Am in deep need of some guidance and direction!

Options
I am having troubles getting back to my goal weight that I lost back in '09. I have gained 22 pounds since then and have struggled to get it off! I exercise 6 days a week and eat healthy 85% of the time! I don't understand how to get all my calories in by eating healthy and not going over my protein! I feel that I may be getting too much protein! I'm just at a loss as what to do! I have switched exercise routines to keep my body guessing, but that doesn't seem to do anything! I'm running out of ideas on foods to eat! Is it possible to become intolerant to veggies?!?!?
Any advice or suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!
Melissa

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're worried about going over in protein?
  • CTRForever
    Options
    Because it's bulking up my body, and I have read on what too much protein does to your body and I have some of those symptoms. So I'm trying to watch it. I work out with Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper videos, so I'm doing alot of strength training and lifting weights, I just feel like it's not doing anything. I need some new ideas and looking for some help or suggestions. I have thought about going to see a dietian, but don't really want to pay the money to do so, ya know?
  • BBCKarah
    BBCKarah Posts: 4
    Options
    Your issue may be that you're strength training and lifting... Maybe try some high intensity cardio for weight loss, instead..? The combo of protein and strength training may be adding muscle weight instead of simply burning fat. The lifting would explain the bulking more so than the protein.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    are you plugging your food into the diary here - can you share it ?

Give us a clue what calories a day you're targetting for food, and how much protein / fat you aim for.
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you get too much protein it goes out via your urine, so please don't be afraid of getting too much protein. The body doesn't store it, like it does with energy (which it stores as fat). Protein is your friend and will also make you feel full for longer :)

Have you tried doing something completely different for exercise? If you take a week or a month off from your usual workout schedule and do something you haven't done before: zumba/aerobics/step-up/pilates/boxercise, horseback riding, hiking, canoeing, boot camp, salsa or something else exciting. It will get your body to move around in new ways and might just do the trick. Plus it's fun to try new things. Bring a friend if you're afraid of feeling insecure :)
  • catattack13
    catattack13 Posts: 117
    Options
    unlock your food diary and then ask again! don't be scared of protein, and make sure you're eating enough. :)
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Your issue may be that you're strength training and lifting... Maybe try some high intensity cardio for weight loss, instead..? The combo of protein and strength training may be adding muscle weight instead of simply burning fat. The lifting would explain the bulking more so than the protein.

Wrong. I won't go into the details, but search women and weightlifting and you'll find that you won't get bulky from lifting. I've been lifting since August 2011 and really started focusing on heavy lifting at the beginning of this year. I'm still losing weight and inches. I aim for 130-150 g protein a day.
  • HEATHERB500
    HEATHERB500 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Wrong. I won't go into the details, but search women and weightlifting and you'll find that you won't get bulky from lifting. I've been lifting since August 2011 and really started focusing on heavy lifting at the beginning of this year. I'm still losing weight and inches. I aim for 130-150 g protein a day.

You have to be eating way more calories than you body needs to be a female and bulk from weight lifting. I have been researching the whole protien thing and I have found that thier have been hundreds of studies on it. The studies have shown that people who ate 1.5-2gms of protien per kg of body wieght suffered no ill effects from it. So just so we have the math right ex:a 150lb person /2.2= 68.18kg X 1.5gm=102.25gms 68.18kgX 2gm=136gms safe to eat with no effects on the kidneys. If you have found reliable information that contridicts this please send me a link. I am not trying to be rude or anyhting I am a nurse and I like to keep up on the latest research.
  • illtemperedsebas
    Options
    At the end of the day it has to be more calories burned than consumed.
    If you do this you cannot help but lose weight.
    For the most part , a calorie is a calorie. Are losing inches around your hips/waist?
    are you concerned about gaining some muscle?
    So the question is do you want to lose weight(muscle and fat) or do you want to lose fat?
    Most people should be trying to lose fat, building some muscle from weight training will help
    you to regulate your weight better in the future, the more muscle you have the higher your
    basal metabolic rate will be, the more you will burn just sitting around doing nothing.
    Women always fear looking like some crazy amazon body builder when they weight train, THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN!
    The big body builder women you see spend years training harder than most men( many take steroids too) to look like that. Don't fear weight training and some extra protein, but mix in some interval cardio too!
  • execv
    execv Posts: 1
    Options
    Dont worry about getting "bulky" from lifting weights and eating protein. If it were that easy bodybuilders wouldnt devote 20 years of their life to lifting and hitting their protein requirements. You should go by body composition and not weight, as putting on muscle and losing fat at the same time may not move the scales much. I would encourage you to continue lifting weights, as the increase in muscle mass over time will help your body burn more calories on a day to day basis.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    If you get too much protein it goes out via your urine, so please don't be afraid of getting too much protein. The body doesn't store it, like it does with energy (which it stores as fat). Protein is your friend and will also make you feel full for longer :)

Have you tried doing something completely different for exercise? If you take a week or a month off from your usual workout schedule and do something you haven't done before: zumba/aerobics/step-up/pilates/boxercise, horseback riding, hiking, canoeing, boot camp, salsa or something else exciting. It will get your body to move around in new ways and might just do the trick. Plus it's fun to try new things. Bring a friend if you're afraid of feeling insecure :)

Your statement about protein is incorrect. Protein contains calories (4 calories per gram). When your body breaks it down, energy is released. You will still store the surplus calories as fat. Still, it's highly unlikely that she's bulking up from protein.
  • polkat5050
    polkat5050 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    7 hours of sleep daily and stress relieving activities are also important to weight loss. Stress and lack of sleep can add to weight gain. I'm new to this site and still learing how to use it.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options

Bad advice. Strength training is NEVER an issue. Gaining muscle is a GOOD thing. Not only will you be stronger, but you'll look smaller, more fit and your muscle with help torch the fat and increase your metabolism. If you can only do one or the other, strength training should be your choice.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. I did exactly what you did.

That lost 20 lbs is so easy to gain back, and difficult to get dialed in again for the loss.

I still have about 8 lbs over my lowest in 2009. I'm just at the high end of my healthy weight range, so I'm not stressing it too terribly much. Without almost obsessing over it, I can't lose weight. I just keep plugging along. You may be in a happy range for your body.

Keep tracking and keep exercising, eventually you will see the scale move. Take measurements, too.