Exercise

Options
Hi I am 60 years old and have had 2 knee surgeries and 2 years ago brokemy foot in four places. Just starting to exercise again and twisted my knee I guess. It now hurts on the back side. Any ideas on how I can exercise and hopefully not hurt myself again. All I was doing was a stepping exercise on the WII...Any help would be greatly appreciated. :happy:
Thanks Marge

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    swimming and cycling are the two most low impact cardio work outs out there. most runners and cyclists with knee injuries will rehabilitate by swimming.
  • stringqueen16
    Options
    I have very bad knees myself, and my exercise is relatively limited. What I do is swim. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. It is so low-impact that your joints leave the pool happy, and you get a great workout (an arguably better workout than walking/jogging). If swimming isn't an option for you, make sure you're wearing a good brace, wrap your knee, whatever you need to do to give your knees the support they need.
    Also, at night I like to rub lotion into my knees and take an aspirin to help prevent swelling or stiffness in the morning.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Yes! I had horrible stress fractures in my feet, and the only way I kept myself active (and sane) was through swimming. Consistently going to the pool became a habit and I began to look forward to the first dive in the morning.
  • NamsdnaL
    NamsdnaL Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Three yrs ago I broke my fibula at the head beside the knee and tore over half the muscles and tendons around my knee. After the bone healed I was sent to physio and they put me right onto a bike. For the love of god it was so painful but it worked and it got the movement back into my knee and it's as good as new three yrs on. So from then on when ever my knees are bugging me I just get on my bike and the pain just seem to go away. I hope this helps. Good luck.
  • margejonez
    Options
    Never even thought of that. I really appreciate the answer. Best one I recieved. Thank you so much...:smile:
  • margejonez
    Options
    Awesome information. I really appreciate it. I don't have a pool but our local YMCA does. Thanks for your help
  • margejonez
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice. I will try riding...sure hope I don't fall...just kidding..I will try a stationary bike..great ino..truly appreciated.
  • margejonez
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice..everyone but me seemed to think of swimming...ha ha....I will give it a try for sure..thanks again..