Completed - My first 5k!

Options
I've been running for about two months now. Let's clear this up right now - I am NOT a runner. I've thoroughly hated it for years, in fact. It runs in my family (hah, running puns). We don't run unless we're being chased.But I decided to try incorporating it into my journey to physical health. I started small - ten minute walk/jogs, which eventually turned into twenty minutes, slowly working my way into a full mile, etc. Tonight I ran my very first practice 5k - a bit more than, actually, I went 3.5 miles. Non stop running. Me. The non runner. WHAT?

I've been using MFP for nearly 3 months now and rarely participate in the message boards (incredible shyness gets the best of me :blushing:), but I've seen how supportive and kind you guys all are and I just had to share with you - you've all motivated me to keep working towards the healthiest me I can create :heart: :smile: I'm so excited to keep running!

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Good for you... keep it up!
  • Lindamack5987
    Options
    Good job keep up the good work.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! Keep it up! Best addiction on earth!!!
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Awesome job going the distance. :wink:
  • mom2fabfive
    mom2fabfive Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Liked how you explained your story, some of which made me giggle. I'm not a runner too, I've always walked, I hate running, but you have just given me a new incentive, thank you! And congratulations on all your achievements!
  • janjan369
    janjan369 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That's a huge NSV - Great job!
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is fantastic! I participated in my first 5K race on St. Patrick's Day with my 6 year old son. It felt GREAT, and was exciting, so I understand. Keep it up!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That is awesome and congratulations. I too was not a fan of running (former fat kid) but i started to run and now i love it. I turned from a gym rat to a running rabbit ( but i still like to push weight around too). It allows me to gather myself, so to speak. Im building up to do my first half-marathon this Fall, i hope you consider it and good luck with your goals.
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    That's brilliant!

I've just started running too, doing C25K. Hopefully i'll be able to achieive as much as you have!
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Congratulations! That is absolutely fantastic!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Great job! Now sign yourself up for a race so you can get further addicted and start a really amazing tshirt collection. :wink:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Very awesome! You have every reason to be so proud of yourself. Congratulations!
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I hate running! I am doing my first 5k in May and then another 5k in August for the warrior dash... It's becoming a love/hate relationship...
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    Congratulations, that is fantastic! I just completed my second ever 5K and I too am NOT a runner. I didn't run the whole thing either time but today I unofficially beat my last time by about 8 minutes. It's weird to say that I completed two, so I can just feel your pride! You go girl and enjoy it!
    Peace :flowerforyou:
  • jsenecal12
    Options
    Thanks to all of you so much, this is such a supportive place, I'm so glad I joined!
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I second signing up for an actual race - you will be totally hooked! The positive atmosphere, support, and encouragement really make it fun!

I started out hating running and was just walking. Then kept getting faster and faster, adding in some running, then started on 5K's and have completed 3 half marathons - all at well over 200 pounds! Today I completed what was (I think) my 8th 5K with a personal best of 0:36:36! It felt great!!

Regaining control over your body and your health feels SOOOO good!!!!
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I totallly get it I hated running too, I run *( a slow jog ) a 5k daily now too. You will get to where you want to get out there and run to see if today was better then yesterday. I will be running my first officall 5k Easter weekend. I entered just hoping I would be able to finish but I have a pace goal now. It might change by then. Keep up the wonderful work, you too will love it even the days you hate it Love will come.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Nice job! I was never a runner either until recently. Now it's all I think about. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!