Starting to run...hate beinf seen

Options
I'm just beginning to run again and lets be honest, I'm horrible. At this point the most I can do without stopping is 1.1 km.. I run outside, I HATE that others can see me. I mind read about what they must be thinking about me. How do you push yourself to actually go out and run in public? I'm not overweight so I feel I should be expected to be able to run.

Replies

• hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Everybody has to start somewhere. People aren't watching you as much as you might think. If they are, it's for the two seconds as they pass you and then you're just another jogger/walker they saw on the road and quickly forgotten. The point is that you're out there changing your life for the better. You're not doing it for the spectators, you're doing it in spite of them and more-so for yourself. Oh, wearing head phones also keeps anybody from trying to talk to you and can help you zone in to your run rather than worrying that people are watching you.
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    Well, I think about how I always admire people I see running outside. So when I am running, I keep that in mind. And once I really get into the groove of my run, I don't care at all about other people seeing me. Good luck! Don't let self-consciousness prevent you from doing something you know is good for you!
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I just started running for the past 2.5 months and that was one of the *biggest* things that I hated. Since starting to run in January I've dropped 10 pounds and am more in shape than I've ever been - even when I was mega skinny I couldn't run for more than 45-60 seconds - and now I can run 3 miles without stopping!!!

I'd start doing it at night/early morning when there's less people outside or you could try the treadmill at a gym(:

I still wonder when people look at me if it's because I'm jiggly or what(; but it honestly does get better(: I don't really worry about what people think because frankly I'm doing what - most people - can't(:

Stick with it!(: I was able to do it 35 pounds overweight with shin splints and *zero* athletic ability(:
  • erineddy81
    erineddy81 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how fast or far you can run, you are still doing laps around those who are still sitting on their butt on the couch. You may want to try walking with jogging intervals. That's what I started doing, pushing myself every time, until the walking intervals disappeared, and it became jogging with sprinting intervals :) I look at starting fitness as a baby...you have to crawl before you walk and walk before you can run :D And when I see others out and about walking or jogging, my thoughts are more "good for them!"
  • peachy_keen
    peachy_keen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well, I think about how I always admire people I see running outside. So when I am running, I keep that in mind. And once I really get into the groove of my run, I don't care at all about other people seeing me. Good luck! Don't let self-consciousness prevent you from doing something you know is good for you!

I totally agree with this! I walk/jog right now and focus on how good I will feel afterwards.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    no ones really watching that much ..just do it..and the people in their cars will pass and be well on their way by the time u need to pause...and the people watching u from windows if any need to be doing it themselves hahahahah
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    It's ok. We're not watching.
    Of course, I confess that I run in the dark, mostly!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Run in areas that are quiet, but still suburban. That way nobody's around, but you're still close enough to civilization if something happens (injury, etc) and you need help.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I just started run/walk/jogging two weeks ago. I probably look like *kitten* when I do it. But I can't stand the treadmill and I love being outside when I can, so it is a good fit. Because I run with my dogs, I'm too concerned with them to care or notice what anyone else thinks.

Oh, and it will get easier....
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've always felt this way, and still do even though I can run 4-5 miles without stopping. But once I get past that first mile or so, I start to care less if people are looking at me. You'll get to that point too...just takes time.
  • cinole1706
    Options
    I agree with going earlier or later in the day. I like to go between 10:30 am on my off days and 12:30 on days I have class. Sometimes I get self concious and stop running if I see a person in the distance, but when I get into it I don't care if someone sees me running. Also, try shooting for a time goal. For example, I started with "I'm going to run for 8 minutes the whole time I'm out here!" Then it was 10, 12, and my goal now is 15 minutes. You can do it!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Well, if they're watching and not running, screw 'em... if they're judging, so be it. You're in this for you, not them. Besides, the other posters are right... no one's watching as much as you think they are anyway!
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    yes I felt this way, I kept going.

if people look at you weird, they are jealous
  • AutieBell
    AutieBell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had that thought too when I started running again. My best advice. Don't think about what people think. You are doing this so you feel better about you and you can be healthier. Just get out there and do it and don't worry about other people. Soon you will look better running anyways. Look at it that way. In technique and size whichever you are worried about. So just do it and remember why you are doing it!! Good luck and keep running!!
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    There are days when I run and I feel like a gazelle. And then there are days when I run and I KNOW I look like a moose on rollerblades! But I finish my run and get over myself because running is the best thing I can do for myself, and I don't worry aout what others are thinking about me, which I doubt they are because they're usually worrying about what they're doing.
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    ha ha, I was thinking about that on my jog today. The trail was crowded with people that were in way better shape then me but I just tried to get it out of my mind and think, one day I will look like those people who seem to run so effortlessly and I will wave to the new girl/guy as if to say, "YOU ARE DOING GREAT!" We all have to start somewhere, keep going and just try to ignore those negative thoughts!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think the only people that really notice other runners are runners - and it's usually just to give each other a little wave or nod.

Don't worry about what other people think, even if you're the world's worst runner ( I expect I held on to that title for quite a while, now I'm only 2nd worst) you're making positive changes in your life and, believe it or not, your start deriving benefits from practically your first step (same with strength training - your body starts undergoing changes from the 1st workout).

You wouldn't believe how self conscious I was the first time I ventured out of doors in running tights then it dawned on me - for most people runners are just part of the landscape - we're practically invisible.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way when you see someone driving by.....remember that YOU are the one exercising and they are sitting on their @ss in the car. At least you are doing something to better yourself.

That may sound harsh, since they may have actually exercised earlier or whatever, but it's a thought process that helps me not give a crap about the people driving by :)
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You really just have to learn to ignore other people. Just remember that a lot of people who are jogging were most likely in the same situation as you. Had problems running long distances and wanted to get better, so they went out more and not worried what other people might think.

Like today for instance. I look a wreck when I'm riding my bike. I think we rode a total of 8 miles, up hills and it's hard. It's the first time I had rode for such a long time up a lot of hills. I had to get off and walk. I saw people walking past and I didn't take much notice because I'm making the effort for myself to get fit and healthy.

I saw a lot of people my age today, I don't get out much and it's quite sad to see that I am the only one who is doing this while everyone else is sitting down and not doing much, I've just worked my balls off to stay fit.

If I am going for a run I get knackered. I have terrible knee pains, I get stitch early and have to walk, but if I see another runner coming towards me, I make the effort and carry on running, not only to look good, but it also helps you in the long run (no pun intended... >.>)
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I havd to admit, whenn I see people running, I think "You GO GIRL/BOY!! " to be totally honest as a "looker" it does inspires me and motivates me to be out there too.... I tell myself "That should be me right now out there running!!" So carry on, your inspiring more positive thoughts than negative..trust me! :) Don't worry your doing it for YOU not anybody else....... My daughter is a lil over weight and she tells me that she hates running (especially in front of boys) because she swears that when they look at her they are laughing out "look at that fat girl trying to run! I told her you are soooo wrong! They probably are not even looking or thinking about what your doing.....