you will... I have always used weight as both a way to keep people at a distance, both emotionally as well as physically, and it was also the one thing I felt I could control in this chaotic world I call my life... Again, I didn't realize I did this for a very long time.

Hope that what I said makes sense and that it might help someone else... It will always be a struggle for me but I feel I am definitely in a better frame of mind than before I acknowledged these truths.

Kindest regards and best wishes on whatever path your journey takes you on!
  • mccarol1956
    Options
    I am also a self-saboteur... Sometimes it helps to journal about how you are feeling when you actively are looking to eat outside of your planned menu. Also, there's the whole phone a friend possibility. Lastly, forgiveness is key for me. We are our own harshest critics and are quick to crucify ourselves for stepping off the path. The longer it takes you to forgive yourself, the longer you will sabotage yourself from success.

Personally, I had some rather deep-rooted fears of what successful weight loss meant for me, almost a repercussion if you will... I have always used weight as both a way to keep people at a distance, both emotionally as well as physically, and it was also the one thing I felt I could control in this chaotic world I call my life... Again, I didn't realize I did this for a very long time.

Hope that what I said makes sense and that it might help someone else... It will always be a struggle for me but I feel I am definitely in a better frame of mind than before I acknowledged these truths.

This might be the key right here! I have been looking into my fears of success and what could happen if I was successful. I am thinking maybe a little counselling may be the key for me. Thanks for making those thoughts whispered inside my head come out!
  • kealey1318
    Options
    I'm glad that you could take something from my words!
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

i so relate to this observation......as soon as someone mentiones that i have lost weight or i see it on the scale i just started eating like there is no tomorrow....good luck to all of us:flowerforyou:
  • fishercarrie
    Options
    I feel like I could have written this post myself. I went gung-ho and was successful. Life got crazy and then I started self-sabatoging. I have started each morning with the intention of getting back on track and somehow I just loose control. I don't get it.... I can be successful in so many other ways but weightloss just seems so unachievable.
  • stargzr73
    stargzr73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am so happy that I am not the only one who loses weight and then gets scared and puts it back on (and then some :grumble: !) I don't know what the problem is - I clearly am afraid of losing weight (as kealey said - i am scared of what successful weight loss means), but I really really hate being so overweight - I hate getting dressed in the morning and having to find something that looks nice and hides all the fat and I hate being asked when the baby is due (the baby is 4 years old!! :embarassed: ).
  • kealey1318
    Options
    I am so happy that I am not the only one who loses weight and then gets scared and puts it back on (and then some :grumble: !) I don't know what the problem is - I clearly am afraid of losing weight (as kealey said - i am scared of what successful weight loss means), but I really really hate being so overweight - I hate getting dressed in the morning and having to find something that looks nice and hides all the fat and I hate being asked when the baby is due (the baby is 4 years old!! :embarassed: ).

I was asked around Christmastime if I was expecting again... My youngest is three and I am not pregnant again... :ohwell:

I was raised that if I 'just lost weight, boys would like me'... That started when I was pretty young. Then, some other things happened that honestly made me afraid of the boys 'liking' me. While I craved the affection, I was terrified of it at the same time. I have decided I no longer want to live in fear of 'what ifs' and just want to live the happiest, healthiest life I can, both for myself, and my family.

:flowerforyou:
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

This might be the key right here! I have been looking into my fears of success and what could happen if I was successful. I am thinking maybe a little counselling may be the key for me. Thanks for making those thoughts whispered inside my head come out!

You speak such wisdom. This is so me. I know I have used my weight as a way to feel safe. I had some issues as a child that have affect me through the years. I'm trying to let those issues dissolve away. We all need to realize we are worth the effort.. Good luck to all of us. Feel free to add me as a friend, if any of you would like too.
  • mccarol1956
    Options

I was asked around Christmastime if I was expecting again... My youngest is three and I am not pregnant again... :ohwell:

I was raised that if I 'just lost weight, boys would like me'... That started when I was pretty young. Then, some other things happened that honestly made me afraid of the boys 'liking' me. While I craved the affection, I was terrified of it at the same time. I have decided I no longer want to live in fear of 'what ifs' and just want to live the happiest, healthiest life I can, both for myself, and my family.

:flowerforyou:

Good for you! That takes some hard work. I am trying to get over it but just have not managed. Thanks for all your sage advice and remarks.
  • mccarol1956
    Options
    I have always felt my problem was all mine... meaning I was the only one that sabotaged myself when people started noticing. Also that my weight is my protection from many things. Thanks so much to all of you for talking about this issue! Maybe together we can beat it.
  • Mary2270
    Mary2270 Posts: 32
    Options
    wow! I totally relate to your post. I am dealing with self sabotage right now.