BREAK?

Options
Are you supposed to take "breaks"? I want a big juciy burger so bad I can't hardly stand it, I feel like I'm going to break at any moment! If you are allowed a free day how soon can you have one after starting this program and how often after that? Someone Please HELP!!!!! I haven't broken yet but I'm right on the edge! But then I will feel guilty! I don't know what to do!

Replies

• Kbrain228
    Options
    Are you supposed to take "breaks"? I want a big juciy burger so bad I can't hardly stand it, I feel like I'm going to break at any moment! If you are allowed a free day how soon can you have one after starting this program and how often after that? Someone Please HELP!!!!! I haven't broken yet but I'm right on the edge! But then I will feel guilty! I don't know what to do!
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I don't think you really have to take a "break" to have a burger. If it's something you want, which it sounds like you really do, eat it. Remember you don't have to eat the whole thing - eat until you are no longer hungry - and write it down. You can compensate for the extra calories with more exercise and/or healthier eating throughout the day. When I want something that seems like it's not the best for me I give it a few days. If I still want it then I have it - like I wanted Mexican food SO badly a few weeks ago. In order for this to be a lifestyle change rather than just a "diet" you have to be realistic in your expectations. Is it realistic that you will forever forgo a big, juicy burger? Probably not. Don't feel guilty. Just work it in to your plan.

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!!
    Niccole
  • baday
    baday Posts: 35
    Options
    try a turkey burger...they are pretty good!
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Kbrain... I know exactly what you mean! Take a deep breath. Now, instead of beef, you can get the same amazing taste, just use an alternative so you won't beat yourself up. You can have a turkey burger with all the "fixn's" or a Boca burger with all the "fixn's". Have you ever tried Boca? They are surpisingly juicy and I swear they taste THE SAME! They are super high in fiber and protein, super low in fat and calories. Choose a big whole wheat bun and load up on the stuff to put on it. Just try it... you can enjoy every bite and not feel one bit guilty!
  • baday
    baday Posts: 35
    Options
    Boca Burgers are a good alternative also, but you have to admit, they don't cook quite the same as real meat. They almost seem to melt like plastic on a frying pan too and there is a bit of an after taste. Of course check out both and see what you think...
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Your other option would be to eat the burger at lunch rather than dinner with 1/2 a bun instead of a whole, chart it down and have a light supper. If you are over a bit, throw in an extra 10 minutes of exercises on the commercials of a t.v. show at night. That's what I did watching Survivor last night.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Or if you have an In N Out around you, you can order your burger wrapped in lettuce. I'm telling you, it's the best thing ever!!! Enjoy!!!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to have what ever I want one day a week. That day is Friday (Today *Big Grin*) I have to weigh in every Friday morning so after my meeting I can go and have lunch with friends or dinner out with my husband. Sometimes I do both….but not often.
    Tonight we are going out to dinner with our son and daughter-in-law….I am being good till then *giggle*.
    I know that Friday is coming and I can control myself till then. It gives me something to look forward to and really enjoy when it gets here.
    Tomorrow I will go back to my regular eating plan and be a “Really Good” girl until next Friday.
    I have found that where the problems come in is when I lose my mind and eat like a Fool ALL DAY LONG saying “Well…It’s Friday”. That is when I get in trouble.
    Eating what I want one day a week has helped me. Eating this way once a week isn’t what made me fat….eating like that EVERY DAY of the week is what put the weight on me.
    This is what works for me. But everyone has to do what is right for them.
    Have A Great Day and Good Luck!
    Loretta

P.S. I told the ladies at my meeting this morning about this site. I saw several writing the link down.
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are going to have some buddies joining you then!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    It would be really nice if they would join us here. I KNOW they would love it.
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you have to have a big, juicy burger - and nothing else will satisfy you - The best thing to do is to cook it yourself at home, and use lean hamburger. I heard that a homemade cheeseburger is a lot better than a cheeseburger you would order at a restaraunt or fast food place. (don't really know why)

Also, just work it into your calories. You don't have to go over your calories to eat it, just eat a light breakfast and lunch and eat the burger at dinner time. We all need a break once in a while - don't deprive yourself! Indulge once in a while! =)
  • Kbrain228
    Options
    Okay so far I haven't given in Well I did a little but I had a Subway Roastbeef sandwich instead! I feel like I didn't go off path to bad and now I don't feel guilty like I would have with the burger! Plus I ate afootlong which is much more filling than a little burger! Another battle won for now :)
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what the fuss is about. A burger isn't bad, like many on here have said, just use lean meat. I mean, don't eat them every day (that would be bad for the cholesterol), but have a burger, even have it on bread if you like, just be sure to make the right choices, don't put it on a giant processed white flour bulky roll, instead use a whole wheat bun, or cut it up and put it in a pita wrap with what ever fixings you like. I had one 2 days ago. 200 extra calories isn't going to kill your plan, but holding back and gorging after 3 weeks may put you in a depression, and many say depression and stress introduce chemicals in the body that actually slow weight loss. I can say for sure that depression will make you less apt to work out. So go ahead, eat that burger! And make sure you come back on after and describe exactly how it tastes for those of us who already had their weekly burger. :)
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    Banks hit the nail on the head. A burger isn’t really that bad. Make it at home and you can have it all kinds of ways.
    I am going to get some pita wraps the next time at the store. Thanks Banks for the really good ideas!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I posted a recipe for turkey burgers and the are d-lish BUT... go ahead and have your big juicey burger.. I had one today and loved every bite =D
  • sistersscn
    Options
    Take a break from what LIFE? I dont know about you but Big juicy burgers are definatly in my plan. I make them at home so I control what goes in them and what they are put on!! Whole wheat lite roll 98% fat free hamburger lettuce tomato and whatever Of course you need to limit to once a week or so But ENJOY and dont feel guilty or you will not continue with your new lifestyle EATING HEALTHY