Help - Very Limited Food Options!

Options
Hi all, I need some info/advice on my food situation.

Where I'm living right now, my food choices are incredibly limited. Generally I eat rice and beans several times a week. Otherwise, I can eat dried fruit, chapati (kind of like a tortilla only greasier), and occasionally some meat. I don't get many chances to buy fresh fruits or veggies. I have access to a better variety of food about every other weekend.

I know the rice and bean combination gives me complete proteins, but I'm concerned about the carbs. I also worry about not getting enough fruits and veggies, other than dried fruit. I'm wondering exactly how this limited diet will affect me, and if anyone has any advice.

Replies

• Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have access to a better variety of food about every other weekend.
    When you have access - could you stock up and then have a day where you either prep a bunch of stuff for the two weeks before you get the good food again, or even cook up and freeze some good dishes so things don't go to waste?
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    That would be a wonderful idea, except I don't have electricity (I suppose I should mention, I'm in Peace Corps, and living in the middle of nowhere, which is fun, but a bit like camping). I do buy some things in town, but fruits and veggies only last a few days or so here without refrigeration. I'm not sure how I can stock up for two weeks otherwise...
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    I suppose I should mention, I'm in Peace Corps, and living in the middle of nowhere, which is fun, but a bit like camping.

Which country are you in... that probably impacts your choices. I have several friends who were in the Peace Corps or similar situations... a bit more info, if you don't mind! :o) And by the way - good for you! Very honorable!
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Interesting dilemma! What is the "native" diet like? What is the body condition of the people? Do they stay fit on their diet? Can you buy canned fruits and veggies? Know they're not ideal, but maybe better than nothing?
  • mfanyafujo
    Options
    Thanks! I'm in Tanzania. Pretty awesome here. I've been here a year and a half already, and this diet's gained me 10-15 pounds, despite exercise. I also think it's not very nutritionally sound. But if a fruit or veggie is not in season, we just don't have it. I'm sure I'll survive my last 8 months, but I would like to at least lose the weight that I've gained here.
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    Interesting dilemma! What is the "native" diet like? What is the body condition of the people? Do they stay fit on their diet? Can you buy canned fruits and veggies? Know they're not ideal, but maybe better than nothing?

Kind of the same thing I was thinking! I am curious where you are - as locally grown is often the answer. There are many veggies that keep for a long time, but I'm not sure where you are. My friend was born and raised in Africa - she lived on pumpkin and a variety of squash as her main veggie - as they grew well and kept for a long time without refrigeration.

Root veggies and tubers tend to last a pretty long time, too (though not as good as "winter" style squash).

You can also dehydrate veggies - or look for dehydrated veggies.
  • mfanyafujo
    Options
    @ llamalland:

The folks here eat a lot of rice as well, but mostly they eat ugali, which is just boiled corn flour. It's filling, but nutritionally like eating a large portion of nothing. Most people here are fit (they're all farmers), but proper nutrition is lacking for many families (evidenced by stunted growth).

I can buy canned veggies! I never really considered it because of the cost, but I suppose my health might be worth it. There's not a super variety here, but I guess I can get green beans, at least.
  • mfanyafujo
    Options
    @ChinaRoss1

Good ideas, all. I think there's some pumpkin, in the right season, of course. Other than carrots and potatoes, we don't really have any other roots or tubers, but the carrots are good. They just don't keep very long.

How does one dehydrate veggies?
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    Well... a couple cans might be helpful to you! You've probably already done this, but if you can fnd onions, leeks, peppers, stuff like that... you can add it to your beans and rice. Also like I mentioned before, if you can find any kind of root veggie or tubers (beets, carrots, yams, ?) they may last a little longer. Like I said, too, squash (if available) last a long time with no refrigeration. If you need tips on cooking it - let us know. Pumpkin saved my friend - but she was on the North West Coast of Africa, as I recall.

Is Okra available? Or eggplant? They may last longer, too. Okra is great with beans and rice. I have heard that Baobab fruit is very nutritious... but not sure how it stores at all (and I've never had it in my life!).

Good luck and keep up your amazing work. We need more great folks like you!! Be proud of your work with the Peace Corps. :o)
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    @ChinaRoss1

Good ideas, all. I think there's some pumpkin, in the right season, of course. Other than carrots and potatoes, we don't really have any other roots or tubers, but the carrots are good. They just don't keep very long.

Gotcha... sorry - I was writing my post and didn't see you had just posted!!! lol
  • Front_Runner
    Options

It's kind of a pain in the butt without a food dehydrator, but it can be done. The best way would probably be in the oven, at a very low temp, after blanching them. Here's a link...

http://lancaster.unl.edu/factsheets/115-94.htm

Maybe you can search it on the net?? Man - it's times like this I realize how lucky we really are! We take a lot for granted!
  • mfanyafujo
    Options
    Well... a couple cans might be helpful to you! You've probably already done this, but if you can fnd onions, leeks, peppers, stuff like that... you can add it to your beans and rice. Also like I mentioned before, if you can find any kind of root veggie or tubers (beets, carrots, yams, ?) they may last a little longer. Like I said, too, squash (if available) last a long time with no refrigeration. If you need tips on cooking it - let us know. Pumpkin saved my friend - but she was on the North West Coast of Africa, as I recall.

Is Okra available? Or eggplant? They may last longer, too. Okra is great with beans and rice. I have heard that Baobab fruit is very nutritious... but not sure how it stores at all (and I've never had it in my life!).

Good luck and keep up your amazing work. We need more great folks like you!! Be proud of your work with the Peace Corps. :o)

I'll buy some cans next time I'm in town. I like adding peppers to the rice - I'll do that. The okra here is incredibly bad. I will not eat it to save my life!! Well... for now I'll stick to the roots and hunting down some pumpkins. I definitely do not know how to cook it, but I'll find out.

Thanks to all for the help/advice.
  • mfanyafujo
    Options

It's kind of a pain in the butt without a food dehydrator, but it can be done. The best way would probably be in the oven, at a very low temp, after blanching them. Here's a link...

http://lancaster.unl.edu/factsheets/115-94.htm

Maybe you can search it on the net?? Man - it's times like this I realize how lucky we really are! We take a lot for granted!

It's possibly there's a food dehydrator around here somewhere. I've heard about projects where people build them too. Thanks for the link.

Yes - it's easy to take for granted simple things like electricity, running water, and constant internet access. I'm still better off than most everyone else in my area, because I own a computer, and can actually charge it through solar if we have sunshine all day. Most of my students have never touched a computer. It's pretty cool that I can be out here, in the village, and still communicate with the rest of the world (though at a very slow upload/download speed).
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    No advice I'm afraid but wanted to say good for you :smile:
  • mfanyafujo
    Options
    No advice I'm afraid but wanted to say good for you :smile:

Thanks! Congrats on your progress - very impressive!