From a personal Trainer: Sleep more, lose fat

Options
The results are in; sleeping will make you burn more fat.  

As a personal trainer, I'm constantly bombarded by theories on how to lose weight and so far, every program I have heard of is incomplete. It's easy to watch weight-loss shows and think the whole process is about calories in vs. calories out...or fat vs. carb...or zone vs. percentage...but what happens when you're eating 800 calories a day, working out for two hoursa a day and still not losing fat?

This question is what drives me to study problematic weight loss.  

According to a 2010 study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine (a medical journal), people who slept 8.5 hours a night lost 55% more fat than those who slept 5.5 hours. That's more than double the amount of weight loss simply by adding 3 hours of sleep a night. So think about it...if you lost 15 pounds last month and only slept an average of 5 hours a night, you could have lost close to 25.

Since we know that muscle helps keep your fat-burning metabolism high, it's important to note the study shows a 60% decrease in muscle in the 5.5 hour a night group! so if you have ever caught yourself in a cycle of "starve myself to lose weight" and then gained it back immediately after you returned to normal eating, this can be a contributor.

So lets get smarter about weight loss! Less sleep (or repeatedly bad sleep) will decrease your metabolism and dramatically slow your fat loss...no bull..it's just science

Check out my next blog for tips on getting the type of sleep that helps with fat loss.

Check ou tthe study here:
http://www.annals.org/content/153/435.abstract?aimhp

Thanks!
Nate 

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I agree sleep is important.

Not sure losing 40 pounds in a month is a good idea, but I agree with your basic premise.

I had about a year where I wasn't getting more than five hours a night, for most of the year. I put on 20 pounds.

I went back to getting enough sleep (7-9 hrs) and lost the weight, and was able to better handle stress - another roadblock to weight-loss success.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with 40 lbs either, just a number to illustrate a point :-)
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    I'll take 40lbs in a month! lol
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'll take 40lbs in a month! lol
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Shoot, I'd take 40 pounds in 3 months! :wink:
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    LOVE SLEEP!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I think that person might have amputated a leg ;) But as a gal who loves her sleep, I really hope there is something to this!
  • xx_donna_xx
    xx_donna_xx Posts: 144
    Options
    I'd love to be able to get 8 hours sleep a night but my baby doesn't agree & hes nearly 2 :((
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Natural Vitality's Naturally Calm supplement is really helpful for me. It is basically magnesium citrate, which a lot of people lack. I saw it discussed on a little web short about how to get better sleep (it was a problem for me), and so I ordered some online (the lemon-raspberry flavor). I really like it, and it seems to have done the trick. I sleep deeply now, about 7 to 8 hours a night. If you have kidney problems or are on any meds, I would recommend talking to your dr about the supplement first, and don't take too much (mainly because it acts as a laxative when you do!). But if you are suffering from insomnia, it might be just the thing for you!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to sleep more.... and I mean that irregardless of any weight loss benefits :(

thanks for sharing!!
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this!!! :smile:
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    any recommendations on how to sleep better? i go to bed at 9PM every night (usually takes me about 15-20 minutes to fall asleep) but i have noticed that i wake up almost 5-10 times a night (length of time varies). i never get a solid night's sleep. any suggestions???
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options

According to a 2010 study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine (a medical journal), people who slept 8.5 hours a night lost 55% more fat than those who slept 5.5 hours. That's more than double the amount of weight loss simply by adding 3 hours of sleep a night. So think about it...if you lost 15 pounds last month and only slept an average of 5 hours a night, you could have lost close to 40.

I see your point but as someone who does math a lot I have to tell you that when they say "55%" more they mean take 55% of the original number and then add it to the original number.

So if you lost 15 pounds last month and only slept an average 5 hours a night you could have lost close to . . . NOT 40 (which would be 155% more) but . . .

15 x 0.55 = 8.25 (55% of 15)

So to lose 55% more you would lose 15 + 8.25 = 23.25 lbs

23.25lbs

That said . . . I'd take the 15lbs :laugh: :laugh:
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...I sleep horribly...I have never slept a whole night through...I bet I would feel amazing the next morning if I ever did.. :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Adding 55% more to the 15lbs is adding 8.25lbs or 23.5lbs not 40lbs.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    any recommendations on how to sleep better? i go to bed at 9PM every night (usually takes me about 15-20 minutes to fall asleep) but i have noticed that i wake up almost 5-10 times a night (length of time varies). i never get a solid night's sleep. any suggestions???

Go to bed later. Most likely you're not *that* tired at 9pm. If you're a napper, cut that out as well. Stress is a major contributor as well - I sleep much better these days now I don't really give a crap what other people do or think, than when I was more concerned about how people looked at me and how people acted towards me. A milky drink before bed helps, as does getting used to some kind of pattern before bed - whether that be putting on your PJs and brushing your teeth or reading a book. Avoid using your bed for anything other than sex and sleep as well, so your body assosciates it with sleep more strongly.
  • windybaer
    windybaer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'll write on hiw ti get better sleep in a day or so :-) it's more intricate than you think.
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Mmmm sleep... I like sleep. Now I have an excuse for getting more. Thanks. ;)
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    great! i wake up every day at 5AM for work, so i try to get to sleep earlier so i'm not so tired. i do stress a lot (work.. not as much as i used to though!), and i never nap anymore. i'm very intrigued in learning better practices for sleeping!
  • Shellyyy7928
    Shellyyy7928 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So who's volunteering to watch my child so I can get more than five hours lol