knee ouchie!

Options
started c25k program got to 1-3 and developed severe knee pain. rested two days pain went away. I weighed at 214. I have suspended program (grudgingly) and am now alternating days of walking 30 minutes with a day of walking 2 thirty minute sessions. Anyone have any idea when I should try my c25k program again? Like what weight? I really wanna do a 5k! maybe a mudder, with obstacles

Replies

• pokerrgurrl
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • pokerrgurrl
    Options
    :smokin:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    When I injured my knee back when I first started to run, I waited 2 weeks.
  • pokerrgurrl
    Options
    k thanks
  • amackenzie0214
    Options
    Could have to do with your running style. My story....I never ran for distance I've sprinted a lot (football, baseball, basketball, etc) but never ran or jogged in my life. I turned 35 and decided the skinniest people at the park were all runners, so I decided to try it. After about a mile my knees were killing me so much that they hurt for about a week. I went to the store and someone convinced me to buy better shoes so $170 later and a few weeks of resting I tried again. This time I walked 3 minutes ran a minute on and off after about 20 minutes my knees started hurting and I had to stop. I spoke to my girlfriends co-worker (a physical therapist who now runs the Harvrard running clinic). She told me about Pose style of running. I attended one of her seminars and did some research. I purchased some minimalist shoes (first five fingers) and from day one I have never had any knee pain at all. Now my calves are a different story. You really have to ease into this style or you WILL hurt you calves. When knees hurt it was pain (something wrong pain) my claves hurt was I went to hard and it was overworked soreness in the muscles and tendons. I now have a few different minimalist shoes and wouldn't run in anything but. Now to be fair I'm not a marathon runner I run from spring throu fall only about 5 miles a few times a week but without any pain. This style isn't for everyone but it worked for me so I thought I'd share.
  • pokerrgurrl
    Options
    yes I am interested in this style but not yet. Im running on gravel
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I would give it between 2 weeks to a month, the latter just erring on the side of caution. After 2 weeks I would try again but if you feel pain, stop. I know myself I have a bad knee and when I do things that are rough on my knees or heavily involve them, I can hurt it and take it easy for a week or so, depending on the intensity.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have long term knee problems. Every time I've ever tried running I usually succumb to knee pain within a few weeks. I'm on week 5 of c25k and no problems....the difference?
    I'm watching my speed....I don't push myself too hard or too far, that's usually where the injuries come from
    New shoes- I got fitted at a proper running store for a pair of shoes fit for me
    Knee brace - I never run without it. It's nothing hard core, but it's something that keeps the knee cap from moving around and keeps my knee hot

A lot of times knee pains come from week muscles that hold the kneecap in place. It would be a good idea to work some leg strengthening exercises into your workout, focusing on the thigh, calf, and to some extent your core. Give yourself a break but just as as warning, there will be some knee pain involved in strengthening these muscles...it shouldn't be severe, but the way to deal with it...ice and ibuprofen.
  • Guajardo73
    Guajardo73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love running distance! Lately my pcl has been killing me! I know I alternated dAys running resting icing heating and lifting to strengthen it as well! You have to find out what type of pain you have first! It could be your running form! It could be age. There are so many things! I as a athlete I would tell you to work thru the pain lift run and make it stronger I have seen to many people use a soar knee as a way to take time off! Not saying you will, just saying! Go to a athletic doctor not a family doctor if your looking for a professional opinion and think it is that serious! Hope u feel better and keep working hard!