Runners, Walkers, Joggers

Options
I just started running again, I forgot how much I loved it, but now I can't seem to keep going because my calves feel like they are going to explode out of my legs, I breathe just fine but I noticed when I walk this happens too. I am making an appointment to see my doctor about it but still wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were. Is it just because I haven't gotten used to it yet? Can something in my diet help (AKA more protein)? Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• p_barron
    p_barron Posts: 63
    Options
    BUMP
  • p_barron
    Options
    Anyone?
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're using the right type of shoes? If you can, you should definitely get to a running store where they can analyze your step/stride and recommend the best possible pair.
    Also, are you stretching before you go?
    One last thing: SLOW DOWN. You may feel fine cardiovascularly but your legs may have some catching up to do. Speed will come with time :)
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Are you properly stretching your calves after a run? Maybe try adding yoga to your workout routine too. For me I have found that if I have tight muscles they will tighten up even more after after I work out.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was thinking shoes too.
  • rufflestx
    rufflestx Posts: 76
    Options
    x-army, 60 yrs old, 55 pounds over healthy weight. I started walking, power walking, learned to walk one week for every 5 pounds you are overweight. I would not start running regularly till I reached 179.999999 .... I felt I needed to be at least in the 170's to keep my knees from caving.
    I am enjoying the accomplishment. Run 3 times a week. I want to be running 2 miles in a session when I get below 165. It will happen. Then when I get down to the 150's, I want to be running 5 miles at least once a week.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Also, don't add mileage too fast! A good rule to follow is to increase your weekly miles by no more than 10% a week.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but I also get out of breath very fast so I tend to mix up my runs in such that I run as much as I can then walk for about 1 min the run again and it seems to help but if you like it dont give up but like others might tell you if it carrys on then you must see your doctor as it could be some think else so good luck
    steve
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It happens when you walk too... have you been very inactive for the past few months?? If not then definitely see your doctor, If so then maybe you have lost the muscle you once had.
    Maybe you need to start slow with walks (plenty of hills) to build muscle. Eating lots of protein would help with that and then ease yourself into the running once walking is pain-free and easy! :) Best wishes
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    I used to run with regular jogging sneakers and my calves did bother me alot. Now I wear the Sketcher ShapeUps xtended fitness which I have found to relieve my calf pain. Probably a good idea for you to get checked by your doctor too to make sure all is fine for running.
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Shoes and Stretching! Go to a running shoe store and let them look at your gait. They will get you into the best pair. Are you talking the front of your calves or the back? I mean, you don't think shin splints do you?
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a special board you can prop up at various levels that we use to stretch out our achilles and calves. It's a life saver!!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    you might be doing too much too fast. I just got back on the treadmill 7 weeks ago after a 4 year break. The last time I walked/ran on a regular basis, I was up to 4mph at a 4% incline...for an HOUR every time. This time I wanted to get back up there as fast as I could. The first 2 weeks I went walking 5 times a week and I thought I was going to die. My calves would start cramping up in the first 15 minutes or so. The third week I dropped down to 3x per week and my calf cramps STOPPED.

I start at 2mph and work up to 3mph in the first 5 minutes or so...if I can, I bump it up to 3.2 mph for at least part of the workout. I am hoping to be up to 3.5mph in the next week or two...
  • p_barron
    Options
    My doctor said I shouldn't have any problems running (last time i saw him I was around 247lbs). I am now 217lbs and I have been jog/walking I keep my heart rate between 150-169 when jogging and when it hits 169 I walk to get it back down. I was thinking it maybe my shoes but I can't afford good shoes ( My husband and I are both full-time students living on pell grants and student loans.) I guess I'll just have to save up then.... I am going to talk to my doctor though. Oh and when I said it hurts when I walk I mean when I really really push myself. I thought it might be the way my feet land also, I tend to land on the middle part of my feet and then push through to my toes.... And I do mean my calves not my shins
  • 9Kasey
    9Kasey Posts: 5
    Options
    Also try to strengthen your calf muscles with calf raises and don't forget to stretch! It could be the shoes you are wearing too. Good luck!
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If money is a concern for you, then go to the running shoe store and have them recommend a few pairs for you, or at least tell you if you should be looking for a stability shoe, or a performance shoe, etc. (My guess is you're going to need a stability shoe), then do some online shopping! There are several sites online that can save you as much as 40% off the store prices!!!! I hope you find something because shoes are so important:)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I had that problem when I switched from wearing heels constantly to hikers (the tendons in my legs had shrunk because of the heels). I tell you it's way more comfortable now though :wink:
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Do you think it might be shin splints? I used to get them and the pain would range between feeling like someone had hit my shins with a hammer, or that there was a knife in my leg.

I got them from using a cheap pair of running shoes :/ I now have a good pair of Asics that I LOVE dearly(: I have to wear an insole for a little extra cushion, but all in all they're great.

Some stretches for shin splints - in case that's what this is:

On the balls of your feet, stand on a ledge (like a stair) with your heels hanging off. Hold for 50-60 seconds. Then bend your knees slightly and hold again.

Sit down on the floor. Put one leg out straight in front of you and hold the ends of a towel with your hands. With the ball of your foot, push the towel away from you (move your foot around, too. Don't just hold it in one position, move it back and forth, etc.) while you pull ends of the towel toward yourself. Do this for 30 seconds on each foot.

Other than that, ice them down after you run. Because I use these stretches every time I run, my shin splints don't even hurt anymore(: Buuuuut if I even run for 45 seconds and I haven't stretched, It'll hurt that day :/

Hope this helped!(:
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also, don't add mileage too fast! A good rule to follow is to increase your weekly miles by no more than 10% a week.

Yep(: if you start at one mile, wait a week - 10 days before you up your mileage to 2 miles, etc.