How do you make your own fries?

Options
Do you use a baked potato or sweet potato? And you use a olive oil spray?

Replies

• housegirl2
    housegirl2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use red skinned new potatoes or sweet potatoes or yams and oven fry them.They are a bit healthier than regular baking potatoes. I bought an oil sprayer to add my own extra virgin olive oil or canola oil rather than buy one of the aerosol cans of oil. What is also really good is to roast other veggies in a similar way and throw in some potato slices at the same time. Onions, garlic peppers broccoli, brussels sprouts, asparagus, placed on cookie sheet sprayed with oil and roasted for abotu 25 minutes at 400 degrees. The roasting brings out the sweetness in the veggies and crisps them.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I use a russet type of potato, which are the best for this application imo. I deep fry mine and I always use lard.......
  • scoob1983
    scoob1983 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I scrub 6-8 potatoes(usually russet, but sometimes sweet potatoes) well with a vegetable brush, cut out any eyes. After that I cut them into french fries with a knife.Then I stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil into the potatoes. Spread them on a rimmed cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. If I'm in a hurry, I bake at 425-450. If I'm not I cook them at 35-375 until done. Season after baking. Easy! I never buy prepared french fries. These taste so much better!
  • Kateraptor
    Options
    I use both sweet potatoes and white depending on my mood. I was the potato, slice them into wedges/thin fries, drizzle a little olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary and garlic. I bake them at 400-425. So good!
  • KLavallee322
    KLavallee322 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use both sweet potatoes and white depending on my mood. I was the potato, slice them into wedges/thin fries, drizzle a little olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary and garlic. I bake them at 400-425. So good!

I do the same thing and they are delicious! I use a little salt/pepper instead of rosemary & garlic.