Need input (work/life)

Options
Sorry, Long. But, has to be in order to explain...

I added this under Motivation and Support because it's not really chit chat. I need some input and maybe a little gut check. It's easy to ask these kinds of questions because I don't know anyone personally. :cry: Myabe, someday.

Anyway, here's the deal. Over the past 3 or 4 years, my life has gone through some pretty extensive changes. The biggest two things were my divorce and my mother dying. But, there have kind of been other smaller issues too. Fortunately, none of it is health related for me. So, it's just emotional things.

At work, I've been really moving through, and doing great. I was up for a huge promotion; this would have been pretty big for me, and I was stoked. In fact, it was almost like it was to be handed to me. It was right up my alley, I was perfect for it, and it would have meant a lot more money and prestige as well as recognition for all my efforts over the past 14 years or so. However, I didn't get it. So, there's a small part of me that was very disappointed in several ways. 1) I was disappointed in myself that I didn't dazzle them, I mean, I really want to be known for being great at what I do and that greatness be recognized. It's important to me. But, also 2) I was disappointed at the discussion we had about why I wasn't chosen. Keep in mind, I went through 2 rounds of interviews, so I was one of the top 2 or 3 (I don't know how many exactly, I just kow how they work, and it's usually 2 or 3 left to get the the level I got in the interview process). That doesn't count the selection and recommendation process. So, I mean, I did pretty good. But, the discussion really blew the wind out of my sails. It was a really bad week for me. I wanted to quit, but decided that I never quit. I'll hang in there, and keep pushing.

Then, that kind of wore off. Fast forward to this past week. I had been working on several things for a while. Two of the main things I was working on, had huge problems. These problems were basically my fault, for various reasons; either not fully thinking through the process and figuring what needed to be done to avoid these bad things from happening before they happen, or just not engaged enough and not communicating enough with others to really have a tight grip on the situation. So, it really is my fault for the failures. And, my boss is not cool at just letting it go. Even though there's nothing more I can say...I admitted I f***ed up, and identified what went wrong and why and how I'll try to not let that happen again, he still keeps asking questions and leaning on me big time, creating unnecessary pressure. Part of it is that he's doing it because it now impacts him, and he's not happy about having to explain this to our GVP and CIO. I understand, but what's done is done. Ya know? Can't keep beating a dead horse.

So, I've been really thinking hard about all this stuff. Part of it is that I just dont' give a s*** anymore. Ten years ago, it would have been different, but now, my perspective has changed. It just doesn't seem that important to me anymore. But, it's just a freaking drama at work; like the world is going to come unglued. The fact is, it's not.

I wrote all of this detail (and I could write more, but I'm trying to spare you and get to the meat) to say that I'm really thinking of having a heart to heart with my boss, and just telling him that we need to reassign some work, I dont want people reporting to me anymore (we have perfectly capable managers in our area that can take them), and I want to focus on just executing, rather than leading. Now, what this means is that I'll probably somewhat limit my income for the near-term future. And, I'll be signaling to management that I'm out of the game. Now I'm just showing up for a paycheck, so to speak. I wont phrase it that way at all, in fact, I think I can say that I will be more successful in a slightly different role with a leader ahead of me calling the shots, and I'm just executing and making things happen behind the scenes. I think that's more "me" anyway.

It's taking me a long time to figure this out. A few life tragedies and some soul searching, but there's no shame in backing up a notch, right?

I'm realy into a lot of other stuff, and I just want to enjoy life a bit. Money and prestige isn't everything. I kind of just want to slow down and enjoy things. I don't like high pressure, and I don't like having to be the leader and people relying on me for that leadership. But, I do like making things happen and organizing things.

So, what would you think if you were my boss and I approached you with this idea and wanted to sort of back up a couple notches, recognizing my strengths and weaknesses.

I am open to all constructive thoughts.

Hopefully, a few of you can relate. Lemme know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    Bravo. Life is not a straight progression from low to high, it dips and weaves and I think it's wise of you to realize where you are now is not where you were before. I'm not your boss, and his personality will affect how he reacts. That being said, unless he's completely got his ego invested in the situation, and as long as you can frame it from the perspective of how this will be great for the company, I believe he probably will be at least willing to listen. On the flip side, with the economy the way it is and with so many of us doing the work of a couple of people/putting in longer hours/making do with less, it's possible the company really does need you to play the role you're now playing. Then you have to decide if you want to keep making the effort, or search for more compatible pastures Best of luck to you.
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would give it a little more time just to make sure it is what you really want to do. We all have ups and downs professionally and personally and sometimes your decisions are clouded because of what is going on in the moment. I would give it a little more time, maybe (if you can) take a few days off and clear your head. After some time if you still feel this way then I think you need to do what will make you happy... Life is too short to not enjoy it. Good luck to you.
  • sunnydays33
    sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been in this situation...first as the role you are currently in and then as the boss about 5 years later.

I was feeling a TON of pressure with my job, almost a full year of sleepless nights, poor eating habits, lack of time for anything except total consumption by my work, I was at a breaking point. I'm a super perfectionist and really scared of failing in general, so I set up the goal to take some time off...to evaluate what direction would be best. I ended up going to Thailand for 5 weeks. It was exactly what I needed to gain my perspective. I realized that I love/need/want to be in a fast paced work environment, challenging myself is what actually drives me.

The key for me was realizing and implementing "how to leave work at work, and how to leave home at home." I know this sounds a lot easier said than done, but it is exactly what I had to do to get my sanity back. And my beauty sleep. :-) I returned to work with a lot of clarity, my social and creative aspects of life returned and I felt balance. Yay...balance!! Oh, and being in a third world country, not speaking the language, seeing their reality is a good ***** slap. (not saying you need that, I most certainly do though)

I now make a point of setting travel goals based around my work deadlines, knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel keeps things moving in a forward momentum. I think you can have both worlds: a crazy, hectic, challenging career and a quiet, drama free, rewarding personal life.

Much later As the boss in this situation, it was really hard for me not to read between the lines and feel like my employee just couldn't hang. (obviously there are very justifiable reasons to step down) and maybe yours really are justified, only you will know that answer. However, try to think a few steps down the road and you are ready again for a promotion or something different: I would probably pass you up based on previous experience. It would be a shame to give up now and have those decisions haunt you in the future.

I say, take some more time...and instead of stepping down in your career, step it up in other areas of your life. You are right, there is more to life than money and work, and life does go on.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Glad I asked. I was ready to schedule a meeting with the boss and discuss.

I think I'll back off and wait a bit. See how things fall out.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I had a similar battle with this type of decision this fall. I had spent two years building up to a position that had promise of huge things and apparently was so close to achieving it but clearly didn't have the stuff to make it happen...I really wanted it and pushed but eventually had to make the decision to move on. There were financial sacrifices but the stress is virtually gone and quality of life is much better. Sometimes we need to make that scary leap. Pull off the bandaid
  • tretheb
    tretheb Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    those little things in life don't cost much do they ? My sister walked away from her 14 dollar an hour job to a 8 dollar an hour job.... she really didn't realize that her purse fetish made her really happy but she now can't afford to buy a new purse every couple months ... not the kind she likes ... and her career change has brought the same kind of problems just a different occupation ... *kitten* are in every workplace ... I hope things pan out for the best ..