Its just not happening!!

Options
Ok. So, I have been on MFP for a month now. I also started New Rules of Lifting For Women. I do my cardio, lifting and 99% of the time stay under my calories, eating 5-6 small meals a day. My problem is.. I weighed myself two days ago, and I have not lost anything. Knowing I wouldn't lose a bunch of weight in the first month, I would have thought I would lose atleast 2 lbs in that month. I am at the point where I feel like a failure and I am ready to quit. If no weight loss, no motivation.
I guess I am just trying to see if anybody has any ideas or any insight as to why I may not be experiencing any changes. Figured I would try this before quitting.

Help me, please!!!???

Replies

• AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    it could be possible you aren't eating enough. If you are not eating enough your body won't work right. This is probably one of the biggest mistakes people make is not eating enough. Also take some measurements, sometimes the scale will not show anything but measurements will show that you have lost a few inches. Don't get discouraged, keep working hard and make small adjustments and see what the result is.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary we might be able to get a better idea. Maybe you aren't eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing.
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.. I will open my diary for you :)
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question!!! I'm in a similar spot....I stay at my calories, exercise six days a week and feel great. The first two weeks I dropped 8 pounds quick, but now nothing in 3 weeks :frown:

I've heard all the "don't focus on the scale" and "eat all your calories" buts it's still so very discouraging when you don't SEE the results you hope for.

I WON'T quit because I feel so good and in control, I'll just keep reding these posts and hope something will click.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    The first thing I see right away is sodium, that'll make you retain water like crazy, or at least for me it does. If I go over my sodium I try to drink LOTS of water to balance it out.
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well I looked back through you diary for a couple of weeks and there were probably 5ish days where you went over in calories or sodium, which may be stalling your weight loss. T

here were also quite a few days where you either didn't complete your logging (you didn't log anything after lunch), or you logged nothing at all. I noticed that a few of these days were Saturdays, which a day where a lot of people tend to indulge. There is no way for me to judge whether or not you stuck to your goal on these days, but if you didn't, that would also be stalling your weight loss.

On another note, I noticed you make good choices in the types and amounts of food that you eat, so good job!!
  • rwa3457986
    Options
    Measure yourself! You may not be losing lbs but inches instead. I lost 30lbs my first month, and then NOTHING in february. Now the past two weeks i've dropped 6lbs. It takes your body awhile to adjust to something new. Make sure you eat your calories :) Rose
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    first thing i would suggest is upping your protein - i believe mine is set @ 30% - i dont always reach that goal, but i always shoot for at least 100g - (0.4 grams per lb you weigh is the calculation i used, i believe)
    the only other thing i can see would be the eating out/high sodium. do you log all of your water? on days you go over sodium its a good idea to drink more water. ive also found that tracking potassium has helped me...it helps balance out the sodium (but admittedly its harder to track because its not required on food labels).
    how do you get your calorie burns? do you use MFPs numbers or do you have a HRM? if so, do you use the HRM for your lifting sessions? also take measurements! the first month of lifting i only lost like 6 lbs, but close to 10 inches overall..
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Here's my suggestions.

Don't just focus on that *magical* number at the end. Focus on putting in good fuel as opposed to bad fuel.

You need to more fresh fruits and veggies and more protein. Limit calories from stuff like junk foods/coffees/treats. I would try taking a multivitamin too to ensure your body is getting its daily allowances of vitamins and minerals.

Watch your sodium and I would slow down on water it can be harmful if you drink too much. If your urine has no color you are drinking too much water, slow down .
  • GingerJoScott
    Options
    You may need to SHOCK your body if you are always doing the same exercises in the same heart rate range. I would suggest High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT. What this does is shock your body OUT of the regular mode it is existing in, in regards to oxygen burn. Try getting your heart rate into the 80-90% range of your max for one minute, then rest until you catch your breath while your heart rate comes back down. Then do this repeatedly. This is a highly intense exercise and should only be done for no more than 10 -20 minutes. Your body's WHOLE ability to burn oxygen will increase over time. What burns fat? Oxygen! Ramp it up one day a week and see if you can't SHOCK that fat off! You go girl! Crank it up! DO NOT QUIT!
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    it could be possible you aren't eating enough. If you are not eating enough your body won't work right. This is probably one of the biggest mistakes people make is not eating enough. Also take some measurements, sometimes the scale will not show anything but measurements will show that you have lost a few inches. Don't get discouraged, keep working hard and make small adjustments and see what the result is.

