Question for runners. What to wear.....

Options
I am very new to running and am not sure what to wear for my very first 5k tomorrow morning. It is supposed to be in the low 50's and raining. I signed up for the race when the weather was in the 70's and sunny here :laugh:. This kind of throws a damper on things. However, I am still going to do this! What do you recommend I wear so I stay somewhat warm and dry?!?! Thank you so much for your help!

Replies

• soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently that said to dress for 10 degrees warmer than it is. I'd probably wear some running capris and a short sleeved shirt. Maybe have a light jacket you can shed before you start. Good luck and have fun!
  • kmg3475
    kmg3475 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I would suggest. You don't want to be too hot. Maybe a visor to keep the rain out of your eyes!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just read another topic about this last night. I'm a new runner too, and haven't done my first 5k yet - excited for you! Most of the advice in the other topic was no cotton! You don't want anything that is going to absorb the rain, so a wicking fabric for your top, pants and socks! A baseball cap or something with a brim to help keep rain out of your eyes (learned that last weekend when I was doing my c25k run in the rain!).

Have a great run tomorrow!
  • mhardest
    mhardest Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! I am so nervous and excited. Thanks for the help......
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    gillet's are great, they allow heat to escape via the arms but keep your core warm. You can find running ones that are water and windproof but very lightweight.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If it's over about 40 to 45 degrees I wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Anything else and I get really hot. Colder than that I wear shorts and a long sleeve shirt (it seems wrong to run in long pants but it doens't get that cold here). Under 30 or cold and raining I wear a North Face windbreaker with a hood.

Definitely no cotton. I wear Under Armour or Nike Dri-Fit stuff when I'm running - raining or not.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd be wearing shorts & t-shirt but I'm a crazy Canuck.

You'd be surprised how warm you are when you're running, even in cooler weather and it's far better to be slightly chilly than overheated. No cotton, wear a hat if it's raining.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    material that dries quickly. No cotton. Wear a warmup for before the race. If there is a place to change take a dry top for after the race. At 50 you shouldn't get cold while running unless the wind is high. you will get cold once you stop and have damp clothing on.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'd wear cap with a visor to keep the rain out of my eyes, shorts (maybe capris), and possibly a wind-breaker type jacket that somewhat repels the water.

I'm never cold after the first 30 seconds when I'm running.

Bring something warm and dry to put on after.
  • DistortedButterfly
    DistortedButterfly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Drifit shorts
    Drifit tank top
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If it's in the 50's, I would still just wear shorts and a tank top lol. I'd wear some type of hat to keep the rain out of my eyes...