7-Keto

Options
Is anyone familiar with the 7-Keto supplement? Some ladies at work were talking about it today at lunch and I was curious. They said that it boost metabolism and thyroid. If anyone knows anything about this, let me know.

Thanks!

Replies

• melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I too, would like to find out what I can about this... I hear its not available in Canada or something either..
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz talked about this supplement yesterday on his show. It is used to help boost metabolism and help you lose weight. He says it's safe 100mg in the AM and 100mg in the PM

http://www.nowfoods.com/M045460.htm

I'm willing to try it.
  • pounce73
    Options
    I watched Dr. Oz yesterday and the stuff he said made sense, then I went and researched it. Quite a few side effects from what I found hair growth for woman, temperant change and a recommended dose is only 50 mg 25 in the morning and 25 in the evening. After reading this information I decided I am better off with B12. If you do try it I hope you have sucess
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anything on this yet outside of Dr. Oz, but I'll see if there's any peer reviewed studies on it that don't occur strictly on rats.

In the mean-time, I would very highly recommend not taking anything Dr. Oz says about nutrition as being good advice.

So far his track record is horsesh*t.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    So far his track record is horsesh*t.

Why do you have to insult the horses poo like that? What did it ever do to you?
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Why do you have to insult the horses poo like that? What did it ever do to you?

Well played.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The studies on it in humans seem to be mixed, this is one of the longer studies, but only 50 mg a day

Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone supplementation on bone mineral density, bone markers, and body composition in older adults
    the DAWN trial. Osteoporos Int. 2008 May; 19(5): 699–707.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2435090/?tool=pubmed
    Body composition
    Body composition, whether assessed by BMI, total fat mass, abdominal fat mass, lean body mass, lean/fat index, or waist to hip ratio, was not affected by DHEA treatment in either sex (data not shown).
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    The studies on it in humans seem to be mixed, this is one of the longer studies, but only 50 mg a day

Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone supplementation on bone mineral density, bone markers, and body composition in older adults
    the DAWN trial. Osteoporos Int. 2008 May; 19(5): 699–707.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2435090/?tool=pubmed
    Body composition
    Body composition, whether assessed by BMI, total fat mass, abdominal fat mass, lean body mass, lean/fat index, or waist to hip ratio, was not affected by DHEA treatment in either sex (data not shown).

Acg FTW. Thanks for the link.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    side effects from what I found hair growth for woman,

I don't need more hair to wax thankyouverymuch...so I won't be trying it then...or I'll wait for more reviews.
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If anyone has tried it please let us know how it goes. I have researched it and want to believe the claims yet there seems to be some question as to the long term affects so I am staying away from it.
    I would love to hear from a real person how they thought it worked.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    WEB MD:
    7-keto-DHEA is a by-product of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), a chemical that is formed in the body. DHEA is a "parent hormone" produced by glands near the kidneys. But unlike DHEA, 7-keto-DHEA is not converted to steroid hormones such as androgen and estrogen. Taking 7-keto-DHEA by mouth or applying it to the skin does not increase the level of steroid hormones in the blood.
    There isn't enough information available to know if 7-keto-DHEA is safe for use

I also read a study that says it can take up to two months for it to start working, I just started taking it myself.......we'll see.

My thyroid has been tested and it is extremely low, however......it's still considered within range so that can't give me anything.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just started this also.
    Since I'm in my late 40s so I think this would be safer than DHEA.
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i want to start taking this but have read mixed reviews. Any updates from people using it??
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    UPDATE:.

I have been taking 7 Keto for 3 months now.
    This plus probiotics, plus Forskolin, plus Multivitamin, plus eating healthy and exercising together have given me my overall results. I have lost 16 pounds total, but i still cannot contribute it to ONE thing.

None the less, it may not be directly benefitting me or contributing to my weight loss, but it is certainly not harming me.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    did nothing for me
  • koyongi
    koyongi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    FWIW, if you do any sports where you'll get drug tested, stay away.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    FWIW, if you do any sports where you'll get drug tested, stay away.

Really? Why is that? Is it just the levels of the DHEA?
    I'm not into sports or anything but curious as to why that would happen.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    7-keto-DHEA is a by-product of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), a chemical that is formed in the body. DHEA is a "parent hormone" produced by glands near the kidneys. But unlike DHEA, 7-keto-DHEA is not converted to steroid hormones such as androgen and estrogen. Taking 7-keto-DHEA by mouth or applying it to the skin does not increase the level of steroid hormones in the blood.

People take 7-keto-DHEA to speed up the metabolism and heat production to promote weight loss. 7-keto-DHEA is also used to improve lean body mass and build muscle, increase the activity of the thyroid gland, boost the immune system, enhance memory, and slow aging.

I would be weary about taking this supplement for more than 3 months.. I believe it is considered a steriod . Long term use is not advised
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    My mom tried it. She did weight watchers for 2 months, one month of weight watchers WITH 7-keto, followed by 2 more months of weight watchers without the 7-keto. She didn't lose anymore weight with the 7-keto and she did doing weight watchers alone. It doesn't appear to work (not just going off her experience but other things I've read on the web) and there is a chance it could harm your body, so why bother then?
  • 1browngirl
    1browngirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Saw this last week on a repeat of Dr. Oz. I usually don't watch his show but stopped to watch after he mentioned forskolin. I googled and read about the side effects which I was surprised Dr. Oz didn't mention. I wanted to try both 7 Keto & Foskolin but not sure if the good would outweigh the bad.