question about weight training! :)

Options
Would just doing the machines in the gym be as effective as doing free weights?
I find myself gravitating towards the machines because I feel more comfortable with them and I didn't know how effective they were vs. just lifting free weights!
I would MUCH rather stick with the machines considering I actually know what I am doing on those and what not.
Any advice appreciated, thanks!! :)

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Free weights are much more effective than the machines and utilize more of your available muscle tissue. Take a look at Stronglifts 5X5 for a methodology. The guy's website and the PDF donwload are verbal diarea but the program is great. There is an iPhone app that walks you through it and its easy to use. The program is simple and direct and very easy to follow as well as very effective. Hope this helps. I am not a fan of machines at all.
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lots of people feel that way. Machines are better than lifting no weights at all but the free weights are better for you and more effective because they engage the smaller stabilization muscles and not just the main muscle targeted. There are lots of resources here if you want to learn. I think there is a group for women lifters based on the new rules for weightlifting for women- popular book. Lots of people swear by it. Most people in the gym would be happy to give you a few tips if you ask. Welcome. To the free weight section!:blushing: :bigsmile:
  • brookebelcher
    brookebelcher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thanks so much!
    I guess I fall into the category of being scared of the free weights section because it's literally ALL GUYS. Especially in the rec at my school. It just scares me.. I literally get anxiety even thinking about going in there. Maybe I'll just suck it up after hearing these responses, though.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'll agree - machines are better than nothing, but free weights are better than machines. They make you work harder because you have to use your stabilizing muscles. And with free weights, you can work your whole body in just three or four lifts - it's hard to find a machine that will do that!

About feeling intimidated in the weight area, I completely understand. But give it enough time, and you'll start to feel AWESOME about being the only girl in the free weights section. And after seeing you there, other ladies might feel confident enough to join in too. Good luck!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Machines won't do much for you. Pick up a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Free weights are so much better! Your body doesn't move like the machines are made to move, so you will use a lot more muscles with free weights. I was scared too, but once you go in there and start doing your thing, you will feel so much better. Go in there and do your thing! New Rules Of Lifting For Women is great-just finished it!
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Would just doing the machines in the gym be as effective as doing free weights?
    I find myself gravitating towards the machines because I feel more comfortable with them and I didn't know how effective they were vs. just lifting free weights!
    I would MUCH rather stick with the machines considering I actually know what I am doing on those and what not.
    Any advice appreciated, thanks!! :)

Free weights are much better for building the most muscle.

Machines tend to only focus on one part of the muscle while free weights will exercise the most muscle fibers needed for you to finish a single repetition.

I suggest stay with the free weights as much as you can and do machines after your free weight exercises (if you really have to).
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Machines won't do much for you. Pick up a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

^^^^^ This!! I have just read it, and it smashes so many pre-conceptions us women have with weight lifting. I am defo going to hit the gym and the free weights now! As others have said, machines are better than nothing, but free weights are better.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Free weights are better since you're fighting gravity and burning more calories than you would with just the machines. Using the machines, the moves are easier since there is a pulley system that makes your body work less to lift the weight. Now, that's not to say you should never use them. I use them for lat pulldowns and chest presses and find that to be incredibly effective for my back.

Find a gym with a strength training class and go there to learn how to properly use free weights. They aren't scary, and they're a lot of fun when you find the exercises you enjoy. Plus it's a great way to take out stress - lifting a heavy dumbell whilst thinking of something stupid a co-worker said during the day really helps, I find, haha.
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Can you get some time w a trainer to show you some exercises you can do w free weights? That way you have a plan when you get there and maybe less anxiety provoking.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Machines balance the weight for you, free weights force you to balance the weight working more muscle fibers... I'd go with free weights or a combo of both.
  • my2boiz
    my2boiz Posts: 89
    Options
    wow! I had no idea. I've always used to machines. I will def be going to the free weights now, but like a couple people mentioned... its all men in there. Big, bulky, I don't want to stand to close because i'll look stupid, men. :)
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Ask one of the guys if he can give you tips... you could learn something.
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had huge anxiety about the free weights section too. But once I finally got the courage to go over there and started doing my own thing, it wasn't bad at all. Just focus on your workout and you'll forget those guys are even there.