Weight Watchers vs. Calorie counting

Options
I'm not sure which is the best way to go. I also track on weight watchers. Yesterday I was under my 1200 calories but over on my points by a bunch. I don't understand the point concept, I guess. Can anyone enlighten me?

Replies

• brian24walker
    Options
    I'm not sure how Weight Watchers works now, but a few years ago when I was on WW, Points was a calculation based on calories, fat grams, and carbohydrate grams. The kit had a slide calculator so you could look at the Nutrition Facts on an item and determine its points. If two items had the same calories, but one had considerably more fat or carbs (or both), it had a higher point value.

Hope this helps!
  • Vanessadk0604
    Options
    My boyfriends mom is doing WW and has done GREAT, shes lost about 65 lbs. We have basically figured out that 1 WW point is almost equal to 40 Calories give or take. Also you have to remember when your counting your calories you count EVERYTHING. with WW you get free fruits and veggies.

Hope it helped!!! :-D
  • gmeiners2
    gmeiners2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    WW uses the point system, and gives you credit for high fiber, high protein, and low fat foods. It's a little easier to keep track once you learn the points system, but some people get caught eating too many calories because of the credit for high fiber and exercise. Overall, it's a good system. I have been more successful just counting carbs...they are the enemy for me. Good luck!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to both. I only recently left WW for MFP.

If you're eating a lot of light, fat free, diety things, it would be possible to eat more points than calories.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    My mom couldn't really get with calorie counting, but has found major success with WW.

I remember someone once saying, all diets work. You just have to pick one that works for you and stick to it.

I'm a firm believer in that statement. :)
  • kelleybelly35
    kelleybelly35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i used WW for my intial weight loss but i had to switch to counting calories to get the last 5-10 lbs off
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's about whatever you can and will do 100%. Both WW and MFP support bigger picture lifestyle changes. Both have tools to learn new habits. It works if you work it.
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am a WW liftetime member and yes it works... I went back last year, and try the new point plus plan...I like the old points plan much better. I just cant get past not counting fruits and some veggies. The free foods on WW can hurt u if you are not careful and I think that was part of my problem. I like counting all foods , that why I know just how many calories Iam eating. And I read on this post that some one said 1 point = about 45 cals give or take a little, thats about right from what I know. WW is still a great plan, I just find it easier to count all cals.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    my friend does WW and i do calories on MFP, i find my way so much easier, but we have both lost weight successfully.
    its easy to see the nutrition on something from the package which i use, but she has to carry a WW calculator to convert everything into points which would drive me nuts lol
    also i refuse to pay for somebody to weigh me every week when i can do it just fine for free with all my lovely MFP friends :-)
  • DoreenS
    DoreenS Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am currently also doing WW but have lost my motiviation (that is why I am checking out MFP). I am not giving up on WW totally only because that is the only program that has worked for me. I might try both to see where I can see where I can improve my food choices and take it from there.
  • jtheiss
    jtheiss Posts: 14
    Options
    I have started and quit WW more times than I care to admit. I successfully lost about 40 pounds the first time I did it, but every time after that I just couldn't stay motivated to stick with it. I like MFP better because I can see more easily where my weight loss is coming from (calorie deficit) and I don't have to rely on WW to give me a points value for my food. I can look at a food label and make a judgment immediately as to whether or not I have the calories left to eat it. And I like that MFP has more of an undertone of health and fitness than just weightloss.
  • Jstewartdesigns
    Jstewartdesigns Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I think I'm going to continue to track on both and see what happens. The last two days, tho, I've gone over my points but stayed under my calories. I do agree that it's much easier to see the calories in and the calories expended. Either way . . . THIS TIME I'm going to make it work and change my lifestyle to one that is healthy!! Good luck to you all!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of the same thing. I've done both and had success with both. I think MFP is easier for sure and less gimmicky. What I mean by that is I believe WW did it that way to confuse the issue and create a reliance on their system. MFP is free and you can self-regulate without having to pay someone to tell you how many points something is.
  • hillary124
    hillary124 Posts: 112
    Options
    About three years ago I lost 20 pounds on weight watchers- it really works! Now Im only here to lose those stubborn pounds, and I hate having to pay at weight watchers every week, because my mom used to pay for it but now im in college so shes not here to pay for it :)
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You may want to try a modified version of Weight Watchers PointsPlus that you can use on myfitnesspal: You don't count unsweetened fruits other than juice and non-starchy vegetables as calories since they count on points on Weight Watchers. You would set a calorie goal lower than you would otherwise set. However, by not counting those foods, you're encouraging yourself to eat more of those healthy foods. By getting into the habit of eating fruits and vegetables, you are getting into the habit of eating right. Even after you're no longer counting calories, you'll be eating the right type of foods. This doesn't fully track the Weight Watchers approach: Under Weight Watchers, foods with higher fat content count more in points than a food of the same number of calories with less fat. Also, higher fiber foods has carry slightly less points than foods with less fiber. And Weight Watchers tells you how many points to use.

I just started using Weight Watchers online a few days ago. However, I do miss the much larger food database of myfitnesspal.
  • sam67g
    sam67g Posts: 4
    Options
    I have left WW as I couldn't get on with the pro points, I end up gaining! I prefer the old points system which counted every thing. I have to say I loving MFP, so much easier, just count the calories, as one of the other posts said you can look at the label and a judgement straight a way.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I would never go back to WW, because calorie counting here on such a great tool as MFP is totally FREE!!! Plus I heard our database is better then the WW one!