Trouble with Constipation since I started eating clean.

Options
Has anyone else experienced this? I did a 180 in my eating habits almost 2 weeks ago. Carb/fat loaded diet to whole grains, lean proteins and fresh fruits and vegetables. I've been a bit of a mess since then. Is this normal because it has me worried...and a bit discouraged. I've lost 13 pounds and I can't tell. My pants are tighter than they were when I first started! I've tried OTC remedies, nothing is truly helping. I'm considering a semi-fasting day...water and fruits only to see if that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I changed my eating habits about a month ago, and I'm having a somewhat similar result; I used to have diarrhea every day, and now I'm more normal. A healthier diet definitely firms up more than just your body...lol. How is your water intake? I know that can be a factor. I'm sure it is very discouraging to be going through, but I'm willing to bet when it is sorted out that you'll feel a million times better! Just be sure to consult your doctor if needed. This can cause some major issues if allowed to go too long. Good luck!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! My water intake is over 8 cups a day...I'm just so glad to hear things can return to normal.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Have you been tracking your fiber? Fiber rich foods will help - apples, broccoli, legumes, etc. If all else fails, try drinking a cup of black coffee!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Good for you that you are eating healthier. Make sure your fiber intake is good. Maybe even more water while your body figures out what to do with all this new food. More oil can help. Good oils like nut oils, olive oils, avocados etc can help too. I think switching foods can also cause more gas that along with constipation will lead to bloating.

If nothing else gets you moving try a dose of mirilax. It isn't overly harsh. Once you get things working right a lot of the bloating should get under control too.
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    no i've had the opposite affect of eating clean and more healthy much more 'regular' than i was lol
    try adding more fibre into your diet i usually start my day with a bowl of branflakes i ind is great.
    have you tried prune juice?? i ind it amazing for constipation
  • amandalfraser
    amandalfraser Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Walking walking and more walking. Even if it's in a mall, and if you feel the need even one bit, do not ignore it! It took me about 2 weeks to feel normal when I changed my eating habits.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I tend to find I experience this with any change in my eating. It happens without fail when I go to my mum's for a stay, due to eating out a lot and richer food. I now just have a glass of prune juice or some prunes each evening before bed, and it really works for me. Not had an issue since and not gained weight from it, even when I sometimes ate half a kilo an evening, lol.
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Same here! I started eating clean mid December and now I go twice per week if Im lucky. Ive lost just under 1 stone, not a huge amount. The bulk of my diet is vegetables. I walk loads, drink black coffee or water, yet still I suffer with constipation!!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Most people are constipated because they're too busy to be regular. Also, any change in your daily habits can affect your bowels, because you "go" when your brain-bowel neurological connections are trained to expect it. If you usually went after a big meal and now you're eating frequent small meals, you may need to retrain your brain. If you're stuffing your fitness routine into a busy schedule, that can do it, too.

Pick a time of day when it is convenient to go, and when you can reasonably expect not to be interrupted. After a meal is good, because your bowels naturally start moving when more food is coming (gastro-colic reflex). Go sit in the bathroom for a while whether you feel the need or not. Maybe bring something to read that you don't read any other time of the day. Have a big glass of pulpy juice at that meal (prune juice, apricot nectar, unfiltered apple cider, etc.) After a while, your bowels will start getting the idea. Then you won't be able to read that particular type of literature without getting the urge, so choose your reading material wisely. :laugh:
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    peppermint tea is also good at helping the bowels move

I still swear by prune juice though :-)
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I dealt with constipation for YEARS until I recently started drinking a protein shake in the morning. Not entirely sure if that's what really helped but I'm sticking with it because I haven't had an issue since then. Hopefully it will work itself out for you! I know how awful that can be!!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to help me! I'm going to try the tea and up the fiber, keep walking and see where it goes. I'm happy to know it's not just me.
  • Zara150
    Zara150 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do a workout! Moving and moving FAST will help you! I do insanity and I eat everything, fiber protein vitamins, I have bowel movement 2 or even 3 times a day!!
  • MommyLyssa
    MommyLyssa Posts: 134
    Options
    I actually struggle with the same thing. When eating cleaner, I go much less often (and sometimes hurt- but not all the time). But, when I eat junk, I have a nice, healthy looking BM 1-2x a day. It is crazy...(I eat lots of fiber and drink close to 2 gallons a day, so it isn't either of those). It is so weird.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Everybody is different and the change of diet even if for only a couple of days will make a change in your bowel habits.

If you are feeling `bunged up` it is an awful feeling so take a laxative..a mild one maybe senokot (not sure if thats the spelling.

I have been in this same boat and it is an awful feeling.

I eat a good balance most days then a few days I eat high protein for a couple of days...works for me losing weight

I used to suffer from `ulcerative colitis` not had it since I have sorted out my eating habits.

I am not promoting laxatives, but if you feel that you are struggling and you are eating healthily then it won`t hurt to buy an over the counter laxative to get things moving :-) But make sure you drink lots of water also to replenish those elctrolytes
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Senna isn't mild, just because it's herbal. It's a stimulant and can cause laxative dependence.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fat in your diet? If I don't get enough fat, I am a mess. Also, it does take your body a little while to adjust to such a change. Try drinking some hot water in the morning (I would guess tea would work too) or coffee (coffee almost always gets things going for me). If all else fails, I drink some fiber.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    An insoluable fiber supplement (something with psyllium husk is great) will help. Also make sure that you have an excellent probiotic as it will help with the gas. Don't be afraid of farting - it helps to relieve the gas. I know are taught that passing gas is "bad", but really a normal adult should pass gas about 14-20 times per day.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Aww yeah.
    Try eating sunflower seeds, ground flaxseed, and drinking green tea. I also eat a huge bowl of veggies at dinner, which seems to give me a movement in the morning. Plenty of water too.

Good luck!!
  • mlpullett
    Options
    Try eating some fiber one bars. Just make sure that you drink plently of water and plenty of fiber. We also tell our patients to try something over the counter like colace or Miralax. This will help.