TOTALLY AGREE
    I was being so careful with my calories....never over, often under 1200....and just couldn't shake any more weight until my gym owner said to up the calories. I raised it to 1550-1600 and the weight began to disappear virtually overnight.
    So now I eat more, exercise regularly, I am working on strength and toning.....lots of loose skin theses days......
    I have a day here and there of even higher calorie intake followed by a day or two of 1200 cal and I find I am still losing very gradually (I don't really have much more to go)
    Our bodies are very good at adjusting....the less fuel we give them the slower our metabolisms become....a very nasty CATCH 22....so feed your body well, burn enough calories and in doing this you will increase your metabolism and your body will start working for you.
  • rocsings
    rocsings Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm not sure if you were ready for all the feedback. Sometimes it can be very overwhelming. The key factor in your concern is that you were on medication, which has been left out of the entire equation. May I suggest if you have a family doctor, make an appt with your doctor's nutritionist. We are going to give you advice based on little to know real facts of your lifestyle and/or health. I am telling you this because I consulted with my doctor and he suggested what I need to increase and what I needed to increase. Although you may stay within your calories, you may not be making the most helpful choices for weight loss. Do yourself a favor and seek the assistance of your doctor or if you know a nutritionist you may speak with about your eating habits, please do!! I will pray that you find your niche and the pounds just melt away (SMILE) ... take care!!
  • karie_richardson
    karie_richardson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your meals are processed, salty and full of way to many carbs (not advocating a low carb diet). Try to eat lower sodium, smaller meals (smaller calories) and stay away from processed foods which include any prepared diet junk. I also notice you drink soy milk and eat soy products...contrary to popular belief soy is not a diet food. It saps the metabolism by hindering natural thyroid function as well as depletes the body of nutrients. Soy alone can devastate a diet if you have even a small thyroid problem (known or unknown). Stay in your calorie limit. That's my two cents hope it helps.
  • bubbles1212
    Options
    Thank you so much to all of you!!!! I did just measure myself... it turns out I have lost about 6 inches over my body. Also, I looked at my diary as well, and I did notice all of the comments you were saying were true. I will try to track better and lower my sodium. I do drink about 120 oz of water per day. Is that enough? With the calories I consume.. new rules of weight lifting says I should be eating about 1970 kcal on non workout days. My diary gives me 1730, I feel guilty if I go over what my tracker says.. is there a way to change my tracker to the amount I am supposed to eat for lifting?
    As far as my calories burned... I usualy use my hrm. I did not start tracking my lifting sessions with my hrm til about a day or two ago. I believe I can make it now, with all of your advise. Thank you again!!!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to all of you!!!! I did just measure myself... it turns out I have lost about 6 inches over my body. Also, I looked at my diary as well, and I did notice all of the comments you were saying were true. I will try to track better and lower my sodium. I do drink about 120 oz of water per day. Is that enough? With the calories I consume.. new rules of weight lifting says I should be eating about 1970 kcal on non workout days. My diary gives me 1730, I feel guilty if I go over what my tracker says.. is there a way to change my tracker to the amount I am supposed to eat for lifting?
    As far as my calories burned... I usualy use my hrm. I did not start tracking my lifting sessions with my hrm til about a day or two ago. I believe I can make it now, with all of your advise. Thank you again!!!
    Home>Goals>Change Goals>Custom/Continue and youll be able to change your calories and protein/carbs/fat there.
    also - i wouldnt recommend using your HRM for lifting, they are made for aerobic workouts, and though your heart rate will rise while lifting, its not for the same reasons so HRM will not be as accurate for that. just search for Strength Training under the cadio section and enter the time you spent lifting, ive found those numbers to be fairly reasonable.
  • bubbles1212
    Options
    Your meals are processed, salty and full of way to many carbs (not advocating a low carb diet). Try to eat lower sodium, smaller meals (smaller calories) and stay away from processed foods which include any prepared diet junk. I also notice you drink soy milk and eat soy products...contrary to popular belief soy is not a diet food. It saps the metabolism by hindering natural thyroid function as well as depletes the body of nutrients. Soy alone can devastate a diet if you have even a small thyroid problem (known or unknown). Stay in your calorie limit. That's my two cents hope it helps.

I do have thyroid issues.. I only have half of mine. Tank you for the input on that.... I was not aware!
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Excellent!!!
    Suggested daily water intake is 8 cups.
    You can alter your goals....go to SETTINGS then to GOALS. here you can adjust your daily allowances.

and the most important advise......BELIEVE IN YOURSELF......
  • fels123
    fels123 Posts: 44
    Options
    Suggestions:

Calorie cycle. Eat higher calories on a couple of days of the weak and much lower calories on the other days. For instance, I'd try something like http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm then go with the 7 day cycle.

Eat healthily. You're eating junk food and just because it's lower calorie you think that's ok. It's not. You need at least 5 a day fruit and veg, minimum, less coffee, and that processed food has to go.

Log EVERYTHING. That little snack you had of a small chocolate bar, the biscuit you ate, the nibble of cake? It ALL has to go on your diary to give an accurate idea of the number of calories you're eating.

Treat days should be an exception, saved only for when you really need them, not a twice a week thing where you feel you've deserved it for sticking to your goal for the last 2 days. They bring your weekly calories up way higher and that will destroy your weight loss.

People who lose weight and keep it off tend to eat a lot of fruit and veg, do some cardio, and barely eat any processed food. I know it's hard to make time to make food from scratch but if it's important to you you will make the time. If not, feel free to quit right now and go back to being. They also usually do some cardio as well as weights. Crucially, they eat less. Personally I've found 1200ish a day works for me but my starting weight is probably lower than yours so you might want to try around 1500. If you're eating healthily this will be a lot easier-it's actually quite hard work to get over 1500 cals a day on healthy food.

Good luck!
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Do not despair! I didn't lose anything my first month either, but I lost six pounds my second month! For some reason, the weight doesn't want to come off that first month. But it will show, I promise. Good for you on the exercise, because that is going to help you lose. I took before pictures too, which is nice, because you can compare. Also, take measurements, you will see a difference much quicker with measurements. I lost three inches on my waist and three on my hips.

You can do this!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Do not despair! I didn't lose anything my first month either, but I lost six pounds my second month! For some reason, the weight doesn't want to come off that first month. But it will show, I promise. Good for you on the exercise, because that is going to help you lose. I took before pictures too, which is nice, because you can compare. Also, take measurements, you will see a difference much quicker with measurements. I lost three inches on my waist and three on my hips.

You can do this!

^^^^THIS!!!!! pics and measurements will motivate you when the scale isn't moving! Quitting is NOT an option, get that outta your head :D You can do this, just stick with it!