What foods have you "discovered"?

Options
While changing your lifestyle? For example, yesterday I had a very strong cravings for two things I didn't even eat three years ago:

asparagus. (roasted for 10 minutes at 425 with a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.)

and

almond butter. (with an apple. . .my new favorite "treat")

Has anyone else "discovered" new favorite foods?

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    While changing your lifestyle? For example, yesterday I had a very strong cravings for two things I didn't even eat three years ago:

asparagus. (roasted for 10 minutes at 425 with a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.)

and

almond butter. (with an apple. . .my new favorite "treat")

Has anyone else "discovered" new favorite foods?
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Toasted whole wheat pita bread w/ lowfat cottage cheese & tomato slices :smile:
  • nikiholm
    nikiholm Posts: 19
    Options
    Apples dipped in all natural peanut butter w/honey. I wouldn't touch all natural PB before...the oil freaked me out. It is soooo good now. :happy:
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    pita bread dipped in lemon dill hummus.....:bigsmile:
    yummy

j~
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Edamame for a snack-

Serving Size 1/2 cup

Amount per serving
    Calories 100 Calories from Fat 25

Hide Daily Values % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 3g 5%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 260mg 11%
    Total Carbohydrates 9g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 4g
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 8g

Vitamin A 9% Vitamin C 9%
    Calcium 5% Iron 9%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Mixed greens with sliced strawberries & Raspberry vinaigrette (helps satisfy my sweet tooth & hunger)

Fat Free Cottage cheese & chopped tomato with ground pepper

Trader Joe's Alfredo sauce with spinach & chive pasta - I fry up garlic & mushrooms & mix with the sauce... Add shrimp & have an outstanding dinner for a little more than 400 calories per 1-1/2 cups.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Spinach... I never tried it before... but now I have it in some form almost everyday- in salads, pasta dishes, soups, on pizza, possibilities are endless.
  • cobra1368
    cobra1368 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My sweet potatoes with rosemary, cayenne pepper and sea salt.

Also, I love a spinach salad with strawberries, pecans and raspberry viniagrette.

I am all about whole wheat pita and hummus, and also love me some couscous!

I've always been a sashimi lover, so that isn't really new.

Mackerel! I never really ate mackerel until reading about how high in omega 3s it is. Then I looked up a recipe for Moroccan mackerel, and it is so yummy!
  • myebinger
    myebinger Posts: 25
    Options
    Spinage and Strawberry salad

Theres a really great recipe for it on Allrecipes.com
  • sohollywood022
    Options
    Egg white omlet with bell peppers and onions. So yummy.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have been trying all sorts of new ingredients. For example, today I bought flax oil and nutritional yeast. I have some recipes from a library cookbook that calls for them.

Other things I have discovered:
    Almond butter
    cashew butter
    apple butter
    fruit leather (strawberry, yum!)
    Tahini (sesame butter)
    flax meal
    safflower oil
    organic, healthy "junk food" from the health food store
    quinoa (a grain)
    polenta (cornmeal mush, an Italian side dish)
    vegan mayo

And there are probably more! I must seem like a dork, but I did not know any of this existed before a few months ago!

This summer my hubby is planting a garden with some veggies that we have never eaten before. Eggplant, leeks, and some other things. I will be googling recipes when they are ready to eat!
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    avacados and lemon pepper chicken lean cuisines
  • HannahRoo
    HannahRoo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    laughing cow lite french onion cheese wedges; wasa crackers; progresso lite soups
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Grilled/Roasted veggies - usually served with polenta or ww couscous - eat about once a week + leftovers. End up with like 11 servings of fruits and veggies those days.

Soy yogurt - doesn't have that weird smell that normal yogurt does

Baked tofu

Spring rolls

Lettuce wraps from PF changs

Kale, Broccolini, & Napa cabbage

Quinoa flakes - if you haven't tried these, you must go find them, 1/3 of a cup has 130 calories and fills a bowl
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    Broccoli. I never really thought about it since I don't like it raw, but I loved it steamed and also grilled.

Also, cauliflower. I never liked it, but I loooooved mashed cauliflower. I had some friends over for dinner and made if for them and one of them said "ooh, what kind of potatoes are these? I really like this!" She said that she didn't like cauliflower either, but I converted her too.

Finally, wheat bread. I never really loved it, but would eat it if I had to, but now I can't even look at white bread.
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    -Melba snacks
    -Normand Blend frozen vegetables from Walmart- sauteed in a non stick pan with fresh minced garlic, some butter spray, and some kickin chicken seasoning.
    -Sweet potatoes roasted with olive oil and cinnamon, or salt & pepper
    -100 calorie ice cream sandwhiches
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    -Melba snacks
    -Normand Blend frozen vegetables from Walmart- sauteed in a non stick pan with fresh minced garlic, some butter spray, and some kickin chicken seasoning.
    -Sweet potatoes roasted with olive oil and cinnamon, or salt & pepper
    -100 calorie ice cream sandwhiches

I recently discovered melba snacks too. I love the garlic and rye flavors!! Put a little roasted red pepper hummus on them! MMMM!!!!!! Sweet potatoes are a staple of mine now too.
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    boca burgers! the "flame broiled" ones taste just like a hamburger to me but have about 1/2 to 1/3 the calories! So good!

And, cottage cheese. I eat 1/2 cup in the morning for breakfast along with some fruit (usually citrus) and it keeps me going through to lunch.

Sherry mushrooms, taste decadent but you can eat A LOT of them for not many calories!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    boca burgers! the "flame broiled" ones taste just like a hamburger to me but have about 1/2 to 1/3 the calories! So good!

And, cottage cheese. I eat 1/2 cup in the morning for breakfast along with some fruit (usually citrus) and it keeps me going through to lunch.

Sherry mushrooms, taste decadent but you can eat A LOT of them for not many calories!

I like the boca burgers too. I recently made a healthier "patty melt" using that flame broiled boca burger, light rye bread, 2% swiss cheese slice and a few sauteed onions. It turned out great and hit the spot!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Joseph's pita's and flat bread.
    Avacado, tomatoe salad with goat cheese.
    Mexican Cavier and hummus with melba toast.