Heart Rate monitor Day 1, is this thing right!?!?!

Options
Jen8np
Jen8np Posts: 50 Member
Ok so normally I do my elliptical (a decent one and high resistance to begin with, not like the overused gym ones) so I usually go according to the calories it says and not MFP but then I even subtract a bunch just because I hear the machines always overdo it and I should rely on a heart rate monitor. I read reviews and got the Polar FT4 and used it today. I got it after my Ripped in 30 workout so I just did the elliptical with it and apparently my elliptical has a heart rate polar thing in it and it actually picked it up from the strap! so both the watch and my machine stayed consistent with the heart rate, exactly actually. But the calories on the elliptical after 30 mins said just over 200 and the watch said over 300, Normally I would enter 150 for mfp to be safe.

So do I rely on this heart rate monitor or just return it?! I had a great sweat going and heart rate stayed above 140 and I was doing free arms like punching and stuff. Can I really burn 300 in 30 mins with resistance??? Please help! lol more confused than ever!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor is going to be a lot more accurate if you enter in valid information.

300 calories in 30 minutes sounds very doable. I burn 600-650 per 30-35 minutes on the elliptical myself.

Edit:

Disclaimer: I am a large man and I use a high resistance with 85% max heart rate the entire time. 300 is reasonable for a more normal sized woman that's not killing themselves (guessing that's what you are)
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Mine does the same thing. The reason I think they are different is because the machine calculates the calories burned based on the resistance and speed while the HRM follows your heart rate and calculates it based on your height, weight and age. The machine doesn't know you height and weight unless you entered that in.

I think it being displayed on the machine is just handy for you. Some people like to be able to see their heart rate, but I don't think the machine is smart enough to use that rate to calculate a calorie burn for you. You can DEFINITELY burn 300 calories in 30 minutes. I burned 850 during my 70 minute run today, but then again my heart rate was about 170 the whole time :smile:
  • Jen8np
    Options
    Thanks guys this made my day. I have been underestimating my calories a lot!!! I am 5'7 and last weigh in 159 but I gained a couple since increasing my calories. No wonder why I was so fatigued before. I was doing the 1250 a day and I probably burned 600 and I would say 300 and not eat them all back. Hopefully I am on the right track now!
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am on day 1 of the Polar FT7.

I was distracted when I was first setting it up and it seemed to take lots of default settings. (It thought I was a girl).

I would go back through your personal settings and make sure it all looks correct. Make sure you keep the weight level accurate if you are dropping every week or so.

Have fun with the polar :)
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The monitor is probably correct. I was absolutely surprised how many calories I burned in 30 minutes of exercise but I believe it is correct. I eat back my exercise calories and I'm not gaining weight.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I stopped using my elliptical because the on board calorie counter was telling me I only burned 48 calories in 45 minutes. I mean, seriously, I can find more interesting things to use up 45 minutes.

300 is easily in the realm of possibility. Do check to make sure you answered all the set-up questions.
  • Jen8np
    Options
    Thanks all! I double checked again and all settings were accurate :) happy to finally know what I am burning! Can't wait to see what my ripped in 30 video does for me tomorrow