Natural Remedies and Supplements

Options
I invested in some Bragg's ACV and some oil of oregano with olive leaf oil yesterday and began taking those with a course of supplements that I've also been taking for over a month now: thrice daily whole foods multi-vitamin, fish oil, D3, Calcium, and MSM with glucosamine chondroitin.

The oil of oregano was recommended to me to help with respiratory infections and to boost immunity. The hubs is pretty sick right now, so he and I are both on it, treatment for him (along with his antibiotics) and prevention for me. The ACV also makes claims of being an immunity booster in addition to many other added health benefits including fighting obesity and diabetes. The goal for me is solid health and the prevention of diabetes and cancer. Diabetes and cancer both are all over my family tree and I've got quite a bit to lose before I step out of the danger zone for diabetes, and even then it's still possible I could get it.

I do realize that the only way for us become healthy is by eating the proper foods and exercising regularly. I am doing that to the best of my ability, but I also realize that an American diet is deprived of much needed nutrients simply due to general food processing. MSM (used for bone & joint health) is almost completely absent from foods due to processing because it's water soluble and goes right down the drain or up in steam when we wash and cook that cauliflower or cabbage.

We Americans have so much out of whack for us in terms of body chemistry, I just don't know where to begin to try to set things right. It seems that an essential oil that attacks free-radicals might be beneficial for a while, or changing deodorants so that heavy metals aren't being introduced into my system through the skin. Or maybe taking ACV for a season and seeing if it helps me to feel better and maintain a healthy lifestyle change. I'm not really sure. It feels like I'm shooting out in the dark. I know that some of the changes I'm making are the right ones: the decision to be accountable for what I feed my body and how I train my body. But then there are so many other questions behind that decision. Some of you choose to take protein shakes. Some of you eat only RAW food. Some of you eat no animal products whatsoever, and some eat mostly meat and no carbs.

Writing this leads me to believe that I should just discuss all of these questions with a dietitian. But then, won't one dietitian differ in opinion from the next? What does one's body completely need for optimal health? Give me some grace here. I'm early in on this road, and feel like I'm fumbling around trying to find the best answers that will lead me (and my family) to the best health. Thanks for any and all answers! I really appreciate it!

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Talking to a dietitian is definitly an idea if you are concerned about the nutrition you are getting. For natural remedies for illness I would suggest a naturopath, mine has helped me tremendously when my regular dr couldn't solve the issue and just kept throwing pills at me to control symptoms not the root of the problem.
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks. Will look into that. I guess I'll have to see if insurance covers things like that.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know my extended medical insurance covered 200$ a year in service (not product) for naturopath, but it's been worth it for me.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Bump