Tomorrow is my first "race day"...

Options
DRetel
DRetel Posts: 136 Member
Yikes! Tomorrow I'm running, (or at least I will try to run) a 8km womens only run. I haven't done any outside training in months, just treadmill, and on top of that, I haven't been to the gym in a couple weeks due to some medical issues. On top of all that, I sprained my foot 2 months ago, and it's still a bit tweaky!

Feel free to leave me your best tips for a great first time! :-)

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Here's the best tip I can give you. Have fun. Stay in your own zone. Get to the finish line.

If you've never run a race before there will be lot's of distractions. It will seem like everyone and thier brother is passing you. You can get sucked in to trying to keep up and push too hard too early.

Just go out and run like you run. Have fun. Stay within what you can do and don't worry about the rest. Let the speedsters run by you. There will be plenty behind you also. Run your own race.

PS: Did I mention the have fun part?
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    ^^this

great advice from mmapags. Run your race, dont outpace yourself, stay hydrated, have FUN...and when you cross the finish line either smile or cry knowing you are awesome. :flowerforyou:
  • DRetel
    Options
    Here's the best tip I can give you. Have fun. Stay in your own zone. Get to the finish line.

If you've never run a race before there will be lot's of distractions. It will seem like everyone and thier brother is passing you. You can get sucked in to trying to keep up and push too hard too early.

Just go out and run like you run. Have fun. Stay within what you can do and don't worry about the rest. Let the speedsters run by you. There will be plenty behind you also. Run your own race.

PS: Did I mention the have fun part?

Thanks! I could see myself pushing too hard with everyone passing me... Good thing it won't be all the brothers, just everyone's sister, mother and aunt! lol
  • mmapags
    Options
    Post back and let us now how it went! Very exciting!
  • DRetel
    Options
    All done! 8km in 47:51. I finished 62nd out of 150 runners, and 12/25 in my age group. I'm happy with that, considering it was my first time out.
    The weather was fantastic, and the course was great. Nothing like running with the ocean and mountains as your scenery.

Now I'm looking forward to another race!
  • mmapags
    Options
    Nice going! Sounds like you handled your first race with flying colors!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    All done! 8km in 47:51. I finished 62nd out of 150 runners, and 12/25 in my age group. I'm happy with that, considering it was my first time out.
    The weather was fantastic, and the course was great. Nothing like running with the ocean and mountains as your scenery.

WTG OP!!

You'll be addicted now, you know that don't you hehe
  • DRetel
    Options

WTG OP!!

You'll be addicted now, you know that don't you hehe

Thanks!
    I've already scanned through the race listing to pick my next one! :-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats.......races are like Lays potato chips, "betcha can't just run one" :laugh: