hurt back

amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
edited September 19 in Chit-Chat
I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for my back. I've had issues with it as long as I can remember, and the last time before recently that it hurt was about two years ago....I slept in for the first time in months and when I got up my lower back was really painful and I walked kind of funny (I think my back was in spasm and I couldn't walk right because it was all locked up and tight). It finally went away after about two weeks.

Since then I've had maybe a day here or there where I would get twinges, but nothing serious since. About a month ago I had a few twinges when I stood up, but then a few minutes later my boyfriend ran up behind me and hugged me....not sure if he twisted me just right or if maybe he put some of his weight on me, but I went down in the most pain I have ever felt.

He had to carry me to the bed, and I couldn't barely walk the rest of the day without leaning on him for support. I ended up going to the ER where they just gave me meds, and my regular doctor the next day and got more meds and she figured it was a pulled muscle (didn't do xrays though, just had me to some resistance stretches to see where it hurt).

It hurt very bad all week, the next week was a little better but I wasn't feeling real good until after about two weeks. But here it is a month later and I am still not 100%. I can walk normal, I can ride my bike again, I even moved last weekend and felt pretty good. At home it feels pretty good, some soreness when I stand up and it's quite stiff and sore in the morning, but at work it's pretty sore (I sit all day, I try to get up fairly regularily to walk around).

So overall I am MUCH better, but it's bugging me that it's been this long and still not 100%. I'd say it's about 95% at home, and about 75-80% at work. I don't want to go back to the doctor and pay the co-pay for fear she will just ask questions and tell me if it's not better in another few weeks to come back. She gave me some stretches to do and they seemed to help in the first week but the second week when I did them my back hurt more the next day than it had all week, so I have been afraid to do them.

Any suggestions? Given the severity of my intial pain (it had never hurt so bad before to warrant an ER visit) does it just need a lot more time and I am being impatient, or does it sound like something more serious?

Replies

• zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Have you tried a Tempurpedic or Temurpedic like (spelling?) mattress or mattress topper. We got a Bob-o-pedic version and it has helped my husband's back a lot. And I certainly sleep a lot better.
  • Ffer0509
    Ffer0509 Posts: 13 Member
    I've had that kind of back pain...but not in a while. I had to exercises to strengthen my back muscles, and as long as I do them somewhat regularly, I'm okay. With that said, I haven't thrown my back out in a few years.

I'd go online and see what exercises you can find...they're not usually too involved. I found I could do mine in bed at night.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    After looking at your profile, I noticed that you sit for 8 hours a day. This can contribute to the problem. Posture is very important for avoiding back pain. You can try sitting on an exercise ball for part of the day (there are different sizes for people of different heights, so make sure you get one for your size). Also, get up and stretch throughout the day. People go for smoke breaks, you can have a little stretch break (just search the web for desk yoga or similar) - or even a little exercise break. And, of course, watch your desk posture.

You should also do back strength and flexibility exercises - again, you can search the web - but superman is very effective for lower back pain. If your hamstrings (the back of your legs) are not flexible enough, you will make up for this by using your lower back. When you bend at the hips (to stretch) keep your back flat - this will isolate the hamstrings (unless you are super flexy, but that's another discussion).

Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.