Scale frustration.

Options
I have 2 scales. My favourite is a digital scale from Costco. It died before I decided to get in shape. So I used my regular scale and was 10 lbs heavier then I thought :( So I started at 210lbs. I had gained 10 lbs in a short matter of time, and it came right off in about 10 days. Weird.
Anyways I have batteries in my digital and that's the one I use everyday but it's about 4.5/5 lbs heavier then the regular one. Which is frustrating because I don't know exactly how much I've lost. I thought it was 18 lbs but might be 22.
Not sure the reason for this post. I'm just frustrated.

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I checked my new scale was accurate by going out and going on 2 pharmacy scales just after I went on my own scales. That way, I knew they were correct. Alternatively get weighed at the doctors and jump on your home scale right after or somesuch.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Take them both to the doctor next time you go.
  • ggg10031955
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear. I too, have a digital scale and I HATE, HATE, HATE the scale. It has never been kind to me especially lately. I have not been able to exercise since January due to some major health problems along with surgery. I am now getting back on the bandwagon and starting to exercise on a regular basis. I just hope the scale will be kinder to me. LOL
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    But what if the doctor says they're not sick?

Take them both to the doctor next time you go.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    My scale was driving me nuts so I took the battery out and stopped the emotional rollercoaster.
  • jackangel24
    Options
    I find it really helpful to minister my inches as well do when the scales are throwing me off I can still see what's happening.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Very few scales are calibrated to ensure accuracy. Rather than worrying about exactly what you weigh, just be consistent about which scale you use so you can see the progress.
  • jackangel24
    Options
    Um darn auto correct. Lol moniter my inches so I can see what's going on. Sorry
  • popsical101
    Options
    All scales can vary a few pounds so just stick to one set then u will know what ur loosing
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I've never done it, but I know some people check the accuracy by weighing things you already know the weight of like a five pound bag of flour.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Alternatively get weighed at the doctors and jump on your home scale right after or somesuch.

That's what we do. When we are weighed at the doctors, we come home and adjust our scale to the same.
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I checked my new scale was accurate by going out and going on 2 pharmacy scales just after I went on my own scales. That way, I knew they were correct. Alternatively get weighed at the doctors and jump on your home scale right after or somesuch.
    Let me just say that I work as a Nurse Practitiioner in a Doctor's surgery and our scales are probably the least accurate, it was the same when I worked in the hospital, they get misused
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I might add that I have bought some new scales and they make me 2 pounds heavier too, it seems to happen every time I buy new scales
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The best way to calibrate a scale is to put something that's a known weight on it and see what it says. Like a 10 pound bag of dog food or 5 lb. bag of flour.

But it really doesn't matter. Pick one and stick to it so you know how many pounds you've lost. We don't have an LCD display on our forehead so no one knows what the scale says. They only know how we look. If you get on one scale and it says 200 and another says 195, how you look didn't change.
  • MissMandroid
    MissMandroid Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can measure the accuracy of your scale by putting a weight on it. If you put a 8lb weight on it, and it isn't reading 8lbs, then adjust accordingly.