I need some muscle advice/ encouragement!

Options
So I've been working my abs a lot more and I think that it's working to get me some more ab muscle. However it's underneath and pushing out a layer of pudge, making me look like I've gained weight instead of losing it. I'm hoping that this is a temporary thing and that my muscle will help me boost my metabolism which will help burn calories and then it's only a matter of weeks until that layer comes off. Does anyone else experience this? Any suggestions in terms of reps/sets to have leaner instead of bulkier results?

Thank you!

Replies

• carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The only true way to make your abs show is by leaning out, you cant spot reduce fat, so lowering your body fat % overall is the only way to do it!! I've read the female body needs to be at 18% for abs to show, dont know if thats true....
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. Was steady with Ab Ripper X for about 4 months and it seemed like my belly was rounding out. As I lost more fat percentage though, the obliques were started to cave in and a couple of weeks later a 2pac. Pun intended. Now it's up to four defined. I've slowed on the Ab X to 2 days a week since then. It's the last bit at the bottom that's really nasty to define; still pokes my shirt out a little. As they say, you are your own worst critic....no one else notices the poking out but me. It will come for sure just keep at it.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yup. You have to reduce your body fat.
  • Vegetables_are_fun
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everybody!