Eating back calories burned?

Options
OK, so..you are supposed to eat back calories burned. I exercise in the afternoon. Should I add these extra calories after I burn them or add them during the day, anticipating how many calories I'll burn? It seems like too many calories to consume at one time if I have them after exercise, usually around 6:30- 7:00 pm. Please advise.

Replies

• nataliefallbach
    Options
    I eat my calories back and try to stick with 1400 a day although my trainer says I should be around 1500 - 1600 per day. I am not really sure as I have heard different view points, but I eat them anyways and I am still losing weight and building muscle. I think its important to eat the right kind of fat and calories, most of my food is high in protein and good fat like olive oil and avacados, coconut oil, so I don't feel that guilty about it. I have more energy if I consume the calories I have worked out. I am sure some people would tell me that is wrong, but its working for me. Hope that helps.
  • AussieLisha
    Options
    I had this problem as well - exercising in the evening, burning up to 600 cals and there was no way that I wanted to eat back all that! I didn't at 1st and my weight loss froze so I now have a protein shake after my workout - when I have it with skim milk and a banana its around 300 cals so that better than nothing!! :D I try not to eat carbs beyond lunch so I found a protein shake that is very low in carbs!!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If you feel you can't eat them after a workout, just try eating a little extra. If you tend to burn around the same calories on a workout, then just eat just under the calories you think you will burn.
  • 1blondechic
    Options
    Did your weight loss pick up after you started the protein shakes?
  • AussieLisha
    Options
    Yeah my weight loss has picked up!! I'm super happy with how it's going!! My aim is for 1 kg a week (2 pounds a week)!!
    When I didn't eat back my calories I actually gained 600gms as I was working my *kitten* off at the gym and not fueling my body!!