Purple Dumbbells

Options
sjohnny
sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
I was doing my chicken**** dumbbell routine this morning and had gotten about halfway through my first (of three) sets when my 6 year old daughter came in and sat on the couch. She asked if I was doing that so I would get skinny and I said "No, I'm not trying to get skinny, I'm trying to get healthy (I'm trying to maintain a difference in her mind between skinny and healthy). These exercises help make my muscles stronger and when I run it helps make my heart and lungs stronger so I can be healthy enough to play with y'all and live a long time." "Will you live to be 100?" "Maybe but I want to feel good and be able to do things as long as I am alive."

She went and dragged out the purple two-pound dumbbells and asked if she could do the rest of my exercises with me. "You bet, baby." She also wanted to be in charge of reading off the list of what exercise was next. She finished two sets of dumbbell bench presses, single leg deadlifts, goblet squats, curls, and a few others. I kept an eye on her form. She asked when she could use heavier weights (the two pounders were fairly easy for her). I told her to give it time.

Then we stretched out and did half an hour of Just Dance on the wii.

It was awesome. And I found a use for the purple dumbbells - warm-up for a six year old girl.

Now if I can just motivate her 8 year old brother........

Replies

• nu2012
    nu2012 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hehe. Nice! The dumbbells I use are purple too! Hence my interest in the topic!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    How adorable! Well done for telling her WHY you're exercising... You're a wonderful example!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! Good for you. She is a lucky girl to have such a smart Daddy.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    ...She is a lucky girl to have such a smart Daddy.
    I like to think so :smile:
  • misslissa121
    Options
    So cute. Great job telling her why it is important to exercise, it's not about looking great, its about feeling great. Keep up the wonderful work.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    aww that is cute!!!
  • Hyoderrn
    Hyoderrn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :smile: That is awesome! My husband made wooden dumbbells for our 2 and 3 yr olds so they could exercise with mommy, too!!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    How cute! I keep telling my mom we should get the nephew some 1 pounders because he loves lifting things :laugh:
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Ahaha, thats so great
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Love this! My 5 year old son loves lifting weights too and correcting my form on workout DVD's, haha. He's also done a 1 mile race with my husband. Fun stuff!
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    That is awesome that you can involve your daughter in your workout and set a good expectation of what healthy is vs "skinny". Especially with all the media, tv, magazines that promote "too skinny" as being the way girls should look and put all those additional pressures on women to be unhealthy skinny. Way to go !
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    aww sweet
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Awesome job explaining getting healthy to your daughter!! That's awesome! Too many times, we focus on being what society expects us to "look" like instead of just getting healthy for us!! Love that you have a little workout buddy!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    :heart: Love this! :heart:

I'll have to remember this thread next time someone says they get enough strength training with the itty bitty dumbbells. :wink:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    And I found a use for the purple dumbbells - warm-up for a six year old girl.

My favorite part. LOL
    Very awesome story. If I ever spawn a little one I'd love to be able to do something like that because I never had it myself.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    SO awesome! You're a great model. :)
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Great way to lead by example, give it time and your son will get involved. Keep up the good work.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Oh cute story. My 5y/o does the same thing. My problem is that one of my cat love to drag those around :/
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Total winner! Yay you AND her!